BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Question For Anyone Running a SSK

what SSK are you guys running and while engaging from one gear to another is there some sort of mechanical noise that you hear that wasnt there before the SSK? just wondering if that was normal in all SSKs cause i got a B&M kit installed and i hear this noise when shifting from gear to gear. Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I've had 2 UUC in my BMWs. Both took about 2-3 days of driving for the grease to loosen up the shifts. Originally, they felt and sounded "notchy". Not sure if that is the noise you're hearing.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynew135 View Post
I've had 2 UUC in my BMWs. Both took about 2-3 days of driving for the grease to loosen up the shifts. Originally, they felt and sounded "notchy". Not sure if that is the noise you're hearing.
did the "notchy" noise sound kind of like metel hitting eachother? that's what i'm hearing, not like a metel piece is loose and hitting something but more like the gear engaging in the tranny. I dont know if that makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I just sounded like a normal gear change, but clicky or notchy. Nothing out of the ordinary that would give me concern if it hadn't smoothed out. But it always did loosen up and sound quieter.

I'd say as long as they greased up the ball joint enough, you'll be ok. If it doesn't go away or quiet down in a few days, you might want to question it with them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

i won't have my car for a week but i'll see if it quiets after i get it back.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynew135 View Post
I'd say as long as they greased up the ball joint enough, you'll be ok. If it doesn't go away or quiet down in a few days, you might want to question it with them.
The B&M unit has the ball portion of the bearing empregnated with lubricant, so as the unit gets used more and more, the bearing releases the lubricant and the shift will smooth out. No need to pre-grease the ball (in fact, you can't since the bearing is a self enclosed one).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The B&M unit has the ball portion of the bearing empregnated with lubricant, so as the unit gets used more and more, the bearing releases the lubricant and the shift will smooth out. No need to pre-grease the ball (in fact, you can't since the bearing is a self enclosed one).
thanks for clearing this up!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

UUC on mine for 12,000 + miles no issues
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBMW.net View Post
UUC on mine for 12,000 + miles no issues
when first installed did it feel more "notchy" and have a "clicky" or "notchy" sound to it when shifting?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
when first installed did it feel more "notchy" and have a "clicky" or "notchy" sound to it when shifting?
I had a UUC EVO II on my 323Ci and then a B&M in the same car, and the clicky/notchy noise was present with both unit. Not surprising, UUC also uses a metal bearing structure instead of urethane/plastic like BMW to give a more solid and direct feel in the shift (to take all the slop out, so to speak).

You may also want to see if the guys at AFE have driven other BMWs through their shop with short shift kits with bearing type pivots and see if the same noise is present. As far as I know, there's really only a couple of manufacturers on the market that has shifts as quiet as BMW, and they all compromise by using some sort of urethane pivot point to reduce the "noise."
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
untouchableE82
1Addict, and Proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 modified 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
i use the bmw performance shift kit and i havent hadnt any problems with it yet. i did hear some noise when i first installed it , but now i dont hear anything, just have to work it in for a day or two.
the new look: Widebody 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...98#post7686798
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
did the "notchy" noise sound kind of like metel hitting eachother? that's what i'm hearing, not like a metel piece is loose and hitting something but more like the gear engaging in the tranny. I dont know if that makes sense...
Had to resurrect this thread as I am getting a similar noise. Mine is when I am IN 2nd or 3rd gear it sounds like there is some metal slight scraping together. Almost as if the drive axel and the selector arm are slightly touching in those gears....anyone else experience this. It kinda scared me. I will try to take a video and get sound of it later this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Had to resurrect this thread as I am getting a similar noise. Mine is when I am IN 2nd or 3rd gear it sounds like there is some metal slight scraping together. Almost as if the drive axel and the selector arm are slightly touching in those gears....anyone else experience this. It kinda scared me. I will try to take a video and get sound of it later this weekend.
Does the noise persist while shifter is in gear? I've heard all sorts of noises, and one associated with some short shift kit is the lack of isolation will transmit the noises the synchros make right back up the shaft. Back when B&M made a "race" only version of their 45125 shifter, I sat in a car with that installed and it sounded like the bottom of the stick is rubbing the drive-shaft while in gear. Only made that noise on that particular car, and we looked everywhere for signs of interference...Not until we tried another SSK in the same car and it made the same noise did we decide that that particular E36 just had a very noisy synchros.

Another thing to check, is to lift up the boot(s) and see if the rubber o-ring is sitting properly between the carrier's metal cup and the base of the B&M unit. Sometimes when the rubber o-ring is broken or not sitting right, it'll allow the base to rub against the carrier arm's cup and make that noise like it's scraping against something.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Hmm...interesting. Yeah the noise does persist while the shifter is in certain gears. Tomorrow morning I will lift up the shift boot and insulation material and take another look. After this weeks track time I am confident that it is not adversely effecting my shifts or shift action...the noise is just irritating. Also a UUC vendor at the track mentioned something about B&M shifters breaking....was so confident that he offered to buy my broken shifter (because he was sure it would eventually happen) for $100 off of the UUC version for the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
vitig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I have a similar noise since mount it.My unit is a revised one.
135ijb3, h & r filter, SSK, CDV,clutch stop, klracing fmic,seccond catted ,225-255 michelin ps3, E93F-E92R swaybars.M3 parts front.M3 tension rear.Plates mod(F-2,0º R-1,5º).Bilstein + stock springs.Ps rotors.Subframe bushings.Weichers fstruut.Finally mods sdiff and raceland dp.

Last edited by vitig; 10-06-2009 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #16
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Actually even with the new revised shifter installed it still makes the sound that adrean8J described, I guess I just got used to it but his post reminded me about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Also a UUC vendor at the track mentioned something about B&M shifters breaking....was so confident that he offered to buy my broken shifter (because he was sure it would eventually happen) for $100 off of the UUC version for the 135i.
That sort of marketing tactic turns me off. I mean, I AM a UUC distributor too, and I would be a little upset if someone says that UUC shifters are junk because so-and-so has had one break on his/her car that he heard about from the intarweb. As far as I am concerned, every single UUC short shifter was built to an exceptional standard and so is the B&M one. I've had them side by side for comparison and they use the same grade stainless steel.

I've seen the pictures of the so-called broken B&M shifter, and the thread discussing it, and frankly, ANY shifter would have broken in that case since it looked like the heat from a heavily modified exhaust manifold caused a weakening in the strength of the 303S stainless steel material. The guy should count his lucky stars that THAT had happened since that heat was going to destroy other components of the drive-train as well. Plus the B&M shifter comes with a Million Mile warranty and the guy didn't bother to contact B&M about the broken shifter makes me a little suspicious of the claim.

I would have to listen to the noise to make a fair assessment as to what is causing it. I know practically every SSK I've installed with a mechanical bearing like the B&M or UUC design magnifies any noise that might be present in the transmission. If you can post a YouTube video or something similar, I might be able to pass it along to the B&M Engineers to assess whether or not it's a noise inherent in the transmission or if it's an interference issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^Ok I will try to do one tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for your fair assessment and observations regarding the UUC and B&M SSK's. I was in serious doubt that he knew exactly what he was talking about....funny that he is the manager of the UUC store here in the ATL region.
Appreciate 0