BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
Kkuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Schmiedmann order to AU and GST

Hello,

It's been a while since I've needed to make an order from Schmiedmann, and in the past, I have been stung by the GST at customs for orders over AU$1000, as outlined in this sticky

However, it seems that information is now out of date, and searching has not revealed any new information.

So, the issue:

Since around the middle of last year, the government has changed the GST rules on items ordered from overseas, and the threshold for GST being applicable, has been reduced from $1000, to zero. This means that Ali Express, eBay et al. have now begun charging GST at checkout, problem solved, no need to pay "at the border".

Where does this leave Schmiedmann? As far as I can tell, during ordering, there is no line item for GST that is being charged. Does this mean that every package that I will order will go through the same process as packages over AU$1000 under the previous rules?

Reason I ask is, previously, it was not a case of paying the 10% and you have your parts. As outlined in that thread i linked above, there are other charges and admin fees charged, and so it works out to being closer to somewhere around 20+%, which is very significant.

My question:

Has anyone ordered a sub-AU$1000 package from Schmiedmann in the last 6-8 months? What was your experience, was it stopped at the border? I'm hoping to have a few responses, as I know that even under the old rules, it was a bit luck-of-the-draw whether it would get stopped.

Any one had experiences they can share, with any other vendors that don't charge the GST at checkout, since these new rules came in?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 03:07 AM   #2
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

As you mention, the ATO changes last year mean you will pay GST and Duty, if applicable, on all low value goods. The $1000 rule is no longer in place.

All shippers I have used will calculate the GST (10%) and Duty (5%) for you and demand payment before releasing the goods for delivery. The customs entry fee of $83 is also added to the fees and my last overseas purchase attracted a security fee of $9.95

All companies I buy parts from, including Schmiedmann, don't calculate GST, Duty and Fees. They won't indulge your request to undervalue the parts to save you tax and charges either. Mainly due to insurance coverage risks, not to mention the fraudulent request in the first place. There are some who sell parts locally, still getting away with this but you can bet the ATO has them in their sights.

I make sure I have large enough parts to order at one time so that the admin fees and customs entry make a negligible impact on the purchase. I do however, order very large parts locally due to the excessive shipping costs ie. under-body protection panels.

Alternatively ask for the best price at BMW and pay margin, duty, tax and fees regardless.

I have not experienced any luck with charges and fees for a long time now. Those days are gone.

135i - RHD Bottom Mount Single Turbo - GTX3584RS
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 04:39 AM   #3
Kkuba
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i2 View Post

All shippers I have used will calculate the GST (10%) and Duty (5%) for you and demand payment before releasing the goods for delivery. The customs entry fee of $83 is also added to the fees and my last overseas purchase attracted a security fee of $9.95
Thanks for your response. Is this the same process that was used for 1000+ purchases under the previous rules? Are you saying this will now happen to all orders however big or small from these sellers?

Quote:
There are some who sell parts locally, still getting away with this but you can bet the ATO has them in their sights.
Anyone I can get in touch with?

I'm curious as to why there is a duty payable (5%) on top of GST, when items purchased from e.g. Ali Express are exempt from this, and there is only 10% GST payable.

Either way, if I want to calculate my final value I should be looking at 5% duty (on goods + shipping) then 10% GST (on good + shipping + duty) , then around $95 fixed fee?

eg.
Goods: 500
Shipping: 25
Duty: 525*.05 = 26.25
GST: (525+26.25)*.1 = 55.13
Fees: ~95
TOTAL: 701.38

Is that right? Or is the GST and duty calculation reversed?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

recently bought from fcpeuro and had no issues
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkuba View Post
Thanks for your response. Is this the same process that was used for 1000+ purchases under the previous rules? Are you saying this will now happen to all orders however big or small from these sellers?

Anyone I can get in touch with?

I'm curious as to why there is a duty payable (5%) on top of GST, when items purchased from e.g. Ali Express are exempt from this, and there is only 10% GST payable.

Either way, if I want to calculate my final value I should be looking at 5% duty (on goods + shipping) then 10% GST (on good + shipping + duty) , then around $95 fixed fee?

eg.
Goods: 500
Shipping: 25
Duty: 525*.05 = 26.25
GST: (525+26.25)*.1 = 55.13
Fees: ~95
TOTAL: 701.38

Is that right? Or is the GST and duty calculation reversed?

The finer points of tax, duty and import charges are best investigated through the relevant government bodies or with your shipper. Second guessing calculations to the exact dollar and cent is frivolous as I find the duty charges vary depending on the purchase.

Best to add 15% to all sizeable purchases including freight, plus admin/customs charges of around $100 dollars to avoid disappointment to the last dollar and cent. Arguments with customs, shippers and freight forwarders, in my experience, are ones you will loose.

Car parts from China should attract GST and Duty. If you have managed not to pay the duty through AliExpress then count it as a bonus. Perhaps they have classified the goods as non-duty items to avoid payments.

Last edited by 135i2; 04-28-2019 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post
recently bought from fcpeuro and had no issues
I did a $925 (not gst on it) order recently through pelican parts and it got through without issue. It's probably the same as before where not every package is checked and you play the customs lottery.
      04-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

https://www.abf.gov.au/buying-online/buying-online

It's the same as before. I have not seen anyone get a package withheld by customs pending GST+duty collection <$1000. It very clearly says that:

Quote:
For goods with a value of AUD1000 or less, there are generally no duties, taxes or charges to pay at the border.
However, From 1 July 2018, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) may be collected by overseas vendors of such low value goods when imported from overseas by consumers in Australia. GST will be charged at the point of sale and not at the border.
You can most certainly calculate duties and GST. Fees are carrier dependent and largely based around holding the item before releasing it to you and sending an invoice. Ie, sfa.

I've been ordering heaps of stuff from vendors that do not collect GST for the govco, nothing's changed between now and 5 years ago personally. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
RadiuM37.50
      05-02-2019, 04:29 AM   #8
Kkuba
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
https://www.abf.gov.au/buying-online/buying-online

It's the same as before. I have not seen anyone get a package withheld by customs pending GST+duty collection <$1000. It very clearly says that:

You can most certainly calculate duties and GST. Fees are carrier dependent and largely based around holding the item before releasing it to you and sending an invoice. Ie, sfa.

I've been ordering heaps of stuff from vendors that do not collect GST for the govco, nothing's changed between now and 5 years ago personally. YMMV.
Thanks for your input, that is valuable information to me, and actually makes sense now that I think about it.

Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:58 AM   #9
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Spoke too soon. Bought a set of index12 injectors from Schmiedmann and got a pending custom payment status now on DHL. Maybe it depends on which carrier the seller uses?

Update: had to pay $290 in duty and gst. Still works out cheaper than any local options available for a set of index 12s.

Last edited by ansch; 05-08-2019 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
The Blimp
Private
Rep
Drives: A Car

That’s disappointing. I have a big order planned from schmiedmann and was hoping to avoid this crap
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
The Blimp
Private
Rep
Drives: A Car

Well, I ordered a bmw performance spoiler for my e88 (it’s different to e82 so ebay copies don’t dit well at all), and I don’t appear to have been charged any additional fees. Very happy about it
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Today, as per norm, my $1300 order from Schmiedmann attracts $305 in charges, duties and taxes through DHL before delivery.

Same situation with a $1700 order from FCP Euro and UPS with duties and taxes of $261.

DHL Charges

Attached Images

Last edited by 135i2; 05-27-2019 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Here are the UPS charges for comparison on a $1700 order.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #14
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Same as it always has been.
The ICE/carrier withholds it when value exceeds $1k which you have done by a longshot.

I've done 3x FCP orders all under 1k without any additional fees nor GST.

> 1K: Withheld at border, duties + release fees payable. GST fee payable if the company you bought from did NOT collect from you upon point of sale.

< 1k: GST supposed to be collected by vendor. Most vendors see no sense in it and don't bother.

I can show you an akra axle back that falls into category one, no escaping that. Along with multiple others that fall in category 2. The wording is very simple to understand. Now, for example order from Amazon, eBay, summit racing... those vendors collect GST regardless of the amount.
Appreciate 0