BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

How Invisible is Invisible?

I see alot of people with the Clear Bra on their cars so I was wondering, how invisible is this "Invisible Clear Bra"

From 10 feet away can you tell? from 5? from 1?

Does it collect rain spots? Let me know your thoughts on this product...

P.S. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I searched but with 300 million posts mentioning the word "Bra" it was hard to narrow it down...some of you guys are nasty
      07-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
JN2009
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

3m on black saphir !

When is sunshine and car was fresh washing:

6 feet nothing,3 feet you need to be concentrate,1 feet you will see but not if you look the car in the front,1 feet you will see perfectly.

But in the black car is always more in everything.You wash your car after 2 days you will see the dirt and in the same time the 3m film until a 5'.

I hope it will help you !!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

The biggest clue is the line along the edge - otherwise I don't think you could tell.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

I have had a precut 3m paint protection film kit on my old Impala for about six years/90,000 miles.

Initially, it was very transparent. As time goes on, it hasn't been as transparent - starting to notice a little bit of yellowing. Not too much, but you can tell where it is when you're within at least 3 feet. Here and there a little bit of dirt has gotten under the edges, making the line more apparent. It also has sustained some scratches here and there from where (I assume) stones have impacted it, but nothing major - all that means is it was doing its job. If I was intent on keeping the car, I might think about replacing it. (There is a warranty against yellowing, but I think I've gone past it by this point.)

I don't have any regrets about doing it, and I'm pricing a kit for the 135i now, but like everything, it isn't perfect.

One other thing I wasn't happy with was the fact that the pre-cut kit I had installed wasn't very wide, and so I still sustained some rock chips further up the hood. I think the 1-series kit covers a larger area. Some friends of mine buy sheets of the film and apply it themselves over the ENTIRE hood. I'd be thinking of doing that but for the fact that I'd have to figure out how to properly cut around the Roundel, for which my C+ in 8th grade art skills may not be up to the challenge.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
I have had a precut 3m paint protection film kit on my old Impala for about six years/90,000 miles.

Initially, it was very transparent. As time goes on, it hasn't been as transparent - starting to notice a little bit of yellowing. Not too much, but you can tell where it is when you're within at least 3 feet. Here and there a little bit of dirt has gotten under the edges, making the line more apparent. It also has sustained some scratches here and there from where (I assume) stones have impacted it, but nothing major - all that means is it was doing its job. If I was intent on keeping the car, I might think about replacing it. (There is a warranty against yellowing, but I think I've gone past it by this point.)

I don't have any regrets about doing it, and I'm pricing a kit for the 135i now, but like everything, it isn't perfect.

One other thing I wasn't happy with was the fact that the pre-cut kit I had installed wasn't very wide, and so I still sustained some rock chips further up the hood. I think the 1-series kit covers a larger area. Some friends of mine buy sheets of the film and apply it themselves over the ENTIRE hood. I'd be thinking of doing that but for the fact that I'd have to figure out how to properly cut around the Roundel, for which my C+ in 8th grade art skills may not be up to the challenge.

I have silver and 5 feet away you can't tell, if your a foot away you can't tell unless your looking where the line is. People noticed it only on my hood when they looking around the car, when I tell em my sides skirts and both bumpers are done they don't believe. untill I show em where they cut the film. Overall I am very happy with the product. It took professional about 8 hours to finish. I was present during the entire install and it requires a lot of patience and experience. It isn't something I would try doing myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
zerbitini
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The only thing visible on my AW car is the line across the hood. You'd have to be VERY close to notice the film itself. Regardless, I'd much rather have a visible line versus the road rash that I got on my last BMW!
      07-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Anyone have it on Le Mans blue or Black...it has to be very noticable on dark colors
      07-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
I have silver and 5 feet away you can't tell, if your a foot away you can't tell unless your looking where the line is. People noticed it only on my hood when they looking around the car, when I tell em my sides skirts and both bumpers are done they don't believe. untill I show em where they cut the film. Overall I am very happy with the product. It took professional about 8 hours to finish. I was present during the entire install and it requires a lot of patience and experience. It isn't something I would try doing myself.
My Impala is silver, too - I agree, it's very invisible at first. Just became more noticable over time.

Should also note that the film on my hood was re-installed by an auto body shop after getting into an accident. I didn't get the sense that they had done a lot of installations. Take that for what it's worth.

I saw a crimson red 1er with a clear bra on last year. It wasn't noticable at all until I was right next to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
My Impala is silver, too - I agree, it's very invisible at first. Just became more noticable over time.
Wanna be a -- baller, shot caller
Twenty inch blades -- on the Impala
A caller gettin laid tonight
Swisher rolled tight, gotta spray my ice
I hit the HIIIGHWAY, making money the FLYYYY WAY
But there's got to be a BETT-ER WAYY!
A better way, better way, YEAH-AHHHH

Sorry, word association
      07-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
pjdvd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i-Monaco-Euro Deliv

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I have it on my Monaco 1er (closest to black you're gonna get). It is freshly installed (within the week) and looks very good. The piece on the hood is noticeable only because it doesn't cover the whole hood. There is a tiny edge that is noticeable from 3-5 feet if you're looking for it. The headlights, fenders, and front fascia are not noticeable because the edges match the panels.

Do your self a favor and next time you're in a packed parking lot, find a row where you can walk along the fronts of cars. Walk around to see if you can pick out the cars that have it. If you can pick them out and it looks distasteful to you, then don't get it.

While you're there, look at the cars that have all the bugs, rock chips and dings too. If that looks more distasteful, then you have your answer.

Makes cleaning off bugs and tar easier too!

Oh yeah, watch out for the whistling side view mirrors if you do get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Wanna be a -- baller, shot caller
Twenty inch blades -- on the Impala
A caller gettin laid tonight
Swisher rolled tight, gotta spray my ice
I hit the HIIIGHWAY, making money the FLYYYY WAY
But there's got to be a BETT-ER WAYY!
A better way, better way, YEAH-AHHHH

Sorry, word association
Yo, don't you go knockin' the P-I-M-Pala, brah.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Having seen a number of 1ers in various colors with the clear bra, I can tell you that for the most part, it is invisible. On White, it's the most noticeable, particularly if, like mine, it yellowed a lot in the first year. But after you have them redo it, it looks pretty good.

On the other colors, I have a hard time seeing it even when I'm looking. I don't think dirt makes so much of a difference, but I'll let others with darker colors chime in. Usually when I see them around here, we're at a meet or something where the cars are cleaner.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
ucdvwchan
Rep
Drives: 128i

i just had my SGM clear-bra'ed last week and the most obvious part of the kit was the hood line....the bumper portion is totally invisible as it has no cut-off seams...
Appreciate 0