BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #23
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Awesome. Go for it. It may very well work. I'm becoming optimistic it might, and congrats in advance if it does. Do be sure of course to keep a close eye on the parts after every few hours of driving at first, and periodically after that, and be sure it really worked not just kinda worked. Given the abuse they take I kinda doubt it, and given the time involved to swap them I don't think it's worth the effort, but I totally admit it may work and hey - go for it.

Either way, may as well end this thread and start a new one after you've done it. You asked for opinions, people that know 3D printing replied, you bashed them and have left everyone confused. Do it and report back in a year if it worked and they held up.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #24
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
The notion that this is a bad idea has been raised more than once, and the same reason WHY it's a bad idea--3d prints not homogenous enough, in an extremely unlikely scenario someone could be hurt or killed if the bushings fail--has been promulgated over and over. If someone has new ideas, critical or positive, they are welcome in the thread. I understand the risks and consequences, and I'm not deterred. Rehashing the same old arguments when I've acknowledged them is not going to accomplish anything. That's why I asked them to take those discussions private: they've run their course, as far as I'm concerned, and a back-and-forth will do nothing for this thread.
So, you started a thread with the intent of finding or discussing only things confirming your hypothesis?

Look, I tried to be diplomatic.

Buy 'em books, and buy 'em books, and all they do is eat the covers.

Aside from it being made with a cool machine, it's a stupid idea for this application.

Ask yourself, "In what way does this make bushings better?"

No upside. None.

You apparently have to find that out for yourself.

07-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #25
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
new ideas
And there's nothing "new" about your "idea".