BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Stiffer sidewall: MPS4 or AS3+?

Okay I apologize if this is a completely newb question, but does anyone know, or is there a way to find out from the specs, which tire has a stiffer sidewall between the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+?

Appreciate any help!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I can't answer your direct question 100% other than telling you Michelin's notoriously have a softer side wall than most of their competitors.

PS4S a street tire that you can track with a 30k warranty. I can't see where you're from on my phone, but if you drive them in 30-40 degree weather spring and fall they spin pretty easy when cold.

AS3+ a performance all season, not for track use, with a 45k warranty and a bit blockier shoulder.
If you drive your car year round a better choice.

I have the 4 S on a FBO (soon to be PS2) N55. I love them and have them set to the higher PSI setting labeled on the door. The biggest thing that got rid of my suspension deflection (wandering with a snappy feel) after taking the run flats off (and trying many tires) was installing AGK RSFB. Transformed the car in the corners and under full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Appreciate the response! So this thread kind of goes hand in hand with the “Which tire do you recommend?” thread right above it.

My main reason for asking this question is I currently have the BMW Performance Suspension on the car, which was still engineered with run-flats in mind. However the tires I currently have on the car are the Continental DWS06, and while they are pretty good, I’m not all that happy with the steering response.

However I don’t want to go back to run flats, especially since I have M3 front arms and rear subframe bushings. It would probably be pretty jarring. So I’m looking for a middle ground tire that will give good grip and response on the street and canyons. All season ability would be preferred but not required.

To add to this, I do have the AS3+ on my Honda Accord. I’ve been really happy with them on my Honda, including steering feel and response. But it’s not exactly a direct comparison to having them on the 1er. I’ve never driven the MPS4 or it’s predecessors but I always hear good things. Just trying to find what might work best for my current setup, even it is an all season.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

So I went through tires as follows on my 128i:

BridgeStone RE760 -> Conti ExtremeContactSport -> Firestone Indy 500

Conti's had the best ride and wet grip, but at the expense of wonky steering response and sidewall softness. Bridgestone's had the best steering and worst ride, so so in the dry and the wet (older tire and it showed). Indy 500's steering response is almost as crisp as the bridgestone, and it's a better tire in the dry and about the same as the RE760 in the wet.

It's all relative, compared to your DWS06 the Conti ExtremeContactSport *should* have a stiffer sidewall and better response but at the expense of all weather ability (since it's their summer performance tire not an all weather performance tire). What you consider "crisp" response vs what I do will vary, so it depends what will be most important to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:31 AM   #5
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Don't get the MP Sport 4. That one has a very soft side wall. My suggestion is to either get the "4S" version of the Michelin pilot sport tire or otherwise choose another brand.
Appreciate 0