BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

01-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #23
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
No they wouldn't.

The car is launched already into the throttle, and you're back on the even as your foot is coming back off the clutch. We're talking about minuscule gains in speed, and gains in sensitivity.

Throttle sensitivity has absolutely no effect if you are running at 100% throttle.

There is generally a ton of room to dial up the OEM throttle tip in settings. Not that you'd necessarily want to, as faster isn't always better, but its not like the "gains" aren't there to be had.
Exactly. Throttle tip in is what is being modified here!!! Not in gear acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
What would prevent them from simply dialing up the ratio of actual % throttle opening to the % throttle your foot has depressed. Or even simply changing the built in delay in the OEM throttle???

Some people in here don't even seem to understand how an e-throttle functions.
That's exactly what it does. This is all described in the pdf, but I'll repeat here:

On a stock car with electronic throttle control the position of the accelerator pedal is converted to a voltage for the ECU to read so the ECU knows how far you pushed the pedal. The "sprint booster" increases that voltage by about 30%, so when your foot is 2/3 of the way down it reads as full open to the ECU. This has the side effect of there being a dead spot between 2/3 of the way and all the way down where changes in the pedal position have no effect on the throttle.

So if you are really short and cant push the pedal down all the way, or maybe your seat is stuck all the way back, this is a great mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #25
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
Hey John why don't you post his conclusions which pretty much support everything I am saying. The Sprint Booster makes the throttle 30% more sensitive. Get back to me when you actually drive a car with one and without one back to back. Till that happens your opinion means nothing.
Here is his conclusion (verbatim):

The Sprint Booster is a simple amplifier that multiplies the accelerator pedal
sensor signal, making the accelerator pedal more sensitive. It does not eliminate
any significant delay in throttle response, nor does it greatly improve acceleration
figures. It does not change the adaptive throttle control programming of
electronic throttle control vehicles. It does change pedal “feel”. This change in
feel is interpreted by some as improved throttle response, acceleration, and a
change in adaptive throttle control programming. Considering what it actually
does, it is expensive.

I feel this is turning into a religious argument so I'll leave it there.

At the risk of inciting a flame war, I would however like to add that the claims on their website are nonsensical given what the product actually does.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #26
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
Here is his conclusion (verbatim):

The Sprint Booster is a simple amplifier that multiplies the accelerator pedal
sensor signal, making the accelerator pedal more sensitive. It does not eliminate
any significant delay in throttle response, nor does it greatly improve acceleration
figures. It does not change the adaptive throttle control programming of
electronic throttle control vehicles. It does change pedal “feel”. This change in
feel is interpreted by some as improved throttle response, acceleration, and a
change in adaptive throttle control programming. Considering what it actually
does, it is expensive.

I feel this is turning into a religious argument so I'll leave it there.

At the risk of inciting a flame war, I would however like to add that the claims on their website are nonsensical given what the product actually does.
No arguments here, simply a healthy discussion with differing viewpoints. I consider myself to be a huge skeptic and was in doubt until I tried it. With that being said I have never been much of a believer in pr and marketing materials. What I do believe in is word of mouth and real word experience from real people who have no vested interest in the product or its success , two things which the SP has plenty of. :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #27
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
No arguments here, simply a healthy discussion with differing viewpoints. I consider myself to be a huge skeptic and was in doubt until I tried it. With that being said I have never been much of a believer in pr and marketing materials. What I do believe in is word of mouth and real word experience from real people who have no vested interest in the product or its success , two things which the SP has plenty of. :headbang:
You do have to admit if people understood their car wouldn't be any faster after the mod than before it they wouldn't be in business....

I'll concede some people prefer a touchy throttle, maybe this is something BMW should add on the M cars iDrive configuration.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #28
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You do have to admit if people understood their car wouldn't be any faster after the mod than before it they wouldn't be in business....

I'll concede some people prefer a touchy throttle, maybe this is something BMW should add on the M cars iDrive configuration.
Agreed. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #29
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Like I said earlier, I'll wait for Procede. Good thing about Procede is that it works in conjunction with the ECU. Not override your ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #30
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

I could never knowingly install a "performance part" who's effect is purely psychological. That just screams ricer. In essence you can get the same effect by shorting your throttle lever w/o spending money.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #31
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
This thing looks like a scam. If you read their claims carefully, it appears all of the below can be accomplished by flooring the car instead of pushing the throttle half way down (which the "sprint booster" will tell the ECU is all the way down).

From their site:
Its not a scam.

On the E60 forum, there has to be 20+ members with great reviews for this product. I haven't read one bad post about it. There is almost a 300 post thread going about the Sprint Booster.

A lot of people saying, "This is how a BMW should come from factory." "There is zero lag when taking off. You step on the accelerator and the car just takes off. The throttle response is just insane and it shifts very smoothly!"
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:17 AM   #32
Rep

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
Its not a scam.
Its not a scam at all. Its function should be pretty clear at this point. It effectively shortens the distance you have to move your foot before you reach WOT. Thats all it does! It doesn't magically re-map your timing or decrease delay times between shifts etc. etc. Now ask yourself, Is that worth $285? If you answered yes, you aught to be ashamed of yourself! There are people out there that can live off that money. I can guarantee giving that money to someone who can feed their children w/ it will be much more gratifying and fulfilling in the long run...

/abridged rant
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 04:05 AM   #33
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

The price could be money towards another mod that could be far more rewarding in the long run.

Cool idea though I'm not sure BMW would like the idea of this being plugged into the car's wiring ect...:iono:
      01-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #34
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

I have had it on all my cars. The cars feels totally different with it installed. As i stated earlier try it out and get back to me. This is how the car should have come from the factory. if you have not driven a car with the Sprint Booster installed i don't see how you can qualify to give an unbiased opinion on the product. On the other hand, everyone who has it loves it. Well worth the 285.00. What other mod costs that much and totally changes your driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #35
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Its not a scam.

On the E60 forum, there has to be 20+ members with great reviews for this product. I haven't read one bad post about it. There is almost a 300 post thread going about the Sprint Booster.

A lot of people saying, "This is how a BMW should come from factory." "There is zero lag when taking off. You step on the accelerator and the car just takes off. The throttle response is just insane and it shifts very smoothly!"
+1 the car freaking flies off the line.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #36
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
I have it on my Mercedes. It works trust me.... It's not the same as flooring your car because even if you floor your car the throttle response is way slower than without the sprint booster. Do a search and you will see how many M3's and AMG's are running around with this.

Mercedes do not have adaptive throttles. This product is not needed for BMW's. It would actually hinder the ability for your car to adapt (learn) to how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #37
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I don't doubt it feels faster, just show me numbers that say that it is faster.

I bet the only numbers related to the car's performance that actually change are decrease in gas mileage with it installed.
      01-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #38
YYZATC
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think we all know this is not going to make your car faster but that is not all we try to achieve with a performance car. Driving "feel" plays a big part.

I am not going to knock a product without ever trying it but I will also say this product is not for me. A lot of cars do not have a linear throttle response so I think this product would be great on those vehicles. I believe BMW has always had a great throttle response so I dont think there is any need to change it.

But to each there own.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #39
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Mercedes do not have adaptive throttles. This product is not needed for BMW's. It would actually hinder the ability for your car to adapt (learn) to how you drive.
You flat out don't know what your talking about. BMWs are known for their throttle lag. BMW's have adaptive transmission's, not adaptive throttle response. The delay is in almost every BMW made.

Read the reviews on the E60fourm. There are many many members who have it and highly recommend it. Most these guys have many expensive mods and say its one of their favorites.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...sprint+booster

And for the people claiming it doesn't increase power, well your right. Its not made to create more power. It increases throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #40
Rep

Quote:
It increases throttle response.

It does not increase throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #41
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You flat out don't know what your talking about. BMWs are known for their throttle lag. BMW's have adaptive transmission's, not adaptive throttle response. The delay is in almost every BMW made.

Read the reviews on the E60fourm. There are many many members who have it and highly recommend it. Most these guys have many expensive mods and say its one of their favorites.

And for the people claiming it doesn't increase power, well your right. Its not made to create more power. It increases throttle response.

I gave up on these guys. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about and have never even tried the Sprint Booster. As you mentioned above I have many expensive mods on my Benzes like 1200.00 Eisenmans and the SPrint Booster is by far my favorite mod and will be one of the first mods on my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #42
Rep

Quote:
I gave up on these guys.
What was your agenda when you started this thread? To get people to side w/ you? Get people to appreciate your mod? Justify the money you spent on a throttle shortener? I am curious... Please forgive me if i am coming off as abrasive or biased, i just strive for clarity and truth. I respect honesty much more than sugar coated shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #43
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:

LOL... Your 100% wrong!

BMW has had fly-by-wire throttles for YEARS. Their adaptive to your driving style. If you want a more sensitive throttle, then every time you start from a stop, jusy mash the pedal.. or when cruising and you want to accelerate, you mash the pedal.

After about a week you car will learn that you want a more SENSITIVE throttle and it will respond quicker. If you don't want to wait, you can have the dealer hook it up to the diagnostic and just choose a flag in the software. The adaptive throttle is not a secret, the owner manual mention it. Yet, somehow I don't know what I'm talking about..?

Thridly, if you have an auto, you can put your car in performance mode, which give you greater thottle response. It will also shift faster and under load, etc...!

This "booster" is a hoax... it does exactly what it promises to. It presses the pedal "harder" for you so you don't have to! Your so vehement about this product and clueless about BMW's, I'm going to have to go out on a limb and call you a shill for this booster company! Is that your listings on eBay..?

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #44
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I gave up on these guys. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about and have never even tried the Sprint Booster. As you mentioned above I have many expensive mods on my Benzes like 1200.00 Eisenmans and the SPrint Booster is by far my favorite mod and will be one of the first mods on my 135i.
Agree eunosracr, sadly I see this site turning into the immature E90 site.

Garret,

I have a 545i and have been to many E60 meets organized by the E60 forum. I have driven both a 530i and 545i with the sprint booster. I am just relaying info from a first hand experience. It is like night and day. There is many members with this mod, even M5 owners. I don't give a sh*t if you or anyone else buys one, because I don't even have one, my E60 is bone stock. But I will defend a product that I know for sure lives up to the hype. I have driven BMW's since I was 16 and I am on my 6th bimmer, they all have had the throttle lag.

I just think its so funny when people talk down on a product, when they havn't even experienced it. Especially when there is many bimmer owners out there with cars that cost more than twice what a 1er cost, saying it was one of their best mods.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread