BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Questions about first time polish

I've read through the detailers guide in the sticky, and actually feel like I could do the polish... so I just have a couple questions. As well as anyone note problems with my plan of attack?

I was going to do nice wash with reputable wash, clay bar entire car (I am sure it needs it) polish/ seal and hopefully be done with it (shouldnt really need to wax at this point correct?)

I am going to get a 7424xp buffer as I heard they are mostly safe assuming you use the right products and wheels..

1) In polishing is it going to matter if I use less aggressive product... so as not to cut too deep etc? I mean if I go too conservative will I just have to work it longer? Or will it make things worse?

2) Should I wax after sealing? I dont really care about how much work I am going to need to put into this...

3) anyone care to provide any tips to a newbie getting started with it? I understand general problems most people have with a buffer... just always decided to avoid doing it myself because of these deterrents, but I am ready to learn to prep things properly, and get it done right.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
EINSER
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray E92

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Well, I'm certainly no expert, but, for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents worth...
1) Based on the condition of your car, you should be able to make a guess as to how intense you need to start (i.e. do you just have some minor swirling or imperfections or are there more severe scratches?) I generally start with the mildest polish I have available and only move up if I'm not getting results. Or if I'm using a stronger polish, I'll start with a less abrasive pad and move up to a more abrasive pad if I'm not happy. Since polishing, by definition is going to remove some clearcoat, it seems to pay to start conservatively.

2) It really depends on what products you're using. If you use a good sealant, waxing probably isn't necessary for protection but may add depth to the shine. I use Zaino so waxing isn't usually part of my routine although some folks do put a coat of wax on for depth.

3) I was scared to death the first time I used a buffer, but the PC orbital makes it very hard to cause any damage. Just remember that your first passes may leave a slightly cloudy look, but a pass or two with a finishing polish will clear it right up. Just don't be afraid to dive in and you will eventually find a routine that works for you.

Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

I am not scared to death... I am fairly confident, and am aware that things like this you generally want to start small/slow. (I'll be doing it the first time on my wifes car! =))

I dont have any major paint damage that I am aware of, and was planning on starting off with a less agressive polish.

As far as prep, would you say thats pretty close? Nice all purpose wash, claybar, polish, wax? Do I need to wash in between steps that involve polish?
Appreciate 0