BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
racelance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Small and fast

Question Adaptive headlight

I recently purchased a 1M and the only modification the previous owner did was LED headlights. Unfortunately it appears it’s throwing a code “Adaptive Headlights”. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with this? I believe I have the box with the original headlights in the trunk.

Thanks in advance,

Lance
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Put the adaptive headlights back on unless they burned out and he replaced with LED ones to save money. Many aftermarket headlights will throw codes especially because adaptive headlights follow the steering input. They turn when you turn the steering wheel. Personally, not a big fan of them. When i was driving on dark, narrow, windy european roads, they helped a little bit but overall just one more expensive thing to break. Most people drive 1Ms in daytime anyway. you might be able to code out the error by telling the ECU that you don't have adaptive headlights but that would take someone with some coding experience.

Welcome to the club.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
racelance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Small and fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Put the adaptive headlights back on unless they burned out and he replaced with LED ones to save money. Many aftermarket headlights will throw codes especially because adaptive headlights follow the steering input. They turn when you turn the steering wheel. Personally, not a big fan of them. When i was driving on dark, narrow, windy european roads, they helped a little bit but overall just one more expensive thing to break. Most people drive 1Ms in daytime anyway. you might be able to code out the error by telling the ECU that you don't have adaptive headlights but that would take someone with some coding experience.

Welcome to the club.
I just put the stock ones back in and it worked like a charm. They definitely were not burn out. All is good!

Thank you,

Lance
Appreciate 1
nachob2309.50
      10-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Sounds like the common installation error for the H8 angel eye LED swap, they usually have an extra resistor box that gets jammed against the back of the D1S Xenon bulb preventing full range of movement. Just need to make sure the box is tucked in under the H8 to prevent this.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0