BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2022, 08:19 AM   #1
OlivierV
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

1M to Porsche GT car?

Hello,

I own a beautiful 1M in valencia orange since 2020 (with 25 000 km).
Always been a fan of Porsche GT cars, especially the 997 GT3 and 981 GT4.
I use the car for weekend driving and 1-2 trackdays in a year. And Nordschleiffe.

Are there members who did this swap?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierV View Post
Hello,

I own a beautiful 1M in valencia orange since 2020 (with 25 000 km).
Always been a fan of Porsche GT cars, especially the 997 GT3 and 981 GT4.
I use the car for weekend driving and 1-2 trackdays in a year. And Nordschleiffe.

Are there members who did this swap?
I think about this more often than I should.

I had the opportunity to buy an MSRP 981 GT4 when they were first released. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger at the time. It would probably sit in the garage most days of the week.

More recently, a friend has offered to sell me his 997.1 GT3 -- I would probably need sell the 1M to fund it. The jury is still out on this.

In the end, you'd be trading daily driveability and 4 seat practicality. Also, with the 1M, you don't have to drive 9.5/10 on the road to enjoy what it offers. I wonder if I'd just be frustrated driving to work or running errands with a GT3/4. I spaz out over scratches and parking spaces with my $55,000 car -- what kind of a mental wreck would I be with a $100k+ car?

However, if you are just doing weekends and trackdays, I there would be a lot of enjoyment and capability with a GT car that would extend beyond what a 1M can offer.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      08-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #3
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I think about this more often than I should.

I had the opportunity to buy an MSRP 981 GT4 when they were first released. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger at the time. It would probably sit in the garage most days of the week.

More recently, a friend has offered to sell me his 997.1 GT3 -- I would probably need sell the 1M to fund it. The jury is still out on this.

In the end, you'd be trading daily driveability and 4 seat practicality. Also, with the 1M, you don't have to drive 9.5/10 on the road to enjoy what it offers. I wonder if I'd just be frustrated driving to work or running errands with a GT3/4. I spaz out over scratches and parking spaces with my $55,000 car -- what kind of a mental wreck would I be with a $100k+ car?

However, if you are just doing weekends and trackdays, I there would be a lot of enjoyment and capability with a GT car that would extend beyond what a 1M can offer.
I am just like you… and have the same discussion in my head (sometimes for months at a time…).

I want a Gt car badly as well, but to sit in the garage abs wait for 1 of 12 track days per year that I do… such a waste of time. I would rather daily a 1m or a 911 Carrera than park all the money.
Appreciate 1
ayao641.50
      09-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #4
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I own a 997.2 GT3 and 1M - Both are great cars - 1M is much more practical - the backseat/trunk are super roomy and useful for how small the car is.

997 GT feels more special when winding out the engine, but you lose out on the practicality. Both are small, manual only, old-school gauges, very basic, hydraulic steering, and totally awesome.

Both cars have ruined new cars for me since I just do not like EPS steering. If I get a new car it would need to be 5-seats and have lots of practicality to justify the less engaging feel.... M3, Blackwing, Corolla GR, manual Bronco something like that.
Appreciate 3
ayao641.50
      09-02-2022, 06:20 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I own a 997.2 GT3 and 1M - Both are great cars - 1M is much more practical - the backseat/trunk are super roomy and useful for how small the car is.

997 GT feels more special when winding out the engine, but you lose out on the practicality. Both are small, manual only, old-school gauges, very basic, hydraulic steering, and totally awesome.

Both cars have ruined new cars for me since I just do not like EPS steering. If I get a new car it would need to be 5-seats and have lots of practicality to justify the less engaging feel.... M3, Blackwing, Corolla GR, manual Bronco something like that.
I had a recent dream that I liquidated my fleet to fund a 991.2 GT3 Touring 6MT (found one for sale locally that is spec'd very close to what I had made on the Porsche configurator a few years ago) that was asking $50k over MSRP. I woke up in a cold sweat. However, don't they say that dreams are fueled by the subconscious?

I ended up far enough down the CT4-V Blackwing rabbit hole to have found a dealer who would sell at MSRP. However, the motor didn't really make sounds that excited me and I eventually wrote off this fool's errand as car guy acting out fantasies. And, I did not see this car being more engaging than the 1M (Even though reviewers make the CT5-V BW sound like the car to have, I don't really want to drive something that big.)

So, SEIS -- if you could only keep one of the GT3 vs 1M, which would you keep? (The GT3 8k rpm wail ... sheesh -- goosebumps.)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #6
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a recent dream that I liquidated my fleet to fund a 991.2 GT3 Touring 6MT (found one for sale locally that is spec'd very close to what I had made on the Porsche configurator a few years ago) that was asking $50k over MSRP. I woke up in a cold sweat. However, don't they say that dreams are fueled by the subconscious?

I ended up far enough down the CT4-V Blackwing rabbit hole to have found a dealer who would sell at MSRP. However, the motor didn't really make sounds that excited me and I eventually wrote off this fool's errand as car guy acting out fantasies. And, I did not see this car being more engaging than the 1M (Even though reviewers make the CT5-V BW sound like the car to have, I don't really want to drive something that big.)

So, SEIS -- if you could only keep one of the GT3 vs 1M, which would you keep? (The GT3 8k rpm wail ... sheesh -- goosebumps.)
Tough question. It would depend on what else is in the garage.

GT3 is more special, but it is twice the price and I just seem to drive my 1M more. Probably due to less value, less noisy, higher ground clearance, backseat, more miles, etc…

I do have three kids so I am biased a bit towards practicality. I think most people would answers this GT3, but you definitely need to drive one to know, 997 GT3 inputs are very heavy.

Driving around town 1M — Roads where you can let loose GT3.
Appreciate 1
ayao641.50
      09-07-2022, 12:50 AM   #7
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

ayao

Drove my GT3 today, thought about your question. 997 GT cars are amazing, if you can live without a backseat and trunk and want to try something different…997 GT3 fits the bill.
Appreciate 2
ayao641.50
      09-07-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

I daily drive my 1M and drop my kid off to school and then park on the city streets that are about as rough as the surface of the moon.

skip on any GT3 or GT4. more than happy with my 1M—-it checks SO many boxes for me it's incredible. And still it's so very special.
      09-07-2022, 10:02 PM   #9
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I daily drive my 1M and drop my kid off to school and then park on the city streets that are about as rough as the surface of the moon.

skip on any GT3 or GT4. more than happy with my 1M—-it checks SO many boxes for me it's incredible. And still it's so very special.
997 is as engaging as a machine can be, but I agree with your point. I think they are both amazing and hope to keep them forever.

One thing I have learned the past several years is I really appreciate hydraulic steering & simple gauges.
Appreciate 1
10"4973.00
      09-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #10
Rocmit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

The two cars are for different purposes. I just sold my 991.2 GT3. I decided to keep 1M because it is more practical. If I don't have to consider anything else but purely the best car to drive, I would have kept my GT3. They are in completely different leagues.
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
ayao641.50
      09-22-2022, 10:32 PM   #11
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

On the list for a 992 GT3 - its a long list...... Regardless - I'm keeping the 1M. Its a great car I wish I had bought 2 of them!
Appreciate 2
10"4973.00
      09-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #12
jasond63
Rep
Drives: E30,F80,1M,46M3,2gen997,36M3

Quote:

Hello gentlemen, I am new around this forum and stumbled upon your thread. If your having to choose which one to buy my money is going towards the GT3. At least that car is worth the money and isnt being cloned for half the costs.

I have a 997.2 and 1M. The way I see it is that both of these cars are cars ive always wanted since I first laid eyes on them. They are cars that if I sold one I would simply be waiting to someday own one again. Sellers remorse to the fullest and that will rent more space in my head then the thought of selling one could ever. But if I had to sell one I would sell the 1m simply because its overvalued for what it is. Besides you can build a perfect replica for half the costs. I dont know about you but I like driving my cars and not having to worry about putting on the miles. Oh and I to have three young ones 2 5 and 8. Thats what the highlander is for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ayao641.50
      09-28-2022, 11:33 AM   #13
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond63 View Post
Quote:

Hello gentlemen, I am new around this forum and stumbled upon your thread. If your having to choose which one to buy my money is going towards the GT3. At least that car is worth the money and isnt being cloned for half the costs.

I have a 997.2 and 1M. The way I see it is that both of these cars are cars ive always wanted since I first laid eyes on them. They are cars that if I sold one I would simply be waiting to someday own one again. Sellers remorse to the fullest and that will rent more space in my head then the thought of selling one could ever. But if I had to sell one I would sell the 1m simply because its overvalued for what it is. Besides you can build a perfect replica for half the costs. I dont know about you but I like driving my cars and not having to worry about putting on the miles. Oh and I to have three young ones 2 5 and 8. Thats what the highlander is for.
you can still drive the 1M without worrying about the mileage—-plenty of us do.

Bone stock here, 102,000+ miles on it
and have raised a 7yo kid from birth in it
as our only family car & daily driver.

and no a replica 1M is still not the original
just like those 911s with GT3 bodykits
ayao641.50
      09-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #14
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:

I agree, I have yet to see a clone that wasn't missing something. The fact that Porsche GT car owners praise/own the 1M speaks for itself; and since the N54 is widely available means it should be driven and rebuilt on the regular
Appreciate 3
10"4973.00
ayao641.50
      10-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
jasond63
Rep
Drives: E30,F80,1M,46M3,2gen997,36M3

Quote:

1M's fake or real, 911's with GT3 body kits or no wing at all are all plenty fast for me. Your 7 year old is one lucky kid. My parents dropped me off at school in...well lets just say that I would have preferred being dropped of around the corner somewhere.
Appreciate 1
10"4973.00
      10-17-2022, 07:20 PM   #16
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I recently stumbled on some reviews of the GT4RS.
When it was released, I didn't really pay any attention to the car other than my impression of its somewhat garish looks.

Then for some reason I came across a Savagegeese review of it.

Even though philosophically I am 100% a manual transmission individual, the GT4RS is the first car without an MT that I'd very strongly consider buying. And this is heresy on this forum but I think I'd sell the 1M for it without thinking twice. (I don't think I'd do the same for a DCT GT3.)

Anyway. Car guy musings and first world problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 09:19 PM   #17
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond63 View Post
Quote:

1M's fake or real, 911's with GT3 body kits or no wing at all are all plenty fast for me. Your 7 year old is one lucky kid. My parents dropped me off at school in...well lets just say that I would have preferred being dropped of around the corner somewhere.
Lol same. I was dropped off in a disgusting 1977 Buick Le Sabre that was LIME GREEN. (Not in a cool way Lool)
      10-19-2022, 11:51 PM   #18
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I recently stumbled on some reviews of the GT4RS.
When it was released, I didn't really pay any attention to the car other than my impression of its somewhat garish looks.

Then for some reason I came across a Savagegeese review of it.

Even though philosophically I am 100% a manual transmission individual, the GT4RS is the first car without an MT that I'd very strongly consider buying. And this is heresy on this forum but I think I'd sell the 1M for it without thinking twice. (I don't think I'd do the same for a DCT GT3.)

Anyway. Car guy musings and first world problems.
If you are a "manual guy" you would regret getting a non-manual over time.

I know guys that bought the GT3 PDK, but always had a manual transmission, over time they all sell and go back to a manual.

Just my $.2

FWIW I went and saw the GT4rs at the LA Auto Show last year and thought if this had a manual I would be all over it...I loved the car, but w/o a manual I have zero interest.... especially w/o a Porsche GT manual transmission...which are amazing.
Appreciate 2
ayao641.50
PRTSB1M294.00