BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #45
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
It is funny that everyone from the US are talking about hard to justify 40-50k. It would be close to 130k when it hits our shores.
Because 95% of the US can't afford to spend 40-50K US on a car, let alone toy car. =)

I've tried to ask my dealer to be "On the list", but they insist "The car is really far out, we can't take requests yet".
I would like ED on this as well. I could swing a few days in Germany that would be fabulous. And it would be sad if now ED was offered since it is on every other car (I believe).

Last edited by theblackangus; 10-31-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #46
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma135 View Post
ED isn't really a pain in the ass to organize....the pain in the ass is the anticipation of getting your car back
I dont mean to knock ED. I am personally excited to try ED. What I meant was that its a relative pain in the ass compared to just heading down to your local BMW and picking one off the lot. You have to admit, booking hotels, flights, transfers, then waiting 4-8 weeks for you car can be a pain in the ass. Then there are the rules of driving in certain parts of Europe - vignettes, vests?, hatred of new bimmers in Italy!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #47
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I have come across the number being 350 in the USA. I can't verify this for a fact, however.

If accurate, then each dealership might expect 1-2 1M Coupes. However, given differences in sales volume, some larger dealerships will probably get 3-5 vehicles whereas others only 1 vehicle.

I think this underscores the importance of getting on a waiting list ASAP.
My dealership is not taking deposits yet either, and he said 350 dealerships in US to confirm that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #48
enigma135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
I dont mean to knock ED. I am personally excited to try ED. What I meant was that its a relative pain in the ass compared to just heading down to your local BMW and picking one off the lot. You have to admit, booking hotels, flights, transfers, then waiting 4-8 weeks for you car can be a pain in the ass. Then there are the rules of driving in certain parts of Europe - vignettes, vests?, hatred of new bimmers in Italy!

Well I guess when you put it that way then yes...it all depends on where you go. I was only in Germany on my ED so some of that wasn't really an issue. Besides you have to book hotels/flights etc when taking a vacation anyway. But i see your point, and hope this didn't come off sounding rude.
      11-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #49
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I love Euro Delivery and hope I can do it with a 1M next year. Went across southern Germany and France before dropping off in Paris in 2008. I'm thinking I'll head north across Germany, to Belgium, then to Champagne region, then to Bordeaux and finally drop off in Nice.

Hopefully with PCD to follow.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #50
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I love Euro Delivery and hope I can do it with a 1M next year. Went across southern Germany and France before dropping off in Paris in 2008. I'm thinking I'll head north across Germany, to Belgium, then to Champagne region, then to Bordeaux and finally drop off in Nice.

Hopefully with PCD to follow.
OK, then!

1addicts - 1series M Coupe rally next summer. Im hoping to be in Slovakia for a conference next June, how sweet a combo trip this would be.......
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #51
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, then!

1addicts - 1series M Coupe rally next summer. Im hoping to be in Slovakia for a conference next June, how sweet a combo trip this would be.......
This would be great if a bunch of us could all arrange ED and meet up at BMW. =)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #52
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
This would be great if a bunch of us could all arrange ED and meet up at BMW. =)
Great idea. Ideally, I'd schedule it during Oktoberfest, but I'll take what I can get.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #53
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Placed my deposit today

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
I am totally, totally going to buy this car and my deposit has been in since early September.

Tell me, has anyone gone to place a deposit and been told that there were 2 or 3 deposits already ahead of them? I do believe that eventually that will be the case...
Number one in line, baby (at one of the 350 dealerships).....$1000 non-refundable, that will be used towards 10% down when I place the order with options....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #54
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great idea. Ideally, I'd schedule it during Oktoberfest, but I'll take what I can get.
Well if all the interiors are black with orange stitching Im all OUT.

That is just insane, might as well be pink stitching.

I'm seriously dismayed at this news if its correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #55
CoralRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, e36/7, e91 times 2

I myself will not be purchasing one... BUT, my dad already has his deposit in! We will then have a 128i, a 135i and an M1! haha. you could say we LOVE the 1 series!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #56
KKS
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: SO M4

Number 4 in line

I don't think ED is possible for Australians given the LHD/RHD issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #57
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKS View Post
Number 4 in line

Ring around other dealerships in other states - I know Coastline on the Sunny Coast only had me last week.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #58
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Ed Hmmmmm, any of the Aussies on here know if ED is possible for us?

That would be special indeed!
We can wish....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #59
KKS
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Ring around other dealerships in other states - I know Coastline on the Sunny Coast only had me last week.
Is that a large dealership? From my understanding, allocation is based on sales volume and the one here in Canberra sells a lot of cars. My SA tells me they'll likely get 2-4 cars depending on how many Australia gets. Fingers crossed there's more than less.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #60
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Quote:
I'm in for Octoberfest also. That was my plan already. then we can all take them to the Nurburgring!!! That would be sweet as a group. Like I said though, those are my plans as of now. (unless ED is out, or the car goes up in $).

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #61
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKS View Post
Number 4 in line

So what do the brits do when they pick up at the Welt? It happens.

Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #62
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fireman View Post
So what do the brits do when they pick up at the Welt? It happens.
Does it? Please tell me more.

I would so love to get mine on ED.

Its my 40th next year and that would be an incredible birthday present!

Cheers,

Mark.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #63
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Does it? Please tell me more.

I would so love to get mine on ED.

Its my 40th next year and that would be an incredible birthday present!

Cheers,

Mark.
I'm 99.9% positive I saw RHD cars taking delivery while I was there. I think it's a good possibility UK gets ED. AUS?? who knows

Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #64
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Charging a customer US MSRP for an ED car sounds highly unethical. It contradicts the whole purpose of the program. I havent done ED before, but Im doing my homework. It appears to be a pain in the ass to organize everything - THEN you have to wait 6-8 weeks to get your car back to the states. Dont get me wrong, Im dying to do it, but having the dealer pocket the difference? Sounds shady, dude. Keep us posted, Herr, on this ED info?

I'll do the same
The issue here is not one of ethics. It's about relationship. Dealerships operate on a fixed allocation based upon sales volume and customer service rating. The combination of a fixed allocation and low volume car discourages dealers from giving up an MSRP allocatoin for an ED one. Doing the deal at MSRP is a function of your loyalty and relationship with your dealer, not their integrity.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #65
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. Until about 2yrs ago, an M3 ordered for ED cost the same as an M3 for US delivery: there WAS NO ED discount. I expect that to be the case for the 1M - invoice and MSRP will be the same ED / US.

2. BMW dealers receive an "allocation" or number of cars or each type that they're authorized to receive/sell. So the cost of their inventory is fixed. For MOST BMW, the ED cars do NOT come out of that allocation: thus any car sold for ED is "extra" profit and can therefore be offered at closer to the ED invoice (~7% under US invoice / ~14% under US MSRP) while still offering SOME profit.

3. Is it a pain? Yup. You have to have another car that you're NOT trading in to drive. Unless you go TOTALLY frugal, you have to have a few thousand $$ and a passport. You have to wait a couple months (~6 weeks east coast / 8 weeks west coast) to get your car if you DON'T do Performance Center Delivery (PCD) - I HIGHLY recommend adding this cool, free option if you're east of the Mississippi.

4. I've only driven my new Bimmer in Germany - where it blends in to the point of invisibility - and France. No problems with the car or folks' reaction to it in either country.

5. If there's ANY WAY you can pull it off, do it. It's SO worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #66
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I'm too late. My dealer has 2 deposits.
Appreciate 0