BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2024, 09:52 AM   #1
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Looking for reviews on the Valeo Single Mass Flywheel conversion kit

I'm looking at this kit here from Valeo https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...t-valeo-835115

I don't see the words "lightweight". So, does this mean it's close to the weight of the dual-mass version? I'm feeling uneasy about using a used DMFW and this kit looks pretty great.

Any reviews around? I've read about chatter from the e46 guys, but I am hoping to hear from some e82/e88 (128i) folks.

thx,
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:45 PM   #2
4JawChuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i SE

I have that kit installed, it rattles at idle like they say but I don’t find it objectionable and ignore it. If you really prefer quiet then it’s likely not for you, it’s noticeable at a light.

Some chatter if I slip too much when it’s cold but warmed up it disappears.

For the money it’s a worthwhile mod but if they made a flywheel with stiffer springs I would have gone for that instead, the factory springs on mine were getting sacked out and no longer had preload. I considered shimming those flywheel springs and returning the kit but I wasn’t sure how the car would react and if it would work the way I intended.

If it was the wife’s car I would have left it stock as she liked the soft engagement and easy drive manners but for me I was happy for the snappier response and solid feel.

Btw I did the CDV valve removal prior to this upgrade and the two mods complement each other, more immediate response and no more missed shifts when your really on it.

Combine the shifter bushing upgrades and ai am finally happy with how this car shifts, redline oil in the trans is nice in the winter too.
Appreciate 2
Blau366.50
      01-16-2024, 05:50 PM   #3
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Have a look at : ACT Street light Single Mass Pro-light. No personal experience with it but saw a very impressive review. Looks to be very high quality forged chrome-moly steel, 16.5 pounds (stock is around 24 lbs. I believe ). Good dampening spring setup on the disc claims low chatter at idle. Worth a look. As mentioned above, CDV removal, definitely worth while.
Appreciate 2
Blau366.50
      01-16-2024, 05:56 PM   #4
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JawChuck View Post
I have that kit installed, it rattles at idle like they say but I don’t find it objectionable and ignore it. If you really prefer quiet then it’s likely not for you, it’s noticeable at a light.

Some chatter if I slip too much when it’s cold but warmed up it disappears.

For the money it’s a worthwhile mod but if they made a flywheel with stiffer springs I would have gone for that instead, the factory springs on mine were getting sacked out and no longer had preload. I considered shimming those flywheel springs and returning the kit but I wasn’t sure how the car would react and if it would work the way I intended.

If it was the wife’s car I would have left it stock as she liked the soft engagement and easy drive manners but for me I was happy for the snappier response and solid feel.

Btw I did the CDV valve removal prior to this upgrade and the two mods complement each other, more immediate response and no more missed shifts when your really on it.

Combine the shifter bushing upgrades and ai am finally happy with how this car shifts, redline oil in the trans is nice in the winter too.
Any chance you can share a YouTube clip of the clutch chatter? The car isn't a daily so I think I'm okay with the noise as long as it doesn't rattle louder than my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:29 PM   #5
4JawChuck
Private First Class
Rep

If your referring to the "rattle" from the clutch, you already heard it in any manual transmission vehicle from the 70's the 80's and earlier, it's only the Magik of modern dual mass flywheel technology that it can be so quiet from the OEM.

At my age I could less if the clutch makes noise at a light, I just turn the music up or push the clutch in. I agonized about it because it changed the character of the car in a way I didn't expect...it sounded old school haha.

I've had light weight flywheels in my RX7 b and c models with 12a and 13b engines and while it sounds impressive free revving I've never found it improved my lap times on a track, besides the wife needs to drive it and I don't want to make it a PITA going to the grocery store...there is only one good thing about light wheels and that it makes heel and toe downshifting easier as the engine free revs easier and quicker...particularly on a rotary engine car where some of the down shifts are rev matching close to 8000 rpm.

Look up on YouTube for the video how they remanufacture these dual mass flywheels in Poland or somewhere like that, just a bunch of stacked plated riveted or welded together, it absorbs vibration by design and has a two long coil springs in a sheet metal groove along the perimeter that take the load and shock so it gives the load response a softer character...a flywheel effect in fact. Makes the car easier to drive for a novice but I can't picture going back to it now...would not like it.

Forget the stock setup if you like to heel and toe these things around, if your just going for golf on sunday...leave the stock flywheel and enjoy the BMW solitude that makes you look good fumbling from a stop with the CDV valve limiting your clutch engagement and the dual mass keeping you from stalling the engine.

Thats what those devices are in essence, sorry if I offended anyone buts that's what they do for the driver. Similar issue with those super soft shifter fork bushings that flex so easily that the shifter moves an entire inch when loaded...shouldn't be on this car if you ask me and BMW dropped the ball there when they listened to the soccer mom product testers with their delicate sensitivities.

I want my car to shift firmly and positively and will endure a slight noise/vibration towards that end but ultimately it's up to you and your priorities.
Appreciate 2
Blau366.50
      01-17-2024, 09:18 AM   #6
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Lol, go for a golf... Cars, snowboarding, and mountain biking take up all of my hobby money. Also, golf is just an expensive venue to drink because what else would I do as I roamed an aggressively manicured lawn?

Thanks again for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 10:26 AM   #7
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
4JawChuck

I got my SMFW in today and just noticed there are these three pins on the flywheel. Not sure if there alignment pins but one of them seems to have broken off. Do you think I should be able to jbwelf it back on or should I just leave it? I can't imagine a piece this large is useless because of such a small pin. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 08:20 AM   #8
4JawChuck
Private First Class
Rep

While it’s unlikely that only one dowel out of three missing will cause you any issues I would still replace it, take it to a machine shop for replacement where they have the knowledge to remove and can source you a new dowel pin as I doubt it’s a part listed by BMW in the manual.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 01:23 PM   #9
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
4JawChuck

sorry to bug you again... Was the pilot bearing already installed in your SMFW?

I can't see where else it would be. All the swap videos I've seen are for the 135i trans but I think the pilot bearing goes in different places on those.

Let me know whenever you get a chance. thx!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:24 AM   #10
CarbonSchwarz125i
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 1 Series 125i

Valeo is shit. I work in motor factors and we sometimes tell people we don't have something available if all we have on shelf is valeo
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:54 AM   #11
4JawChuck
Private First Class
Rep

Pilot bearing is in the crankshaft not the flywheel, you should replace it during the swap.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:28 PM   #12
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JawChuck View Post
Pilot bearing is in the crankshaft not the flywheel, you should replace it during the swap.
I feel pretty dumb here, but this is my first manual swap, so time to get educated.

My car is an auto, which doesn't have a pilot bearing... I'm new to manual swaps, so any schooling on this would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:41 AM   #13
4JawChuck
Private First Class
Rep

I would check to make sure your engines crankshaft is machined for a pilot bearing just to be sure you can get the factory bearing in, it’s a thing with domestic cars that autos have cranks that are not machined for the bearing but I’m not sure if BMW machines all their cranks for pilots.

It’s very likely they all are from the factory but worth checking out before you commit.

BTW I’ve had no issues with my Valeo flywheel kit except for a little chatter when cold, I would have went with a different friction plate pad material to solve that but it is what it is. It grabs hard and seems to be impervious to abuse as I drive it pretty hard all the time.
Appreciate 1
Blau366.50
      03-07-2024, 10:03 AM   #14
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
You're the man 4JawChuck