BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2022, 02:59 PM   #1
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

Mfactory Metal Plate V2 LSD MF-TRS-10E90

So when I originally bought this I knew I was going into uncharted waters but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. I couldn't find any sort of documentation on the unit and even the paperwork included references the V1. The way I was able to get any sort of help was from reaching out to the Mfactory account on here. So lets get into what I found after looking at it myself and hopefully make this a little easier for anyone else that wants to purchase this unit.

What's included
-8 25D ramps (8 installed on acceleration side)
-16 35D ramps (8 installed on deceleration side)
-8 45D ramps
-4 0D ramps (only need 4 to set diff as a one way)
-12 Springs (6 installed for 55lbs of preload)
-20 clutches (18 engaged for 90% lock)

What Configuration I'm Going to Run
-25D Ramps for acceleration side
-45D Ramps for deceleration side
-12 springs for 110 lbs of preload
-all 20 clutches engaged for 100% lock

This is also going into a manual 128i that's primarily for track use and occasional canyon drives. I'll add pictures of everything later on as I'm at work right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro98 View Post
So when I originally bought this I knew I was going into uncharted waters but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. I couldn't find any sort of documentation on the unit and even the paperwork included references the V1. The way I was able to get any sort of help was from reaching out to the Mfactory account on here. So lets get into what I found after looking at it myself and hopefully make this a little easier for anyone else that wants to purchase this unit.

What's included
-8 25D ramps (8 installed on acceleration side)
-16 35D ramps (8 installed on deceleration side)
-8 45D ramps
-4 0D ramps (only need 4 to set diff as a one way)
-12 Springs (6 installed for 55lbs of preload)
-20 clutches (18 engaged for 90% lock)

What Configuration I'm Going to Run
-25D Ramps for acceleration side
-45D Ramps for deceleration side
-12 springs for 110 lbs of preload
-all 20 clutches engaged for 100% lock

This is also going into a manual 128i that's primarily for track use and occasional canyon drives. I'll add pictures of everything later on as I'm at work right now.
I don't know what any of that stuff means, so you bought a kit from M Factory where you can basically customize your own diff?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep

I just bought the lsd itself, but the metal plate v2 is fully adjustable and includes all those extra parts. They're supposed to assemble it how you want it but they didn't contact me to ask what I wanted so I'm doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #4
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

As someone who is shopping for an LSD to put in my 128, I'm looking forward to your results with this MFactory unit. Are you doing all of it yourself or having a shop do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #5
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep

Kinda both. The shop that I took it to is going to teach me how to assemble and adjust the diff to my liking
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #6
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep

Install
I wish I could've made this post a couple of months ago, but the shop I took it to had other plans, but it's all done now. After getting the LSD adjusted to the setting I posted above it was just a matter of throwing it in the pumpkin. They said they didn't end up using the shim kit since when they threw it in, it ended with a backlash of 0.004 or whatever 4 thousandth is as a decimal.

Initial Impressions
When I was installing the diff, I also replaced the stock bushing with solid bushings from turner. Keep in mind this is my first and only experience with an lsd, but initial impressions were terrible. During the break-in process, it sounded and felt like I was destroying my diff doing circles at parking lot speeds. After driving around with it for a bit, you don't notice any noise above parking lot speed, but at those slow speeds be ready for a lot of noise and jerkiness from the diff locking up when you even look at the throttle.

Noise At Parking lot speeds:

First Proper Test Drive
When I bought this diff I didn't get it for crawling around parking lots so when I took it on a nice backroad I completely forgot all the downsides. It's one of those upgrades that you sort of forget that it's there but I would never go back. It was most noticeable coming out of tight hairpins where the car just wanted to grip instead of just roasting the inside wheel. And the additional stability under braking is great. The car just felt more predictable is the best way I could describe it.

Conclusion
Since this is my only experience with any form of LSD, I'm not sure how beneficial my feedback is, but all I can say it does what I wanted it to do. Lock the rear wheels together under any condition. This comes at a cost of terrible noise and clunking at slow speeds, so I would probably stay away from this for daily driving. I wish I could answer if it's worth the premium over the v1 but I don't have any experience with one, but if you find yourself near colorado springs and do have experience with one or any other clutch type lsd, I'd be happy to let you see how it feels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #7
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

I've driven some cars with aftermarket clutch/plate type LSDs before (OSGiken 2-way most notably) and it was pretty loud but didn't sound quite the same as yours.. Also looking at your specs, I think you may have gone a little overkill with the pre-load and 100% lock rate. It's probably not far off from having a welded diff at this point. It probably feels good coming out of corners but I think too much LSD lock can actually cause the car to push/understeer mid corner since both tires are locked together too hard to rotate the car.

I know it's a pain in the ass but you might benefit from re-setting up the diff with less aggressive lockup unless you are trying to make it a drift car.
For example it seems like most people that track BMWs end up with somewhere between 40-70% lockup. Not a lot of people mention the preload but I saw a couple mentions of 80lbs and 100lbs.

Also not sure what diff fluid you are running but something with extra friction modifier might help quiet it down a bit. That's what BMW did to address complaints with the E9X M3 LSD making a lot of noise at slow speeds.

Last edited by wootloops; 05-10-2022 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      05-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #8
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Yeah, for the E82 chassis, I've read (and am running) a low pre-load set up. I'd go for 55lb or less on the springs.

As everything breaks in some of the noise should go away. Just make sure to change the fluid out after 500mi or something.

Thanks for taking a picture of the "ramp chip" design. I asked MFactory directly what that meant and they couldn't be bothered to send a picture or explain what it was. Seems like a neat idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep

I had no how to set it up so I asked mfactory and this is what they recommended to me. I haven't had it on track yet, but just pushing a bit on some back roads it feels pretty good to me, but I also put some new stickier and wider tires along with added some more camber upfront so that could be masking any perceivable mid-corner push. Also for the fluid, I'm using Torco Manual Transmission Fluid, as this is the only recommendation I got from mfactory. Also for the break-in, it was recommended to just do tight circles in both directions and tight figure 8s for 10 min each and to change the fluid right after, and that was it for the break-in.

I also had the same issues getting any information from mfactory, or really anyone since I haven't seen a single bit of documentation on the v2.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 01:42 PM   #10
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

These are specialized products that require specialized skills to setup.

I wouldn't expect much documentation for it, you need a diff builder to set it up as you aren't getting much help from the manufacture.

Just installed mine for a Spec E9X build
dmytro98 any updates on your experience?

I went with a "less aggressive" setup iirc it is: 1.5way, 60% lockup, 60ft-lbs of preload.

I was also warned of all the noises, "it will sound broken" as you break it in. It's a metal plate diff, it will always be noisey.

Anyways I just backed it out of the garage after installing it last night. I plan to break it in this weekend doing the figure 8s. Then I will change the 10w30 conventional oil I was told to use during break in.

I already heard a bunch of funny noises driving it down the street and turning around.

Will update in a few months after I break it in and get it out on the track.
Appreciate 0