BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII Coral Red

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Talking My test drive of the One (comparo with 335i)

So today I went in and test drove a Black Sapphire 135i coupe with a stick, the M-Sport pkg and the premium pkg. I'm currently driving an 08 335i sedan (auto with sport pkg), and here are my thoughts:

- Note all comments are in relation to Canadian spec cars.

- I've been set on a black car, and I hated the M-Sport pkg for forcing the shadowline trim on me. Black looks vastly better with the chrome trim. While the shadowline trim is shiner than the basic black plastic trim (on say a 325i), it still doesn't accent a black car as well as the chrome trim. If I go for a shadowline delete it'll be a $400 admin fee though, so I might just stick with the shadowline.

- the 135i is definitely tuned louder at idle than the 335i. Goes with the "less refined" marketing position, I suppose. However, at speed and high revs (up to ~4,500 rpm on the 135i at least) they don't sound much different. Nonetheless, the twin turbo definitely outputs a sweet sound. :biggrin:

- the M steering wheel and the M shift knob ROCKS! It feels so much better than the 335i sport steering wheel. The leather feels great and it's thicker. That's why I'm getting the M Sport pkg.

- A black matte finish seems to be applied to the exhaust pipes if you go for the M-Sport pkg. Looks good on a black car.

- The manual in the 135i is good - shifts are smooth, the clutch is lighter than an E46 clutch, and the clutch take up is actually less jarring than an 06 M Roadster.

- In the 335i, when the cruise control is set there's a cool indicator around the speedometer that indicates the preset speed. This is not present in the 135i. Also unlike the 335i, when the cruise control is set on the 135i there's no computer display telling you the cruise control speed and the fact that the cruise is set. Caveat: I don't think the demo 135i has adaptive cruise control as there's no distance display bars when I was playing with the cruise control, but I didn't check the front bumper to make sure there's no radar/laser dome.

- There's no grab handle over the rear seats. Those of us with the need to hang a suit jacket will have to devise alternatives. (I'm a lawyer so I drive often in a suit.) On the other hand, there are two hooks, one on each side next to the rear window glass. I may be able to rig up a "clothesline" type of contraption across the back seats to hang my suit. It'll be ugly but it should work :biggrin:

- I didn't redline the demo as it's only got 195 km on it, but the car feels as fast as the 335i. Handling wise it doesn't feel much different from my 335i though. I didn't do a slalom in it the way I did my 335i, but if you're looking for handling that is noticeably sharper from the E90 right off the bat, you won't find it on the 135i. Conversely, when I drive an 06 M Roadster, the sharper handling over the 335i is apparent almost immediately. Again, there are a few caveats: the demo car was on summer performance tires and it was 0.5 degress C during the test drive. Also note that my 335i is past its break-in period while the demo car's fresh off the boat with only 195km (and BMWs magically "tighten up" and feel noticeably better after ~4000 km). As well, when I gave up my E46 ZSP for the E90 335i the loss in handling sharpness was apparent only after ~40 km of driving - a distance that a normal test drive won't cover. My test drive also had a 150 lb+ sales adviser in the passenger seat, while I normally drive solo.

- The dash computer display font's quite a bit different than the 335i. It seems like the 335i's font is bold and round, while the 135i's font is regular (not bold) and a bit narrower. It's marginally harder to read. The 135i's display seems to be a bit smaller as well. I didn't have time to scroll through the menu to see if any functions are missing.

- I like the manual seats better - in a coupe it's faster to flip forward the manual seats than wait for the power seat to move forward. Regardless of manual or power seats, you flip the seat back manually anyways.

- No seat belt presenter. You actually have to reach pretty far back to reach the belt. Just something to get used to, I guess. I know people have reliability concerns about the E92's seat belt presenter.

- At 120+ km/h, there's a bit more wind noise than the 335i. At 140+ km/h, there's noticeably more wind noise than the 335i. I blame the frameless windows.

- Unlike the 3 coupe, the rear windows don't scroll down or open out (there's only 2 power windows buttons on the driver's door)

- Size-wise the inside feels like an E46, with its driver oriented center dash. It's noticeably cozier than an E90. The 135i even has a flip up centre "console" like the E46!

- no rear air vents on the 135i, unlike the 3 series coupe

- The center console has weird cutouts (looks like for a phone and something else), which hinders its already small capacity. Might even hold less stuff than the E46 centre console.

- Glovebox on the 135i is smaller than the 335i, and the flashlight was either missing on the 135i demo car or it's not in the usual spot in the left hand corner.

- the cupholders on the center console of the 135i is smaller than average. The 3rd cupholder that snaps into the slot next to the shifter comes with the car and is standard size, but if there's a person sitting in the passenger seat, their leg will hit the cupholder. Thus, this 3rd cup holder's not usable if there's anyone in the passenger seat.

- the trunk is pretty sizable, considering the size of the car. The battery's under the trunk. And even if I don't order the ski bag, through load is standard.

- the 135i sunroof may be a bit shorter than the 335i sunroof. I'm just going by eye though. Someone will need to measure it to be sure.

Overall, the 135i is a great car for the enthusiast who doesn't need to use the back seat that often, but can't totally forsake practicality and buy an M Roadster. The interior appointments, while mostly on par with the E90, feels lacking in some respects (lack of cruise indicator, smaller dash computer display, tiny centre console cupholders, no rear air ducts, ski bag not standard, no fog lights on 135i for lack of space, rear windows don't open at all). As a coupe, I'll also need to jerry rig a clothesline over the back seats for my suit as well.

Like many of you, I've read all the magazine reviews and saw Top Gear and how the 1 series got rave reviews across the globe. As a result I had great expectations going into the test drive - unfortunately, my experience indicates that any increase in handling over the 335i is subtle. I'm not saying it isn't there, but the difference between a 335i and a 135i is NOT immediately noticeable the way an 06 M Roadster is over a 335i, or even the way a E46 ZSP is over the 335i. The 135i may be a small step in the direction of the 2002, but despite what BMW marketing will have you believe, it's NOT a modern 2002. For that matter, it's NOT even a modern E46 ZSP.

Nonetheless, unless I can get a good deal on a used M car, I'll be looking to get a 135i myself (probably a 2009 model though, as I need to wait for the initial hubba to die down and BMW Canada to lower its lease rates - it's 7.75% right now, compared to 3.9% for the 3 series). The 135i represents the best bang for the buck as far as brand new BMWs are concerned. The only brand new cars that can convincingly out-handle the 135i are M cars, and brand new M cars are a lot more expensive than the 135i ($64,900 for the M Roadster or $63,900 for the M Coupe, versus $41,700 for the 135i). But there are cars that handle convincingly better once you start looking into BMW's past.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Just a thought: The insurance on the 135i's going to go through the roof soon - it's a very cheap 300hp/300 lb-ft small car that's accessible to many males under 25. As they crash and burn in the coming months, 135i claims will increase and 135i insurance rates will surpass the current 335i rates.

May be a good reason to buy now :smile:
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
JLBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenfire View Post
- There's no grab handle over the rear seats. Those of us with the need to hang a suit jacket will have to devise alternatives. (I'm a lawyer so I drive often in a suit.) On the other hand, there are two hooks, one on each side next to the rear window glass. I may be able to rig up a "clothesline" type of contraption across the back seats to hang my suit. It'll be ugly but it should work :biggrin:
Check out the headrest hanger....http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=178
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
Yeah, I asked the SA about that... It's CAD$47.80, and only hangs 1 suit. When I'm bringing dry cleaning back I need to hang multiple dress shirts up (and right now they go on the grab handle over the rear seats behind the driver's seat).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
spcheng
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i COMING SOON!

hmmm, has me thinking of going with a 335i again over the 1
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
JaMa
Boost Freak
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW R32

Very informative

I have to say this was a *very* informative thread. There are a few things in here that I did not actually notice which might actually drive me back to another 335i (my last one was lemoned for 3 failed fuel pumps) - the suit hangar thing especially, I dont know if I can live without that.

Plus, I would have to agree with the statements about the handling. My 335 handled WELL - exceptionally well even.

Thanks for this review.

J
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

tiny centre console cupholders
yup

lack of cruise indicator, smaller dash computer display, no lights on roof over back seats,
We have those on American cars.

no fog lights on 135i for lack of space
no brake cooling ducts on 335i

no rear air ducts, ski bag not standard,
Too small for extra air ducts. Wouldn't drive my summer car to the mountains to ski.

rear windows don't open at all
Neither does the 335i coupe as you said.
      03-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
tiny centre console cupholders
yup

lack of cruise indicator, smaller dash computer display, no lights on roof over back seats,
We have those on American cars.

no rear air ducts, ski bag not standard,
Too small for extra air ducts. Wouldn't drive my summer car to the mountains to ski.

rear windows don't open at all
Neither does the 335i coupe as you said.

LOL:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #9
cantona7
Private
Rep
Drives:

I drove both the 135i and 335i in back-to-back test drives on Saturday. I think I can concur with most of what the OP has said. Both the cars I drove were automatics--the dealer here in SF did not have a manual in either car for me to try out.

The one thing I would differ with the OP about is that the 135i felt like a better handling car to me. My technical term for it would be "more tossable." ;-D Mind you it's not a HUGE difference, and I was very surprised at how little the 335i coupe gave up to the 135i--I drove the 1er first. However, my impression coming out of the test drives is that the 335i feels more like a very sporty GT, while the 135i possesses more of a club racer type character. Basically, for someone like me who drives a Z4 3.0Si, the 135i really feels at home.

Honestly, I'm torn. I like the way the 335i looks. I prefer the way the 135i drives. And I especially love the way the 135i stops! Those brakes are awesome and they really belong in both the 335i and M3. Maybe the Dinan software flash is what I need to go along with a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Drove them both, can afford them both, ordered 135i. Was faster, handled better, stopped better and was MUCH more flickable around the road. It is a drivers car, if you need something to transport your suits to work then get a 3 or 5 series. If you wan't to fly by the sear of your pants in a faster better handing and braking drivers car...get the 1.

For me the 300hp TT engine in this car just can not be missed. I have wanted a vert since my last open top Porsche 914 twenty years ago, and finally I can have performance, open top and decent price all in one mean little package for a cool 10k less then the hardtop 335i vert. Oh, and my golf clubs actually fit in the 1 Vert lol.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

moltenfire, Thanks for the VERY informative review!

I noticed one thing in your review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenfire View Post
My test drive also had a 150 lb+ sales adviser in the passenger seat, while I normally drive solo.

So essentially, your SA negated any benefit you would have gotten from the 1's near 200 lbs weight advantage, which may be why it didn't feel like a vast improvement in the handling over your 3 with you driving solo. Would you agree?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
My E92 335i has both foglights AND brake cooling ducts (Sport Pack).

But I also disagree about the feel/handling thing: I own a 335 SP well broken in and felt the 135i is both faster in a straightline as well as having a much more livelier feel.

If you equate handling with skidpad or slalom numbers, then the 135i will not appear significantly better than the 335 - although it IS better as instrumented tests have proven. But I don't - so I found the 135i brakes have better feel, the turn-in is better, there is less body roll and the car generally is easier to rotate (the effect of the shorter wheelbase, no doubt).

So to me, the 135i felt significantly better. It also makes IMO a better platform for modification - starts out better AND cheaper.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
JaMa
Boost Freak
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW R32

I just changed my order to another 335i partially based on the fact that I totally agree with this thread but mostly because I could not find the color combination I liked.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I was trying to write my feeling immediately after I drove the 135i.

BTW, I was remiss when I said there's no roof lights over the rear seats:
http://www.auto-focus.us/autoblog/v/..._2891.jpg.html
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
moltenfire, Thanks for the VERY informative review!

I noticed one thing in your review:

So essentially, your SA negated any benefit you would have gotten from the 1's near 200 lbs weight advantage, which may be why it didn't feel like a vast improvement in the handling over your 3 with you driving solo. Would you agree?
It's actually more like 100 lbs weight advantage.

I'm also torn betwen the 335 vs. the 135, particularly once I found out the weight difference was only about 100 lbs. It also seems to trap the 1/4 mile at a slightly lower speed. Maybe the single exhaust? Then there's the money factor on a lease, which may be the deal breaker given how bad it is now.
I'm hoping it'll improve with time, but if BMW is only going to import 10,000 cars a year, there will probably always be a little supply crunch.
Then, just to rub a little more salt in the wound, BMWCCA is not offering any rebates on this car.
Appreciate 0