BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

First Road Trip?

Ok, we've had a thread about where you will take our 1 first for a fun drive, now let's talk about everyone's first big road trip.

My first will be to the Canadian GP in June, and then, hopefully a trip from NYC to Memphis, perhaps catch the NASCAR race at Bristol.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
imported_Maurice
Not too sexy for his car.
Rep
Drives:

My first trip will be for a work-related meeting, but the drive there will be very nice. I will be going to Leavenworth, WA. It's up in the Cascades, and has some nice roads leading to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

i am very jealous!! I would love to see the Canadian GP.....maybe next year!

My first road trip is a family affair. Off to see my Gran in Yorkshire this coming weekend. Only 400 miles or so, but some of the road across the moors (big hills) are a drivers dream - can't wait.

Oh and I am going to Le Mans this summer so that will be the first really big purpose built for the 1er road trip.....
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazioNYC View Post
My first will be to the Canadian GP in June...
See you there!!! We're sitting at the hairpin...

When I get my 1er (some day...), my first fun run will probably be to check out the twisties in Calebogie, just outside Ottawa. But if the timing is right, I'd really like it to be in time for the 2009 Canadian GP...
      03-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Home to MA from PCD!
      03-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
See you there!!! We're sitting at the hairpin...

When I get my 1er (some day...), my first fun run will probably be to check out the twisties in Calebogie, just outside Ottawa. But if the timing is right, I'd really like it to be in time for the 2009 Canadian GP...
Which grandstand? I'm in 24.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumaknight View Post
i am very jealous!! I would love to see the Canadian GP.....maybe next year!

My first road trip is a family affair. Off to see my Gran in Yorkshire this coming weekend. Only 400 miles or so, but some of the road across the moors (big hills) are a drivers dream - can't wait.

Oh and I am going to Le Mans this summer so that will be the first really big purpose built for the 1er road trip.....
The Canadian GP is great -- I've been going every year since '93. Seen a lot of Schumacger wins (ugh). But LeMans, well, that is the ultimate! Great year, too, with the Peugeot and the Audi. I went to the Petit LeMans last year, which is HIGHLY recommended for everyone. The track is spectacular -- TV doesn't do the elevation changes justice.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
My first trip will be for a work-related meeting, but the drive there will be very nice. I will be going to Leavenworth, WA. It's up in the Cascades, and has some nice roads leading to it.
Sweet!! I LOVE Leavenworth! It's like being transported to Bavaria! If you get the chance, check out Icicle Road just outside of town. I took it all the way to the end in a rental car once, not sure you would want to do it in the 1'er though, it turns into a horse trail towards the very end (hey, it was a rental!?). Great road before that though!

My first trip will be the drive back to Houston from the Performance Center. This is part of it... http://www.cherohala.com/ ...never driven it before but it looks really cool!!

Dan in Houston / CCA # 93849
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazioNYC View Post
Which grandstand? I'm in 24.
Me too. I think we're on the side of the grandstand that is closer to the pits. And we're usually fairly high up, by choice. Should be a good race. BMW has good straightline speed, so this circuit may favor them. They were on pace with McLaren in Malaysia, so we'll see how they develop the first car. I'd love to see BMW win their first race in Montreal, but I won't complain if it comes sooner.

I'm a big Alonso fan (since Villeneuve left) and McLaren has traditionally been my favorite team (since Senna and then Hakkinnen). Since Fernando is in a fairly uncompetetive car, I'd really like to see either Kovy, Kubica or Heidfeld do well. I've never been a Ferrari fan (but I would cheer for Alonso in a Ferrari...), nor have I caught the Hamilton bug. Should be an interesting season, as cars are dropping like flies without the traction control...
      03-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm trying seats close to the track this year -- row 5. I'm also a Fernando fan. I was a huge Jean Alesi fan back in the day.
Appreciate 0