BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
PB07NOVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Rants

Lots of things about the 135i I like, but.......

Steering wheel sits too low and obscures gauges. With manual seat adjusted to bottom and steering column tilted to top, the steering wheel still obscures part of the speedo/tach gauges, as least with telescope set all the way in. At 5'11", this shouldn't happen. There's no apparent gap between the top of the column and the dash, so I'm wondering whether anything can be done about this drawback.

Premium Hi-Fi fidelity is marginal. I suppose it's okay if you like lots of bass, but vocals/treble lack crispness and clarity. Overall sound is a bit muddy.

Manual sport seats lack firmness in the lumbar section, and have no adjustment for such. Seats in general are much softer than I anticipated and way softer than the M Sport Seats from the Z4 Coupe.

Steering feel is adequately-weighted, but feels artificially heavy. Doesn't present a true and lively, connected-to-the-road feel the way an E36 M3 did.

Manual shift knob is awkwardly shaped and is not an ergonomic fit...to my palm anyway. Looks great, but doesn't feel great.

Audio controls are a bit of a mess. It takes too many dash mounted buttons to drill down through menus in order to change between Tuner/Sat/CD and the various levels of audio adjustment.

E46-style HVAC fan speed push button adjustment is lame and inefficient. Give me a quicker and easier rheostat twist knob anyday.

No way to fold down rear seats from inside the cabin. Presumably designed as such for trunk security purposes, but this could be alleviated with a simple keylock, a la Honda.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Just a quick thought on your premium hi-fi part .... have you messed with the electronic EQ for the logic 7 at all? Maybe you can adjust to where you like ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR08NOVA View Post

Steering wheel sits too low and obscures gauges. With manual seat adjusted to bottom and steering column tilted to top, the steering wheel still obscures part of the speedo/tach gauges, as least with telescope set all the way in. At 5'11", this shouldn't happen. There's no apparent gap between the top of the column and the dash, so I'm wondering whether anything can be done about this drawback.

Premium Hi-Fi fidelity is marginal. I suppose it's okay if you like lots of bass, but vocals/treble lack crispness and clarity. Overall sound is a bit muddy.

Manual sport seats lack firmness in the lumbar section, and have no adjustment for such. Seats in general are much softer than I anticipated and way softer than the M Sport Seats from the Z4 Coupe.

Steering feel is adequately-weighted, but feels artificially heavy. Doesn't present a true and lively, connected-to-the-road feel the way an E36 M3 did.

Manual shift knob is awkwardly shaped and is not an ergonomic fit...to my palm anyway. Looks great, but doesn't feel great.

Audio controls are a bit of a mess. It takes too many dash mounted buttons to drill down through menus in order to change between Tuner/Sat/CD and the various levels of audio adjustment.

E46-style fan speed adjustment is lame and inefficient. Give me a quicker and easier rheostat-type knob anyday.

No way to fold down rear seats from inside the cabin. Presumably designed as such for trunk security purposes, but this could be alleviated with a simple keylock, a la Honda.

Why not just raise the steering wheel a few notches so you can see the guages?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

I haven't seen any clarity if this logic 7 is the same as in the 335?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Been like that for a while in BMW's

Quote:
I guess I never cared about the stereo. I am surprised how many people do however. I always thought it was about the car.

Quote:
Hmm...the ones I sat in felt exactly like all the other sport seats i've tried. Lumbar has always been a Premium Package thing not Sport Package. I think it should be standard however.

Quote:
To me it felt just like the E46 M3 wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
-i am 6ft and have no issues with the gauges.. i think you have to mess with the height and tilt of ur seat

-i dont care for audio and i think the std audio is fine for me and i love the tags for songs and the artist too and the direct tuning is awesome!

-i do get the feeling the steering wheels feels artificially heavy esp at low speeds, like when you pull out of the garage

-i love the manual seats and the electronic bolster adj is amazing

-oh and i feel seriously jipped that the auto shift knob has no M on it at all 8(
      03-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
-
-i do get the feeling the steering wheels feels artificially heavy esp at low speeds, like when you pull out of the garage(
Are you saying that it's hard to steer at low speed. If so that is common. I believe it has to do with the amount of steering boost at low speed and RPM's.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
PB07NOVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Quote:
-i am 6ft and have no issues with the gauges.. i think you have to mess with the height and tilt of ur seat

-i dont care for audio and i think the std audio is fine for me and i love the tags for songs and the artist too and the direct tuning is awesome!

-i do get the feeling the steering wheels feels artificially heavy esp at low speeds, like when you pull out of the garage

-oh and i feel seriously jipped that the auto shift knob has no M on it at all 8(
Gee, I guess I missed it: where is the amazing 'electronic bolster' for the manual seat?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I think replacing some of the stock speakers with higher end components might be in order. I tend to do that in my cars. Easy cheap fix that really improves sound quality.

Good luck finding a car with E36 M3-like steering today. I don't think they exist anymore. :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I know! I want to learn stick just for the M logo on the shift knob. I also noticed the steering wheel blocking the gauges, couldn't tell speed or rpms, but I didn't adjust the seat or steering wheel so hopefully I can fix it. Ditto on the radio, having ipod connections is high tech for me lol
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Ringmeister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs and some other stuff

Garage List
1974 BMW 2002 turbo  [0.00]
2001 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

The seats feel good but not great. A lumbar adjust would probably help and I agree they could be a little less squishy in the back portion. Again, I agree on the steering feel but it's basically the same as all new BMWs. I don't know why they can't make it feel like a 20 year old E30 M3 which has the best steering feel of any BMW. The knob is a joke, looks great feels like crap.
1989 M3 Sport Evo #601
2001 M Coupe
2010 M3 Individual
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

for some reason my EQ was set really really awful when i picked it up. also, bass +10, treble -4 ... why? logic 7 was off - i spent 15 minutes trying to get the sound to not be crappy. my suggestion is to play with the controls. and consider your source...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Gee, I guess I missed it: where is the amazing 'electronic bolster' for the manual seat?

toggle switch on the bottem left of your seat ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0