BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

Coding for Replacement OEM Radio?

I need to replace my 2011 radio due to an annoying background noise, even when turned off. There's a tech bulletin out on the issue, but I'm out of warranty. My current radio is coded as HiFi to work with my aftermarket amp. Is this coding done in the radio itself, meaning I'll need the replacement radio coded to HiFi also, or is that stored elsewhere in the car?

Rich
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horigan View Post
I need to replace my 2011 radio due to an annoying background noise, even when turned off. There's a tech bulletin out on the issue, but I'm out of warranty. My current radio is coded as HiFi to work with my aftermarket amp. Is this coding done in the radio itself, meaning I'll need the replacement radio coded to HiFi also, or is that stored elsewhere in the car?

Rich
I haven't done any coding for several years but have used NCSExpert to do a few things. I believe the code for the radio is accessable by this sort of software. Carley may be able to do it. I would look at it's capabilities first. It seems like it would be significantly easier to use. BMW uses the radio to do something for the car, however, so I think people who replace it leave it connected and put it in the trunk or something. I would do some searches.
      11-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
From what I recall yes it is recorded in the radio/nav module.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

I also have a 2011 with this static issue. taibanl is probably the best person to talk to since he was (I think) the first person to discover the SIB for this issue.

I had to reprogram a new combox recently and if its anything like that, it should just be a SG_CODIEREN in NCSExpert in expert mode which resets the settings to your VO. With that said, I haven't tried it yet because I'm not willing to dish out $400+ on the head unit just yet. It's pretty faint, but when it gets louder, I reseat the cables behind the HU and it gets quieter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Carley may be able to do it.
The last time I checked, Carly couldn't do this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0