BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Window/Lights Q

Does anyone know why sometime my windows half come down when I unlock and open a door?
Also my lights (to some degree) are always on, whether I have them on auto or not.
I've posted here as I know the 1er's have regional variations in set up.
Thanks in advance..

Oh, and I've set memory 2 on my seat to point the mirror at my rear nearside tyre..

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
130i
Rep
Drives:

May sound very obvious but are you holding your "unlock" button for too long when unlocking the car? That would start winding your windows down after unlocking?
Or do they drop once you actually open the door?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130i View Post
May sound very obvious but are you holding your "unlock" button for too long when unlocking the car? That would start winding your windows down after unlocking?
Or do they drop once you actuall open the door?
No, I know about that function. I unlock the car with a single or double push and when I open the door sometimes the windows go half down. I wondered if it was related to temperature (i.e. to help cool the interior), but it does it when its warm or cool.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Don't know about the windows, but why the mirror? It does that when you chuck it in reverse (aha, you said the nearside, not the farside...)
      10-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Don't know about the windows, but why the mirror? It does that when you chuck it in reverse (aha, you said the nearside, not the farside...)
yes it will only do that if your mirror controller is on the 'right' side position. if its on the left it doesnt do it. (could be the other way round, forget havent set them for a while) but you know what I mean. Go play around you will work it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep

my dealer said the windows come down because thats BMW's way of giving you better acess into the car if you got your hands full etc. havent tried but I dont think you can stop it. It only happens when you open both sides.
Gee they think of everything.
Yep
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
my dealer said the windows come down because thats BMW's way of giving you better acess into the car if you got your hands full etc. havent tried but I dont think you can stop it. It only happens when you open both sides.
Yep
Ah, that may be it! I'm off to the garage to test it.
Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
chookcooker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Been wondering the same thing. Also I noice sometimes whhen the roofs off, windows down, I hop in and the driver window closes fully?!?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chookcooker View Post
Been wondering the same thing. Also I noice sometimes whhen the roofs off, windows down, I hop in and the driver window closes fully?!?!?!?
That's to keep your hair within BMW tolerances :wink:

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
Yep
Yep, Yep (pardon the punn) that is how it works, my other coupe does it as well. It is REALLY handy when parked close to another car/wall. We all know that with coupe/verts the doors are longer hence the apperture is smaller when opening against another "object". It also makes sense as they go back up when you close the doors. The only way you can stop it is by hitting unlock once, else they (both windows) will go down, but only when the door is opened.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Sorry... can someone explain to me how to make the window come half down when you unlock? My windows slide down slightly (like a cm) which I guessed was to make the opening and closing easier.... but didn't the windows come half down.... I'd love them to do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #12
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Sorry... can someone explain to me how to make the window come half down when you unlock? My windows slide down slightly (like a cm) which I guessed was to make the opening and closing easier.... but didn't the windows come half down.... I'd love them to do that.
Timbo, it should be a simple as hitting the unlock on the key fob twice then open the door.... it should just roll down as soon as the door is opening then close when the door is closed.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #13
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Thanks Alpine.... any suggestions on how to do this with CA? (using key fobs is so last century)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #14
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks Alpine.... any suggestions on how to do this with CA? (using key fobs is so last century)
You need a trunk monkey accessory to push the button twice for you.. :wink:

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #15
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes there is an aswer... "Mister Prim and Propa", if you have questions like that go back to the dealer and see the dude that sold you the car and ask them. i found that they are pretty well trained up with this sort of stuff and are at the ready for any follow up questions to make it easy for their 'clients' (you and me) re after sales service. Shit if i bought a new M3/5 I'd be ringing them or over there all the time just to get use to the radio!! (god I hate reading instructions).
Really I just booked a time to see them and they ran thru it all with me again. Why dont you try it?
Yep.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #16
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hahaha,,,, maybe a button bitch, haven't seen one in the BM options list, suprisingly.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookcooker View Post
Never had that happen Chookcooker..

Do you have CA?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #18
chookcooker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

No CA, Il keep an eye on it and try and figure out a pattern if any.
Maybe Il write it down to our cars having a unique personality- Shes the new lady in my life, and like all women, they have idiosyncrasies (spelling?) ......
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #19
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Alpine has said it, double press unlock will roll it down to assist with entry
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #20
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
You can set how the car locks and unlocks, including rolling down the windows via the setup menus in your car - accessed when the key is in ignition and you push the start button without foot on the clutch, then using the indicator stalk thumb selector thing (up + down) to scroll through your settings menus. Mine only unlocks one door on one press and both doors on a double, rather than putting windows down. It's all in the manual.

As for the lights...that's normal if you have Daytime Running Lights on. Again, this is accessed through settings if you don't like it.

Hope that helps.
      10-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #21
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDave View Post
You can set how the car locks and unlocks, including rolling down the windows via the setup menus in your car - accessed when the key is in ignition and you push the start button without foot on the clutch, then using the indicator stalk thumb selector thing (up + down) to scroll through your settings menus. Mine only unlocks one door on one press and both doors on a double, rather than putting windows down. It's all in the manual.

As for the lights...that's normal if you have Daytime Running Lights on. Again, this is accessed through settings if you don't like it.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, it does. I'll look at the manual in more detail

I use the daytime lights, but when I turn the switch to off, I want them off.
Cheers.

Appreciate 0