BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Ben135i
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i w/DCI, PROcede v4

Non RFT

My RFT's need changing not much tread left on the Tyres, but I don't want the RFT again they are Terrible when driven hard, I want to put Michelin pilot sports on, but my question is how will the non RFT affect my suspension, as I know most suspension setups are tuned to be softer to handle the no give in the tyre wall, is this so in the 135 M suspension, does anyone have experience,
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
bet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I too have been doing research into this issue because after the winter (here in the US) I will need new summer rubber. While I know the knee jerk reaction around here is to say the RFT suck and that getting rid of them is the best thing to do for the car, that may not be the case. First "handling" "feel" "softness" "harshness" etc. are all relative and really depend on your perspective. If you do some searches in the suspension section of the website you will find quite a bit of discussion with regards to suspension set up.

I just got my 135i and I must say the ride quality of the car is the most disappointing aspect for me. It both seems to be "soft" yet "harsh" with the bounciness I always associate with a poor aftermarket "sport" suspension.

There appear to be some that have gotten rid of the RFT and then ended up getting the BMW Performance suspension (or similar) because of too much "softness" after getting rid of the RFT. Not a great answer to your question I know, but I guess my point is the answer is "its complicated". I think the suspension was tuned for the RFT but that doesn't mean it was done correctly and is necessarily done for your liking. Happy searching...it can be a black hole of time reading post about suspensions...trust me I know.
Appreciate 0