BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #23
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by needalifesoon View Post
—Question—
We’re in the same area.. What do you run for tires? I have the Sumitomo tire HTR A/S P02 Performance Radial tire - 225/40R18 92W front / rear.

These tires are new.. coming off my other car and this car (135i) is too strong. When it rains / making turns I have to be gentle on the throttle sense it’s RWD (I slide) What do you recommend and will your recommendation help with potholes? Perhaps a wider rear tire reduces bumps?
Without a doubt, MPS4S. They are fantastic AND are amazing in the rain.
I now run 235 front and 255 rear.

If you want to switch (they aren't for winter driving, but are perfect for summer) and are on stock width wheels, I have two fronts available in 225/40r18 with less than 150 miles on them.
I put them on in the spring and ran them for about a week when I decided to get new (wider) wheels (APEX) and they won't fit. They are just taking up space and collecting dust but are practically brand new, and I will sell them to you for a song, considering they are nearly $300 each new.

To be clear, the MPS4S are one of the best tires money can buy for street use, but they are definitely NOT all-seasons (and in fact would be dangerous to drive in the winter here). I have a set of summer wheels and a separate set of winter wheels. That is how I recommend setting up.
Running all-seasons, you are never going to be able to get good enough traction in the summer compared to dedicated summer performance tires, and you are also compromising safety and driveability in the snow.
RWD and all-seasons is a poor choice.

Last edited by Cavpilot2k; 11-15-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      11-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Wow, just got done reading your review/rating on your rear tires.
Nice! Those tire's are high-performance summer tires though.. which would be perfect for the rain but probably not in the snow. We get slush and lots of snow out here in Boston. Even though the car is a RWD I don't want to slide as easily as I am now. Especially if i'm sliding in the rain.

Name:  Snow Tire Logos    25446481_2006999209327240_6281589066140059425_n.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  winter tires f3x 698_5936148727973681305_n.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  winter  BMW-driver-training-2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  226.7 KB

One tire can't do it all.

I have a set of winter tires for winter driving. Really even when the weather gets bellow 7'C(with no snow)... you need the softer compound of winter tires to drive safely in cold temps and weather. Look for the mountain and snow flake icon on the sidewall of winter tires. Sometimes you also see the M&S logo too.

In Germany... Snow tires are optional(now) BUT... when the weather is colder than 7'C... IF you get into an accident(or hinder traffic bc you have no traction to get up a hill) you can and will be held at fault. Meaning your insurance might not need to pay for any damages. Hence... every German with half a brain buys a set of winter tires to go along with their summer tires. And when the tires have less than 4mm's of thread... its time for new tires!

The "star" on the sidewall means that those tires were tested by BMW and are approved for BMW's. Sometimes you will find nearly identical sized tires by the same manufacturer... but one will have a star - meaning something was changed to meet BMW's tire specs.

The Germans call All Season tires NO SEASONS... bc they just don't cut it in deep snow and ice. You have to have an extra set of alloys for your winter tires. Some people can get away with Michelin AS3's. But I would buy some 17 inch wheels and mount some 205 winters tires on them.

PS: Sorry to thread jack.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
okay, I understand now.
thanks for the clear explanation.
It never hurts to ask questions. That's how we all learn.

Dack
Appreciate 0