BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
Stabbing
Rep
Drives: Grey

08 135i Not Starting

2008 135is
88k Miles
Manual, Comfort Access (key does not have to be inserted to start).
Battery 2 years old
Mods: JB4

Monday, car had kind of a weak hesitant start, but all seemed fine. I didn't think too much about it since I drive the car approximately once every other week, and the morning weather was a bit chilly on this particular day. Let it warm up for a few, then drove to work without any issue.

8 hours later, quittin' time. Car would not start. Fuel pump primed, all electronics are on, no clicking sounds from starter. No codes. Called AAA, tested battery, everything looked good except for a semi loose negative terminal. Tightened it, tried again, no luck. Tried to jump start from the trunk side, no luck. Tried to jump start from the hood side, no luck. Tow'd the car to my buddies shop.

As the car was rolling off the the flatbed it had enough momentum to do a "rolling, or push start" to turn on the car, drove it onto the lift. Tested, starter, no clicks. Bought a new starter, and before installing it, tested it with the same methodology as the previous starter, CLICK, everything looked good to go, begin transplant.

After new starter installed, car still would not start. Nothing seems to have changed, other than the fact, we can now jump start from the hood of the car where we I was unable to do so prior the replacing starters. Checked fuses, all good. Charged the battery over night, no luck.

Reading that it could be an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), Comfort Access module, bad battery (though battery test passed).

I just find it hard to believe that something else along with the starter went bad at the same time.

Thanks for reading my story. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

It's the starter. mine went about that time also.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
Stabbing
Rep
Drives: Grey

The starter was replaced.

Is the engine ground strap wire supposed to be warm (warm to touch, doesn't burn). This might be a clue.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

2 things, one I would check voltage at the positive terminal under the hood, make sure theres 12v there. If not it's possible the safety battery terminal could be bad.

Another more common bmw issue is the engine ground strap under the car. Try grounding the engine with a jumper cable, you can go from the negative terminal under the hood to anything metal on the engine... maybe the oil filter housing. Make sure you have a nice connection and try starting the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Yeah, When my Started was replaced, I was told by the dealer my ground strap as well as the main power wire that feeds the starter needed to be replaced as they were "Worn out" or worn through.
Appreciate 0