BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow (German) Castrol EDGE vs BMW 5W30 oil contest

I found these two interesting videos... before anyone says our engines do not get up to 400' the piston ring area does!

This is some food for thought. I am glad I have been using German made Castrol on my car.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

That is really interesting Dack I thought those two are same and they should be.

Just BMW has some additives which could cause burning...

But really nice vid thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I wonder how it would compare to Mobil 1 0W-40? Also, isn't Castrol 0W-40 made in Belgium? At least the Castrol 0W-40 sold here in the US says it was made in Belgium. German Castrol over here is 0W-30 (though it is a heavy 30).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Wonder who makes the OE oil...

On another note, on Castols(USA) website there is no listing for a '08 128i:

THANK YOU FOR INQUIRING ABOUT WHAT OIL IS BEST FOR YOUR VEHICLE. BASED ON THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDED, YOUR VEHICLE REQUIRES A SPECIAL ENGINE OIL THAT CAN ONLY BE PURCHASED AT YOUR LOCAL DEALER. PLEASE VISIT YOUR LOCAL DEALER TO ENSURE THAT YOUR VEHICLE IS SERVICED PROPERLY.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
Wonder who makes the OE oil...

In the Leipzig Factory where our cars are built they use Castrol oil in 60 gallon drums. They also use Castrol for the brake fluid and diff. I don't remember what brand they used for the trans. I think it was just a white barrel/drum.

The OE oil as seen in this video(its the same oil sold at the BMW Zentrums here) is made by Castrol. You can see the author of the video point to the oil data/factory stamp at the top of the plastic oil bottle. Now WHERE its made is anyones guess.

I know over here, the Castrol oil I buy and use for my 135i says it is made in Germany.

But I know the Castrol oil in the states is made in Belgium. At least thats what you guys(fellow 1Addicts) have posted. I do not know where the oil is made that the US dealer sell. ? All I know is it is also made by Castrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I wonder how it would compare to Mobil 1 0W-40? Also, isn't Castrol 0W-40 made in Belgium? At least the Castrol 0W-40 sold here in the US says it was made in Belgium. German Castrol over here is 0W-30 (though it is a heavy 30).
Yes, I believe so. At least I have seen many fellow 1Addicts say that.

I do think that my Castrol Edge FST 0w40 LL1 oil that I use in my 135i is made in Germany. Interesting enough, the old Castrol oil I used to buy: Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL4, is no long made and the FST Castrol oil has replaced it in their line up.

Edit: I just looked VERY closely at one of my old oil bottles and it says: "made in the EU"!! So its anyones guess where its really made. Just somewhere in EU land. I do know Castrol(BP's) HQ is located in Hamburg, Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Belgian Castrol

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2936863
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Some Castrol can be made in Poland also...

I think the main difference between Castrol and BMW oil is special BMW additives like friction modifier which goes like additive for BMW LSD oil 80-140
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      11-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
In the Leipzig Factory where our cars are built they use Castrol oil in 60 gallon drums. They also use Castrol for the brake fluid and diff. I don't remember what brand they used for the trans. I think it was just a white barrel/drum.

The OE oil as seen in this video(its the same oil sold at the BMW Zentrums here) is made by Castrol. You can see the author of the video point to the oil data/factory stamp at the top of the plastic oil bottle. Now WHERE its made is anyones guess.

I know over here, the Castrol oil I buy and use for my 135i says it is made in Germany.

But I know the Castrol oil in the states is made in Belgium. At least thats what you guys(fellow 1Addicts) have posted. I do not know where the oil is made that the US dealer sell. ? All I know is it is also made by Castrol.

Thanks Dack!!
Appreciate 0