BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Turbo Cooling

I know of some people who let their car idle for about a minute or so before switching the ingnition off to cool their turbos. I had never heard of this until I was riding with my buddy. It sounded like one of those "urban car myths" or something that was needed for turbo cars from decades passed. :iono:

Does anyone here do this? I would imagine with all the technology in the N54 this isn't something that would need to be done, though I certainly would if I thought it would prolong the life of my turbos/engine.

BTW, my car arrives in port on Monday! Should be picking up the beast after Memorial Day!! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
ihatepostmodernism
Private
Rep
Drives:

From what I understand, the idea is not to let the oil sit in the turbos and overheat and thereby form coke. Water cooled turbos dont have to deal with this. Im not sure what the situation is with the 135 as far as how they engineered it, but I think it has oil cooled turbos.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Oil and water cooling. In addition, the water pump is electrically powered so it can run a bit, circulating coolant, after engine shutdown.

See the 'N54' sticky at the top of this forum for MUCH more information. It's dam near required reading.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Just drive real mellow the last 2-3 minutes of your drive to let the turbo's spool down. It's kind of hard with this engine since it build boost at just a little over idle.
It's definitely not an urban myth to let the turbo's spool down prior to shutting down the engine, which then stops the oil flow through the turbo's.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepostmodernism View Post
From what I understand, the idea is not to let the oil sit in the turbos and overheat and thereby form coke. Water cooled turbos dont have to deal with this. Im not sure what the situation is with the 135 as far as how they engineered it, but I think it has oil cooled turbos.
Couldn't be said any better :thumbup:. Keep in mind, however, that new synthetic oils are almost impossible to coke without a large single turbo. On the the high hp cars that we build at our shop, the most we ever set the turbo timer for is 1-2 minutes because anything longer than that can re-raise the temps due to heat soak.
Appreciate 0