BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
gmagnus7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i FBO N54 MT

Stutter when cruising - Injectors failing or clutch slipping?

Hey guys,

I've started to notice a slight stutter or jerking on the highway in 6th gear. It occurs when i'm using cruise control, on flat areas with no change in throttle input. It feels like the throttle is getting cut for a millisecond, or the clutch is slipping but the rpms drop rather than increase. I've attached the logs, you can see the drop in rpm and sometimes ignition timing drops too.

Maybe its a bad injector but it why would that make the rpm drop? I can also hear a a slight clunking sound when it occurs sometimes, and I think it's from the DMFW (it's been slightly audible since switching to the UCC blacks). Maybe the clutch is slipping and/or the DMFW is shot and causing weird vibrations that the knock sensors are picking up?

Not sure what the cause is, lemme know what you guys think. WOT and part throttle are fine and those logs look okay. Whatever it is, it's not kicking it out of cruise when it occurs, and is giving no codes.

EDIT: uploaded zip with 2 logs of it
Attached Files
File Type: zip stutter logs.zip (13.6 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by gmagnus7; 09-08-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I didn't look at your files but your description rules out the clutch. A clutch that is worn out shows up by slipping when you are accelerating hard and you know it is slipping because the engine rpm increases too fast for the car's rate of acceleration. It wouldn't slip at a steady cruise and then hold during hard acceleration.

I think you need to consider ignition in addition to injectors. Could be a bad plug, coil, or injector.
      09-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I would concur with the above. Possibly a leaking injector.

I'd check both the battery positive cable in the engine bay and the ground strap. Those tend to cause odd little running issues.
      10-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
gmagnus7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i FBO N54 MT

Definitely could be fueling related. It does have 4 index 9's and 2 index 12's from when IU originally bought it (and yes I know each bank should have all the same). Switching them all out for all new index 12's in the spring.

I originally thought it was the injectors too but I figured I'd see something abnormal in WOT logs if that's the case. Also was thinking it could be some weird malfunction of the throttle body itself glitching out when in cruise. I'll report back in the spring after I switch out the injectors, going in winter storage for now.
Appreciate 0