BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #45
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

Thanks for this information. Do you know if creep is off in stage 2? Or do I need to go in and turn it off?
      08-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #46
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nut View Post
Thanks for this information. Do you know if creep is off in stage 2? Or do I need to go in and turn it off?
Have to update the app and change the setting before flashing again
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #47
evilrho
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Dinan and MHD are both engine tuning software, XHP tunes the transmission. With the XHP software and “creep” turned off the clutches stay completely disengaged when the car is at a stop as long as the gas pedal isn’t pressed sort of like a manual transmission, this is how the M-cars are from the factory. This way if the engine surges or anything while your stopped at a light it’s not going to make the car lurch or hesitate or anything.
That makes sense. I think I experience the lurching even with light braking as I'm coming into my garage, too. Sometimes it almost stalls the engine and/or runs me into the back of my garage.

So it seems like the XHP with maps will fix this? Or almost fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #48
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrho View Post
That makes sense. I think I experience the lurching even with light braking as I'm coming into my garage, too. Sometimes it almost stalls the engine and/or runs me into the back of my garage.

You have the latest BMW sw installed per the SIB that fixes the issue? I think there are two threads that provide the latest sib that should help your dealership find the right update. But you need to take the sib with you or they will say there is no update or issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #49
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Dinan and MHD are both engine tuning software, XHP tunes the transmission. With the XHP software and "creep" turned off the clutches stay completely disengaged when the car is at a stop as long as the gas pedal isn't pressed sort of like a manual transmission, this is how the M-cars are from the factory. This way if the engine surges or anything while your stopped at a light it's not going to make the car lurch or hesitate or anything.

I've only been driving for 2 days, but I have not noticed and surging or lurching. Frankly I'm rather pleased with how it's behaving.

I do plan to eliminate the creep and reflash this week, so I'll keep this updated.
      08-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #50
evilrho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
You have the latest BMW sw installed per the SIB that fixes the issue? I think there are two threads that provide the latest sib that should help your dealership find the right update. But you need to take the sib with you or they will say there is no update or issue.
I thought I had the latest updates, but it's worth verifying. I'll look for those threads, but if you have it handy, pass it along. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #51
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so last night when I got home from work I reflashed stage 2 with creep disabled. Took under 2 minutes, just like they said to expect. Didn't drive it until this morning, and I wasn't sure if I'd notice a difference...

Immediately noticed it as soon as I put it in reverse, and pulled over my parking hump. It took quite a bit more throttle input, so I was intrigued. After my normal commute this morning, I think this was a great choice to deal with some of the idiosyncrasies of the DCT in our cars.

1. No more uncertainty or variability in what level of throttle input it takes to pull away from a stop. It was always a bit of roulette whether or not it would be smooth, jerky, sudden...it was never consistent over the 3 years I've had the car.

2. I've experienced no surfing or lurching in the few days I've been driving it. Vary stable and consistent.

3. The shifts in stage 2 are nice and snappy. Not jerky or violent, I really like it.

4. This feels like something I can live with, and maybe even let someone else in the family drive once in a while. Before, I was annoyed and exasperated with the DCT, even considering going back to a manual because it was so frustrating. Time will tell if this is a permanent solution, but it's very promising
dtla1827.50
lab_rat394.50
      08-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #52
evilrho
Rep

Quote:
This feels like something I can live with, and maybe even let someone else in the family drive once in a while. Before, I was annoyed and exasperated with the DCT, even considering going back to a manual because it was so frustrating. Time will tell if this is a permanent solution, but it's very promising
This is good to hear. Have you noticed a difference when the engine is hot with the A/C on?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #53
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This feels like something I can live with, and maybe even let someone else in the family drive once in a while. Before, I was annoyed and exasperated with the DCT, even considering going back to a manual because it was so frustrating. Time will tell if this is a permanent solution, but it's very promising
This is good to hear. Have you noticed a difference when the engine is hot with the A/C on?
None yet. The A/C is always on and my commute is 30 minutes. I'm paying close attention when I get home and pull into my driveway as that's when I've nearly hit my own cars because of it! It was always a bit sporadic though...
      08-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #54
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I disabled the "creep" function and at least on my car it still creeps! Not as much as it used to, it's reduced by around 70%. But when I shift from neutral to drive the car starts rolling forward and the engine bogs down a bit with the extra load. No I'm not on an incline. Even when on a slight incline, when I release the brake the car begins to roll forward.

Not sure if this mimics the M-DCT, I've never driven one. Or maybe it has something to do with hill assist? I'm worried the light dragging of the clutches is going to burn them out prematurely.

This will definitely take some time getting used to!

I also decided not to use the stock shift maps and it feels a little better, but not much of a difference, at least not yet.

After putting some miles on it I now have a very subtle burp on 2-3 shift in D sport off that wasn't there before. No additional upshift burps anywhere else. I only consistently get them on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in M sport off.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #55
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I disabled the "creep" function and at least on my car it still creeps! Not as much as it used to, it's reduced by around 70%. But when I shift from neutral to drive the car starts rolling forward and the engine bogs down a bit with the extra load. No I'm not on an incline. Even when on a slight incline, when I release the brake the car begins to roll forward.
I turned creep off on my car as well, and it does not move at all when taking my foot off the brake while in gear. However, I can confirm that there is still a difference in engine load between neutral and being in gear. I have my minimum idle set to 900rpm via MHD, and it will hold that steady in neutral or park, but as soon as I go into any gear even with creep off, RPMS drop to around 700 and will not go above that without throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #56
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
I turned creep off on my car as well, and it does not move at all when taking my foot off the brake while in gear. However, I can confirm that there is still a difference in engine load between neutral and being in gear. I have my minimum idle set to 900rpm via MHD, and it will hold that steady in neutral or park, but as soon as I go into any gear even with creep off, RPMS drop to around 700 and will not go above that without throttle.
The idle speed is likely just dependent on the gear position, maybe not load, so never mind on that one.

Is there a difference in creep when cold vs warm? If it's a wet clutch the fluid viscosity would transfer torque between both sides of the clutch, just like a torque converter. Warmer fluid would have a lower viscosity and transfer less torque. My drive to work is at most 10 minutes, so the trans barely gets warm. So maybe that's what I'm experiencing...?

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #57
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The idle speed is likely just dependent on the gear position, maybe not load, so never mind on that one.

Is there a difference in creep when cold vs warm? If it's a wet clutch the fluid viscosity would transfer torque between both sides of the clutch, just like a torque converter. Warmer fluid would have a lower viscosity and transfer less torque. My drive to work is at most 10 minutes, so the trans barely gets warm. So maybe that's what I'm experiencing...?
The clutches are oil cooled (from what I read) so they are in fact wet. However, I notice very minimal differences in transmission behavior between it being warm and cold. On light throttle shifts I can't really tell a difference. I do let my car fully warm up before heavy throttle though for obvious reasons. As for the creeping I can't imagine why your car would possibly still be doing so if it's disabled properly. I would confirm via flash settings, and try a reflash regardless. If that doesn't work maybe reach out to XHP.

Your 2-3 shift bog that you mentioned earlier sound similar to what I experienced after flashing with default settings. Between shifts it was faster, but slightly rough. I adjusted torque kick and torque reduction slightly and that fixed that issue for me. Now shifts are seamless and slightly faster then they were even after the initial flash.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #58
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The clutches are oil cooled (from what I read) so they are in fact wet. However, I notice very minimal differences in transmission behavior between it being warm and cold. On light throttle shifts I can't really tell a difference. I do let my car fully warm up before heavy throttle though for obvious reasons. As for the creeping I can't imagine why your car would possibly still be doing so if it's disabled properly. I would confirm via flash settings, and try a reflash regardless. If that doesn't work maybe reach out to XHP.

Your 2-3 shift bog that you mentioned earlier sound similar to what I experienced after flashing with default settings. Between shifts it was faster, but slightly rough. I adjusted torque kick and torque reduction slightly and that fixed that issue for me. Now shifts are seamless and slightly faster then they were even after the initial flash.
So I put some more miles on mine and the creep is 100% dependent on trans temp. After getting it warm the creep was 95% gone, so it's definitely flashed correctly. I need to do an fluid change, maybe that will affect it as well as I suspect the used fluid will have slightly different viscosity than new.. Currently have 56K miles on the stock fluid.

I don't have a "bog", its a burp sound on upshifts which is pleasant sounding, no complaints! With heavier throttle it will also burp 1-2 in D.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #59
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I put some more miles on mine and the creep is 100% dependent on trans temp. After getting it warm the creep was 95% gone, so it's definitely flashed correctly. I need to do an fluid change, maybe that will affect it as well as I suspect the used fluid will have slightly different viscosity than new.. Currently have 56K miles on the stock fluid.

I don't have a "bog", its a burp sound on upshifts which is pleasant sounding, no complaints! With heavier throttle it will also burp 1-2 in D.
Ah okay that may be true! I have maybe 2k miles on the fluid that's currently in my trans so that may explain it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #60
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay that may be true! I have maybe 2k miles on the fluid that's currently in my trans so that may explain it.
What fluid you got? I'm leaning towards stock Pentosin by have my eyes on Motul as well.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #61
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What fluid you got? I'm leaning towards stock Pentosin by have my eyes on Motul as well.
Sadly I'm not totally sure lol. I had someone change my rod bearings and put a m4 flywheel on recently. Since that requires the trans to be dropped I had him change the fluid as well but I'm not sure what was used.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:15 AM   #62
bylkylov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M-Sport 2012

Just flashed stage 3 and the most noticeable is that D mode is a million times better now, like it's actually usable now when before I would never use it due to it being annoyingly dumb.

I have SSP 900 clutches and M4 flywheel so it was already extremely fast (also PS2), but I wanted to see if I can get it to be faster.

From as far as I felt in 20 miles I put on the flash, it does feel a bit faster. Feels more smooth, especially under power. I'm gonna see how I feel about it after driving longer, but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #63
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update: I've been running the flash for weeks now, and unfortunately the lurching/ idle fluctuations when coming to a stop is still there, and as bad as ever. While I do still like the shift points and snappy gear changes, I still have some drivability issues...
      10-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #64
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Update: I've been running the flash for weeks now, and unfortunately the lurching/ idle fluctuations when coming to a stop is still there, and as bad as ever. While I do still like the shift points and snappy gear changes, I still have some drivability issues...
Might want to try re-learning all of the transmission adaptations with ista as well as the engine adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #65
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Same here. Honestly, Ive been having them before XHP right after I flashed my custom tune. Used to never have bad idle before that. No clue how to proceed.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #66
hardcoreracing
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

update from xhp

Here's an update I just received from xhp:

"Clemens is working on refining the E-series DCT calibration at the moment and we will bring an update in the very near future, which should fix the last issues customers have with it."
Appreciate 0