BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Raikkonen bids for 2011 Renault seat

Seems all the rumors were spot on. He is indeed interested.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86688

Quote:
Kimi Raikkonen is making a fresh bid to return to Formula 1 next year after approaching the Renault team for a drive in 2011, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Although it had looked likely that Raikkonen would remain in the World Rally Championship next year after his switch of discipline for this season, AUTOSPORT has learned that Raikkonen has renewed his interest in getting back to grand prix racing.

Sources have revealed that in the wake of Renault's impressive form at the Belgian Grand Prix, Raikkonen approached the French car manufacturer with the intent of putting a deal together.

It is not clear, however, whether Raikkonen spoke to Renault himself or if it was done through his management team.

Raikkonen has always insisted that he would only come back to F1 if he was in a competitive car - and that is something that Renault now appears to be able to offer him.

But despite Raikkonen's credentials, Renault is in no rush to advance talks with him - and it is still holding on for current driver Vitaly Petrov to prove he can deliver what the team is demanding of him.

Renault team principal Eric Boullier confirmed that Raikkonen had approached the team - and is in contention for a seat alongside Robert Kubica in 2011.

"It is true that the summer has passed and we have had more and more requests - and the guy you mentioned [Raikkonen] is on the radar now," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"He is on the radar because he contacted us."

Boullier has long said that the team will keep Petrov next year if the Russian can improve his consistency throughout a whole race weekend - and not make silly errors like his spin in qualifying in Spa and blocking Timo Glock in qualifying at Monza.

When asked what Petrov had to do to convince Renault that he is a better option than Raikkonen, Boullier said: "He is not very far away to be honest.

"It is still very complicated for him to have a complete weekend and be faultless, and that is where he needs to work and focus on, and develop clearly his commitment and dedication."

One of the attractions of Petrov is the commercial possibilities he opens up in Russia, and Boullier said Renault would have to change its approach if it decided to take the Raikkonen route.

"It would be a different strategy for the team," he said. "And that is not a question of personality or having a world championship title - it will cost me more if he is world champion than if he is not. It is not a question of this - it is a different strategy.

"You work differently if you have a rookie - and in supporting him - than if you have two experienced drivers. So it is different.

"We need to think about it. But the priority is Vitaly, and to see how he will develop. If we are convinced then we will keep him definitely. This is the first option.

But there are several other options, and one of them is Kimi."

Boullier said he expected a decision on Renault's 2011 driver line-up to be made before the end of the season.
      09-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Kubica and Raikkonen would be a force to be reckoned with. Both awesome drivers. If Renault improves the car just a bit more they could prove to be a real threat in 2011.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
One of the attractions of Petrov is the commercial possibilities he opens up in Russia
^ this the main reason it won't happen with Kimi at Renault.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Gotta love it when people are able to buy seats in an F1 car... I think I heard that he brought something like $10M in sponsorship? I know I see Lada on the car already.

I don't think Petrov is a terrible driver, he's actually done pretty well with a clear track in front of him but he's also made a bunch of rookie mistakes that have taken him out of many races. I would rather see Kimi in the seat but I can certainly see them denying him the seat for the reasons stated above. India and Russia are the next tracks to be added to the calendar but they are also adding the US without an American driver so that's BS about needing to have a driver from that country.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Wait till Renault shows Kimi the fridge full of Coke cans and Magnums...
      09-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Would love to see Kimi come back with Renault!
Appreciate 0