BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2020, 04:17 AM   #1
NA64LIFE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 128i Msport

3 Stage Intake Mani and Stage FP Tune Review

I'm sure reviews for 3 stage IM and tune are not necessary anymore as everyone knows that they are the best mods in terms of power for our cars. But, I'm so satisfied with the results that I wanted to give my 2 cents.

My car: N52, Intake and exhaust. No headers.

Install:

3 Stage Intake Manifold - This was relatively easy as long as you take your time and follow the diy's on the forums. I did it over the course of 3 days, spending 1 hour a day and really taking my time. Even the hose clips that everyone tends to struggle with weren't too bad at all, just gotta give a good squeeze and pull.

Stage FP Tune - Took about 1 hour for downloading my stock tune and 10 minutes uploading the modified file.

Impressions:

EVERY N52 needs to do these mods. I almost sold my car due to the lack of oomph and drama from the stock N52. Being a previous E46 M3 owner, I missed having that extra surge of power in the mid-upper rpms. While I still don't have that kick in the upper rpms, from 3-5k it feels great. There's a sense of urgency now with the car that was previously non existent imo. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
asbrr540.50
      04-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA64LIFE View Post
I'm sure reviews for 3 stage IM and tune are not necessary anymore as everyone knows that they are the best mods in terms of power for our cars. But, I'm so satisfied with the results that I wanted to give my 2 cents.

Install:

3 Stage Intake Manifold - This was relatively easy as long as you take your time and follow the diy's on the forums. I did it over the course of 3 days, spending 1 hour a day and really taking my time. Even the hose clips that everyone tends to struggle with weren't too bad at all, just gotta give a good squeeze and pull.

Stage FP Tune - Took about 1 hour for downloading my stock tune and 10 minutes uploading the modified file.

Impressions:

EVERY N52 needs to do these mods. I almost sold my car due to the lack of oomph and drama from the stock N52. Being a previous E46 M3 owner, I missed having that extra surge of power in the mid-upper rpms. While I still don't have that kick in the upper rpms, from 3-5k it feels great. There's a sense of urgency now with the car that was previously non existent imo. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Nice.....Previous E46 M3 owner here myself.

Now Headers will give you that kick in the upper RPM's.

I did the 3SI first as well. Then I did headers, and finally Milvs. All using Bob's (Stage FP) tune. Milvs are like adding a 3SI all over again, but across the entire rpm range.

The car rips. Now if you really want to see a difference and you don't drive on the interstate that much, swap in a rear differential from and Automatic car.

It has a 3:73 gear that makes it feel like you did all the mods above a second time. It gives more of a Seat of The Pants feeling than anything. I love it.

I do occasionally hit the Interstate for spurts of 15 miles or less.....but even then cruising at 70mph with the elevated RPM doesn't bother me. It's similar to doing it in 5th gear instead of 6th.

You can find used rear diffs on the auction site. I picked mine up out of a car that was wrecked from a front end collision and it only had 21K miles on it. All I did was drain the OEM fluid and add Redline rear diff fluid.

I paid about $300, and did the install in about 1 day taking my time. It's just an unbolt and bolt in procedure basically.

Good luck. Just wanted to share what else is out there.
Olgeezer1173.00
      04-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:

Install:

Impressions:

Pay close attention even in the upper RPM ranges (4-6500) - the car would simply "run out of lungs" in stock form, it pulls much better all the way up. I felt like I was "discovering" the car for a good few weeks because the changes in response and extra torque are all over the place (even down low).
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
NA64LIFE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

The car rips. Now if you really want to see a difference and you don't drive on the interstate that much, swap in a rear differential from and Automatic car.

It has a 3:73 gear that makes it feel like you did all the mods above a second time. It gives more of a Seat of The Pants feeling than anything. I love it.
I want to do MILVS but I just replaced my valve cover last year and dont want to do that all over again so soon. The rear diff swap however sounds very tempting. What do your RPMs sit at around 75-80 mph? Thanks for the advice and further putting a dent in my wallet
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I want to do MILVS but I just replaced my valve cover last year and dont want to do that all over again so soon. The rear diff swap however sounds very tempting. What do your RPMs sit at around 75-80 mph? Thanks for the advice and further putting a dent in my wallet
I will check today on the drive from work and get back to you! But IIRC...It was in the 3300 rpm range at 80.

**edit** I could only get to 75 for a stretch because I didn't want to push my luck here....but 3100 rpm at 75mph.

Last edited by Rmtt; 04-24-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
terced
1Addicts Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E82 128i

Quote:

thanks for the info, getting the parts together to do this to mine and was a little hesitant based on mixed review but this is what I was looking for
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #7
NA64LIFE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I will check today on the drive from work and get back to you! But IIRC...It was in the 3300 rpm range at 80.

**edit** I could only get to 75 for a stretch because I didn't want to push my luck here....but 3100 rpm at 75mph.
Thanks! I'm definitely considering it, since I'm barely on the highway.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-25-2020, 04:54 AM   #8
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I'm definitely considering it, since I'm barely on the highway.
I swear....it feels like you did every available bolt-on all over again.

Gear changes have always provided the biggest SOTP feeling on any car I've owned.

I remember one of my old Corvette's I did a gear change on. Later I did H/C/I and added over 100hp, but the gear change felt like it provided more power than the other mods.
      04-25-2020, 05:17 AM   #9
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Quote:

MILVs are currently out of stock no?? Unless someone returns Marty their old pair
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
MILVs are currently out of stock no?? Unless someone returns Marty their old pair
That sucks. I guess he really did buy up every set in NA when he was setting up shop.

I'm glad I got in when I did......and I sent him back my old ones. Such a great mod.
      04-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #11
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Check with Marty, the website does not have current info, and I'm pretty sure he has stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #12
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlo View Post
Check with Marty, the website does not have current info, and I'm pretty sure he has stock.
sweet

I have my old ones Bob gave back to me when I went to Stage so I'll probably have to reach out to Marty then.. it would be nice to have a back up of these for those late mileage days

I got my MILVs done at about 23k miles
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 05:15 AM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
sweet

I have my old ones Bob gave back to me when I went to Stage so I'll probably have to reach out to Marty then.. it would be nice to have a back up of these for those late mileage days

I got my MILVs done at about 23k miles
I would send them in and get your credit.

IIRC, those parts were capable of lasting much longer than the car ever will as confirmed by Marty's guy that did the milling work.

I think it's only $40 bucks or so, but hey....extra gas money!