BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #23
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I've been through your thread. Did you ever upgrade to a different pulley, or did you stay with the same. If I remember....you were at 300hp to the wheels.

Also just wondering if you had any seal issues after discovering the vent plug "mishap" from your initial install. I remember reading about it, but didn't recall if that fixed your issue.

I'm so tempted to look at the new kit that's out as I do have Milvs and headers, but only live about 3 hours away from my tuner.

Thanks!
It's still running the 300whp arrangement. It's working fine and I need the reliability from this conservative tune since the car does everything for me... school runs, going to work, do grocery, even giving my work client a ride from time to time.

That said, I will be doing another small tune later next month to increase the intake valve timing (there is a small adjustment even without MILVS) and raise the redline from 7000rpm ro 7500rpm.

About the transport/venting plug mishap, I ended up changing out the supercharger impeller seal and things are fine since.

How's the MILVs? good increase in mid range torque?
Rmtt8206.00
      12-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #24
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
+1.....I love my little 128. Wouldn't think of trading or selling it!

I need the hatchback/4drs so I have no choice.
Rmtt8206.00
      12-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #25
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
It's still running the 300whp arrangement. It's working fine and I need the reliability from this conservative tune since the car does everything for me... school runs, going to work, do grocery, even giving my work client a ride from time to time.

That said, I will be doing another small tune later next month to increase the intake valve timing (there is a small adjustment even without MILVS) and raise the redline from 7000rpm ro 7500rpm.

About the transport/venting plug mishap, I ended up changing out the supercharger impeller seal and things are fine since.

How's the MILVs? good increase in mid range torque?
The Milvs did for mid range what the headers did for the upper RPM range. It was a noticeable difference right away.

I may eventually end up with the new kit with the stock pulley as like you, I tend to err on the side of caution. But I believe that ~300 at the wheels is plenty for how this car drives.
      12-16-2019, 04:16 AM   #26
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I need the hatchback/4drs so I have no choice.
Oh...I love the hatchback. It's a shame you can't get them here. You would see a lot more people with those than the 128 probably!
      12-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #27
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
I have the ESS SC for 2 years now, the car is DD and is running great still, you can find some reference on my post in 3-series forum.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385828

If you have questions feel free to ask.
In all honestly it's much easier to just go for an N54/55 for power, unless you really love your current car like I do lol.
]

Wow! I'm loving this so what is the difference between 128 and 130 N52? Is it the intake stage 3 manifold? Or it's because you are overseas..Also do you have the AA exhaust headers installed or just stock..... my next question is ...can I have my mechanic install the kit with the AA headers and have Bob at BPC send I tune for it to be installed or is it more complicated than that..
2013 BMW 128i | 1m Front and Rear Bumpers with Aggressive Rear Diffuser | LCI Blackline Rear Tail Lights | Custom Headlights | Xtron Touch Screen Head Unit | 19" VMR 803's staggered | M3 Control Arms | M3 Front Swaybar | Polly Rear Subframe bushings | BMW Performance Big Bake Kit | BMW Performance Strut Brace | Custom Magna Flow Quad Exhaust | BC Coilovers | Stage 3 Intake | AA exhaust Header |Supercharger Gen3| StageFP Tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:34 AM   #28
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOStyle View Post
]
Wow! I'm loving this so what is the difference between 128 and 130 N52? Is it the intake stage 3 manifold? Or it's because you are overseas..Also do you have the AA exhaust headers installed or just stock..... my next question is ...can I have my mechanic install the kit with the AA headers and have Bob at BPC send I tune for it to be installed or is it more complicated than that..
Let's tackle the question one by one, to my knowledge;

1. I think the difference is in the manifold (N52 with 3-stage), the ECU tuning, and the lack of secondary Cat (I only have the primary cat build in with the OEM header.) My car is listed with 265hp stock from BMW, actual wheel horsepower should be about 220~230hp. Oh one other thing, here in my country we can only buy 98-octane petrol, no other choice.

2. In terms of power, my car only has the Vortech V3 supercharger with 120mm pulley, custom dyno tune and a BMW performance exhaust (which does not much). My car is RHD, so no off-the-shelf header available... AA is only for LHD vehicle.

3. That's a decision you have to make. Installation itself isn't extremely hard with a knowledgeable BMW mechanic, the kit's fitment is relatively good.
To be honest for a custom build like this Supercharger on an NA motor I do not think remote tune is optimal at all. Try to search for any local tuner with a Dyno. FYI, using the original ESS tune which comes with the Supercharger only net me 258 wheel horsepower, about +35hp from stock., which is ... well.

Just in case you are really in for the supercharger, here are some of the things to look out for;

i. The SC kit's intake is relocated to bumper level around where the fog light is. Hydrolock is a real issue if you country rains a bit. I created a shield of sort to stop water splashing into the intake. Relocating the intake elsewhere is not easy because the engine room is very tight after installing the supercharger.

ii. The original ESS tune will disable your ability to use the throttle and brake simultaneously, which is a big issue if you do left foot braking or is a manual car which required throttle blipping during downshift. You can try to cut the brake signal to the ECU or maybe dial it out by re-coding?

iii. Despite the Vortech, being a centrifugal supercharger, only produce a small amount of extra heat, the engine will still no doubt be running hotter than NA. I recommend to add at least a small oil cooler and an oil temp gauge for peace of mind. I retrofit N54 oem oil cooler, which only requires minimal trimming and gets the job done.

iv. Check your vortech unit's oil level every now and then. The seal will weep a little, keep the oil top up.

v. In case you do not know, the Vortech V3 is a centrifugal supercharger type, which mean it makes boost in proportion to the rpm. It brings minimal boost at low rpm (good for economy, but not much to offer below 4000rpm), and max boost at redline. So to make it all work you need to keep up the rev a bit like how you drive those old type Honda Vtec.

Here is how the car drives in an empty mountain road.

I personally love the supercharger. It may not be the most efficient way to boost the engine but it has such a unique character.

That's it for now, if you still have question just ask away.
Rmtt8206.00
asbrr540.50
      12-18-2019, 01:32 AM   #29
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Oh another thing, you absolutely need to fit a limited slip differential if you wanted to go the supercharger route, otherwise you will have no hope putting the power down. Even with wide sticky rear tyre you will just ended up lifting the inside rear wheel during corner exit.
Rmtt8206.00
      12-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #30
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

ESS SC gen3 will be here on Thursday from Norway hopefully Christmas does not mess delivery up....I finally got a hold of Bob from BPC now started his own company...I purchase his tune for the ESS with AA header and Stage3 intake... should be here at the same time. I am excited to see what kind of performance gain my little entry level gets does anyone know if there is a intercooler kit for the N52? im also ordering the smaller pully for the little oner. will keep you guys posted with the install. heres a few up grades CF hood and truck..Bavgruppe headlights will be installed next week
Attached Images

2013 BMW 128i | 1m Front and Rear Bumpers with Aggressive Rear Diffuser | LCI Blackline Rear Tail Lights | Custom Headlights | Xtron Touch Screen Head Unit | 19" VMR 803's staggered | M3 Control Arms | M3 Front Swaybar | Polly Rear Subframe bushings | BMW Performance Big Bake Kit | BMW Performance Strut Brace | Custom Magna Flow Quad Exhaust | BC Coilovers | Stage 3 Intake | AA exhaust Header |Supercharger Gen3| StageFP Tune.

Last edited by SteveOStyle; 12-23-2019 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #31
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Glad you got in touch with Bob. Keep us updated. Will you be keeping your AA headers with the Supercharger install if Bob is going to tune it....or do you still plan to swap out the manifold later?

Very interested in how things go for you, and looking forward to see how the newest version of the Supercharger functions. Things such as clock positions, where the intake filter ends up, fitment, etc.

Kubricks had some more tuning done and was able to get some more power out of his unit with the stock pulley. He is running an intercooler he pieced together himself I believe.....so maybe he will chime in. He also mentioned that he was maxed out using the fuel injectors with the ESS kit....and that was with a stock pulley. Something maybe to think about.

I will be watching closely as this may be my next route of power adder. I would love to see how it combines with the MILVS I have.

Plus Bob is within driving distance of me, so if I were to go this route, I would be having him dyno-tune the car.

Can't wait to see your progress!
      12-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #32
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad you got in touch with Bob. Keep us updated. Will you be keeping your AA headers with the Supercharger install if Bob is going to tune it....or do you still plan to swap out the manifold later?

Very interested in how things go for you, and looking forward to see how the newest version of the Supercharger functions. Things such as clock positions, where the intake filter ends up, fitment, etc.

Kubricks had some more tuning done and was able to get some more power out of his unit with the stock pulley. He is running an intercooler he pieced together himself I believe.....so maybe he will chime in. He also mentioned that he was maxed out using the fuel injectors with the ESS kit....and that was with a stock pulley. Something maybe to think about.

I will be watching closely as this may be my next route of power adder. I would love to see how it combines with the MILVS I have.

Plus Bob is within driving distance of me, so if I were to go this route, I would be having him dyno-tune the car.

Can't wait to see your progress!
Yes I will be keeping the AA headers I already told Bob I would like to keep the headers and he said his tune will work with it ….he will get back to me about the Vortex smaller pully and where to purchase it from apparently the ess SC gen3 for the e46 m3 uses the same smaller pully as the gen2 so my mechanic says it should be the same for the n52 ...I am going to install a intercooler but will need some piping made up. hopefully Kurbricks can help me with this ...I am considering doing the MILVS but will ask Bob more details in what I would need to have this done. I will keep you guys posted in the progress.
Appreciate 2
MCShred99.00
Rmtt8206.00
      12-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #33
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have the ESS SC for 2 years now, the car is DD and is running great still, you can find some reference on my post in 3-series forum.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385828

If you have questions feel free to ask.
In all honestly it's much easier to just go for an N54/55 for power, unless you really love your current car like I do lol.
I'm getting motivated to make a mistake with that 🤤
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #34
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It's here going to start the installation today I'm excited...will keep you posted
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
      12-28-2019, 05:16 AM   #35
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's here going to start the installation today I'm excited...will keep you posted
Looks very nice!
      12-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #36
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes I will be keeping the AA headers I already told Bob I would like to keep the headers and he said his tune will work with it ….he will get back to me about the Vortex smaller pully and where to purchase it from apparently the ess SC gen3 for the e46 m3 uses the same smaller pully as the gen2 so my mechanic says it should be the same for the n52 ...I am going to install a intercooler but will need some piping made up. hopefully Kurbricks can help me with this ...I am considering doing the MILVS but will ask Bob more details in what I would need to have this done. I will keep you guys posted in the progress.
I never had an intercooler setup although I wish to have one. The space is simply too restricted to add anything like that without some major modification to the engine bay. To lower the intake temp without any intercooler I am planning to install meth injection and have it spray only at high rev. Will see how it performs.

I just had the OEM oil cooler from N54, which helps a little.

Quote:
The new sueprcharger looks nice.
Is it still a Vortech unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcossE82 View Post
I'm getting motivated to make a mistake with that ��
Do it lol

Last edited by Kubricks; 12-29-2019 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:43 AM   #37
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
[/QUOTE=The new sueprcharger looks nice.
Is it still a Vortech unit?
As far as I know it's an ESS complete Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #38
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What I mean is where they source the supercharger, I don't think they fabricate their own. It's either Vortech or Pro-charger or Rotrex based.

Nevermind I am just wondering whether they switch supplier.
      12-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #39
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What I mean is where they source the supercharger, I don't think they fabricate their own. It's either Vortech or Pro-charger or Rotrex based.

Nevermind I am just wondering whether they switch supplier.
The make it in house it's ESS kit their own there own design
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #40
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The make it in house it's ESS kit their own there own design
Well that's great.
Hope everything goes well on your installation and tuning.
      12-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #41
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

ESS SC gen3 has a little hiccup apparently because my 2013 is the last of the production 1 series the alternator is a little different than the older models alternator the connections are lower rather than higher so the SC is rubbing up against the connectors even though we adjusted the blower on the housing it still will not line up correctly and is touching the alternator ... we reached out to ESS and waiting on a response to see what can be done without purchasing a older alternator I will keep you updated on the progress
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
asbrr540.50
Rmtt8206.00
      12-31-2019, 11:03 AM   #42
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good luck with everything. Do you know specifically what year the cut-over was to the new alternator? Just wondering as mine is a 2011.
      12-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #43
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ESS SC gen3 has a little hiccup apparently because my 2013 is the last of the production 1 series the alternator is a little different than the older models alternator the connections are lower rather than higher so the SC is rubbing up against the connectors even though we adjusted the blower on the housing it still will not line up correctly and is touching the alternator ... we reached out to ESS and waiting on a response to see what can be done without purchasing a older alternator I will keep you updated on the progress
Awe Frick I've got a 2013 to 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 08:34 PM   #44
SteveOStyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ok we had to add some spacers to clear the alternator and modified the drivers side air duct to fit the air cleaner
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00