BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Wheel Strength Survey - What do you know?

Wheel weight and strength come up in a lot of discussions. Because forums often contain misinformation and anecdotal evidence, we're working on some technical articles to clear things up. We're polling the community so we can incorporate some of the results in our article, and so we can spot areas we may need to focus on more. It's a brief survey with just a few questions that graze the surface of what we want to cover.

NOTE: Our survey threads tend to turn into opinionated discussions with people posting their answers, so don't read any of the posts below until you've taken the survey yourself.

Click HERE to take the survey.

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 09-14-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I'd be pretty shocked if a significant portion of your consumer base considered any of this.

I'd have to imagine that most wheel consumers in this price range just want wheels that look cool, have a better offset, and maybe weigh a little less than stock. Even on a BMW forum.

Curious as to the results of your survey.
      09-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Patriot_Pat
Rep
Drives: 128

I'd like to add that the #1 thing I consider when looking for wheels is whether they're round or not, which I didn't realize I needed to consider until I received multiple pairs of wheels that were oval.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I like to stay with OE wheels. I trust BMW to give me a wheel which is strong yet not too heavy. I did hit a big pot hole hard last spring with no damage to tire (17") or wheel. Also, the most often overlooked situation is a damaged beyond repair wheel that is no longer available so you're stuck with 3 wheels. Even 20, 30 years later I can still find that OE BMW wheel that I need.
If you do really want aftermarket wheels, BUY 5.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I like to stay with OE wheels. I trust BMW to give me a wheel which is strong yet not too heavy. I did hit a big pot hole hard last spring with no damage to tire (17") or wheel. Also, the most often overlooked situation is a damaged beyond repair wheel that is no longer available so you're stuck with 3 wheels. Even 20, 30 years later I can still find that OE BMW wheel that I need.
Good point. I'm always looking at new wheels and think about aftermarket wheels availability if you trash one later in time.
      09-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Eh. A 'benefit' of buying new wheels is that the old ones are still there. My wheels and tires are in excellent shape. No need to spend another $500 on a a wheel I'll probably never use.