BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #45
akua99
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Does BMW performance intake use a different filter?
Do you need remove air filter box to replace filter like original one?
I've searched in forum but could not find answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #46
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Yes to both. It utilizes a "sport" filter which is basically a K&N type orange (and presumably oiled) filter.
      01-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #47
akua99
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Thanks for the answer.
I was hoping that the perfomance intake filter uses same as round European version which does not require to dissassemble whole filter box to replace filter.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #48
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
No, it's a flat panel filter, same as stock. You'd have to convert to the Euro airbox and then buy the Euro Performance intake to get the "sport" cone filter.
      02-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #49
Looks
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 125i Coupe

Hmm, after reading this thread, I think the PI is my next mod!!

Currently got the BMW PE fitted, sprint booster fitted, and BMS PBX lying around to fit.

Will be interesting to see the real gains with all four items fitted...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #50
YarkoDrives
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is 98FS, 128i, 335xi,

Just unpacked the BMW Performance Intake Parts.

The "third intake" looks to be an outlet to maintain airflow thru the box at speed, even when the throttle is closed.

the channel is the full width of the cover about 1/2" deep it starts halfway down the cover. It runs along the back half of the air box toward the strut tower. A sealed plastic cap completes the tunnels along the outer side of the strut tower. It terminates at 2 small holes each about the size of a nickel behind the strut tower, at the cowl weatherstrip.

I can't image these two small holes are serving any function as an intake. Though perhaps they may whistle is the throttle is pressed quickly, when the car is parked, as there would be no airflow thru the box due to forward movement.

At speed the cowl is a low pressure area, the low pressure will pull air through the air box. this is a good thing:

So image the throttle is closed going into a corner, the car is moving fast enough to create negative pressure on the cowl, so thru the tiny ports air is being sucked through the airbox. Cool Air is moving from the scoops thru the inlets, and over the air filter...
Now, coming out of the corner the throttle opens and takes cold air from the stream over the filter. So, effectively the intake length is shorter.

Consider the stock box:
assuming there's no similar pull-thru outlet on a stock box, once the throttle closes the air in the airbox is stale, just a little comes thru for idle. The air also absorbs some heat while stagnate. At speed when the throttle opens the closest cool air is at the scoops at the front of the car. It has to get all warm air in the box and inlet moving before that air is available.

There's also some fluid dynamics to having a side stream of air; it allows the additional air needed for the opening throttle slide along with the existing stream without creating turbulence. in the front of the intake.

In the stock system quickly opening the throttle creates turbulence in the inlets; that results in a less efficient delivery and a sucking sound.

All that said, I agree with the popular opinion the Performance intake is 90% Sexy and 10% performance.

If the Assist-flow stream, better throttle response is there it would only be tested at speed. Maybe log throttle position/request vs MAF/ throttle fuel delivery to see if there is less time between the two with the performance intake vs the stock.

Anyone got a wind-tunnell dyno to use we could find out if it's 3hp or 0.03hp gained.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #51
YarkoDrives
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is 98FS, 128i, 335xi,

The intake is stamped "Cooper Car Company LTD" UK, with the "Cooper" Logo on the sticker.

Suppose I've got a "John Cooper Works 128i", didn't see that coming as I sold off all our mini's.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:13 PM   #52
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarkoDrives View Post
Just unpacked the BMW Performance Intake Parts.

The "third intake" looks to be an outlet to maintain airflow thru the box at speed, even when the throttle is closed.

the channel is the full width of the cover about 1/2" deep it starts halfway down the cover. It runs along the back half of the air box toward the strut tower. A sealed plastic cap completes the tunnels along the outer side of the strut tower. It terminates at 2 small holes each about the size of a nickel behind the strut tower, at the cowl weatherstrip.

I can't image these two small holes are serving any function as an intake. Though perhaps they may whistle is the throttle is pressed quickly, when the car is parked, as there would be no airflow thru the box due to forward movement.

At speed the cowl is a low pressure area, the low pressure will pull air through the air box. this is a good thing:

So image the throttle is closed going into a corner, the car is moving fast enough to create negative pressure on the cowl, so thru the tiny ports air is being sucked through the airbox. Cool Air is moving from the scoops thru the inlets, and over the air filter...
Now, coming out of the corner the throttle opens and takes cold air from the stream over the filter. So, effectively the intake length is shorter.

Consider the stock box:
assuming there's no similar pull-thru outlet on a stock box, once the throttle closes the air in the airbox is stale, just a little comes thru for idle. The air also absorbs some heat while stagnate. At speed when the throttle opens the closest cool air is at the scoops at the front of the car. It has to get all warm air in the box and inlet moving before that air is available.

There's also some fluid dynamics to having a side stream of air; it allows the additional air needed for the opening throttle slide along with the existing stream without creating turbulence. in the front of the intake.

In the stock system quickly opening the throttle creates turbulence in the inlets; that results in a less efficient delivery and a sucking sound.

All that said, I agree with the popular opinion the Performance intake is 90% Sexy and 10% performance.

If the Assist-flow stream, better throttle response is there it would only be tested at speed. Maybe log throttle position/request vs MAF/ throttle fuel delivery to see if there is less time between the two with the performance intake vs the stock.

Anyone got a wind-tunnell dyno to use we could find out if it's 3hp or 0.03hp gained.
Or it could be to direct a little intake noise towards the cabin to enhance its "sporty" nature.
      02-02-2019, 02:19 AM   #53
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I thought I would bring this thread back rather than start a new one. I just installed my Performance Intake last night and concur with the findings in this thread. Of course this is not a high performance modification. The quoted 3hp gain can be achieved simply by switching to a K&N filter which is very similar to the included filter. Still, I did not expect any noticeable gains and yet the engine did seem more responsive. It cannot be attributed to the new filter since I transferred my existing K&N to the new intake.

If there's one area where I'm disappointed it's the sound. I didn't expect major performance gains, but I did expect better sound based on what others have said. It does indeed make the N52 sound less like a sewing machine and gives it a slightly more aggressive throaty sound, but it won't blow you away. I was really hoping for something a little more aggressive, but not annoying like some short ram intakes.

Is it worth it? Of course not! It's obscene that this listed for $899 when it's nothing but some molded plastic and a carbon fiber cover. If the entire thing were molded from carbon fiber, then yes, it would be priced fairly. I found a dealer who ordered one from Germany for me at a more reasonable price. It's absolutely not worth it from a performance standpoint, but this is one of the last opportunities I'll have to pick up genuine M Performance parts so I pulled the trigger.
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      02-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #54
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I thought I would bring this thread back rather than start a new one. I just installed my Performance Intake last night and concur with the findings in this thread. Of course this is not a high performance modification. The quoted 3hp gain can be achieved simply by switching to a K&N filter which is very similar to the included filter. Still, I did not expect any noticeable gains and yet the engine did seem more responsive. It cannot be attributed to the new filter since I transferred my existing K&N to the new intake.

If there's one area where I'm disappointed it's the sound. I didn't expect major performance gains, but I did expect better sound based on what others have said. It does indeed make the N52 sound less like a sewing machine and gives it a slightly more aggressive throaty sound, but it won't blow you away. I was really hoping for something a little more aggressive, but not annoying like some short ram intakes.

Is it worth it? Of course not! It's obscene that this listed for $899 when it's nothing but some molded plastic and a carbon fiber cover. If the entire thing were molded from carbon fiber, then yes, it would be priced fairly. I found a dealer who ordered one from Germany for me at a more reasonable price. It's absolutely not worth it from a performance standpoint, but this is one of the last opportunities I'll have to pick up genuine M Performance parts so I pulled the trigger.
If you wouldn't mind - what did you pay for the intake at the end of the day? I agree the price is ridiculous....but I could be convinced if there was a deal to be had....PM me if you don't want to advertise that price...Thanks!
Appreciate 0