BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #397
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M Sport AW3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Here's my cluster now:
Attachment 1849727

It is a 135i cluster that came off a car with 89k miles. I think it was an '08, but I'm not sure, it was $99.

After tearing into it, I found that the EEPROM was the same model (080D0WQ) as was on my 128i's cluster. I then thought, heck, I'll just swap the EEPROMs around since they're the same model, they must communicate and work the same way. They did, and everything worked right off the bat; odometer, tacho, speedo, fuel, but the oil temp needle was indicating the instant MPG.

I then delved into Google, and found a few E90 threads about people wanting to change the MPG gauge into an oil temp gauge. I followed the coding instructions, using Tool32, and ended up with a successful code, and it was all done.

Here's a link to a Google Doc I was typing up for my DIY (which I pretty much just wrote here): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
That's interesting that the 135i cluster acted that way with the oil temp gauge. I installed a 1M cluster into my 128i and everything works as it should, I was lazy and did not do eeprom so I have tamper dot lol
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #398
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30ROB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Here's my cluster now:
Attachment 1849727

It is a 135i cluster that came off a car with 89k miles. I think it was an '08, but I'm not sure, it was $99.

After tearing into it, I found that the EEPROM was the same model (080D0WQ) as was on my 128i's cluster. I then thought, heck, I'll just swap the EEPROMs around since they're the same model, they must communicate and work the same way. They did, and everything worked right off the bat; odometer, tacho, speedo, fuel, but the oil temp needle was indicating the instant MPG.

I then delved into Google, and found a few E90 threads about people wanting to change the MPG gauge into an oil temp gauge. I followed the coding instructions, using Tool32, and ended up with a successful code, and it was all done.

Here's a link to a Google Doc I was typing up for my DIY (which I pretty much just wrote here): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
That's interesting that the 135i cluster acted that way with the oil temp gauge. I installed a 1M cluster into my 128i and everything works as it should, I was lazy and did not do eeprom so I have tamper dot lol
I swappes the 128i EEPROM which must've been programmed for the instant MPG guage from the factory when there's an additional dial present.
      01-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #399
lotusexiges
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 exige s

Did you ever code your car to eliminate the Ediff interference and if so, did it work?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #400
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Wow, almost 2 years since I've updated this thread! Been busy with other things, but the 1er is still my daily driver. Just realized I'm coming up on 10 years (!) of ownership next week, and I'm still not shopping for another car (well, at least not a replacement, lol). Just crossed 60,000 miles on the odometer a few weeks back.

Anyone want to catch me up to speed on the latest in N52-land? I know Active Autowerke was a fairly popular option for headers and a tune a couple of years ago, and of course the 3-stage intake manifold was around before that. I know Bimmer Performance Center was starting to get popular with tuning, but I gather that Bob has branched off and started his own thing (Stage FP). I vaguely remember hearing about the MILV mod, and it looks like that took off a little bit. Anything else new?

Speaking of MILVs, I'm considering taking the plunge if/when CobraMarty gets them back in stock. I gather I will need a new tune - is Stage FP the only option here? And does anyone have any feedback on if this is worth it? I'm kind of itching for an upgrade, and the MILVs seem like they could be a nice addition, on top of everything I've already done to the car. At $350, they're not too bad, although I guess I also need to factor in the cost of a new tune (who knows, maybe I'll get less idle hunting than with the AA tune?). I think the thing that makes me hesitate the most about the MILVs is removing the GD valve cover again...I wish I had known about these things when I did the VCG 2-3 years ago, as I was probably >90% of the way there, labor-wise.

Anyway, happy to hear any thoughts on the issue.
      04-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #401
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

You’re alive! Glad you’re still enjoying the 1er! MILVs are still the latest and greatest and some folks are messing around with N54 manifolds. They seem to provide better top end results and it might be worthwhile given your diff ratio.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #402
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Ehhh removing the valve cover is only part of the battle. I did the MILV job without any special tools (BEFORE Marty got the Valvetronic spring tool) and it took a good while. The washer trick (described in the kit) wasn't working for me so I pulled the legs of the Valvetronic springs back, removed the intermediate rocker, then swapped the MILV in and put it back together. Those springs are strong!

Stage FP is currently the top for tunes - I think the only "official" tune that supports MILVS. I have a MAF-delete (Euro IAT) tune from Bimmerlabs but they're really busy and a bit more experimental/DIY (my cruise control doesn't work). Car runs great, no idle hunting.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #403
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Ehhh removing the valve cover is only part of the battle. I did the MILV job without any special tools (BEFORE Marty got the Valvetronic spring tool) and it took a good while. The washer trick (described in the kit) wasn't working for me so I pulled the legs of the Valvetronic springs back, removed the intermediate rocker, then swapped the MILV in and put it back together. Those springs are strong!
Yeah, I saw he offered the tool, which you can return after use, essentially making it a $75 rental. I would probably go that route, as I find using the right tool for a job can save a lot of frustration. I'd welcome anything that would make the job a little easier, especially after wrestling with the valve cover.

So, how do you like the MILVs now that you've lived with them a while? Is it worth doing? Would have been a no-brainer while changing the VCG...
      04-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #404
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

The tool makes everything so much easier. Milvs are a must. They do for your lower - mid range performance as much as headers do for the upper rpms.

I could immediately tell a difference.

This car with all the bolt-ons and the 3:73 rear diff is a blast to drive.

I've got the same exhaust as you I believe....AA catless headers, stock secondaries, Magnaflow resonator and catback.

Perfect sound in my opinion.
      04-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #405
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Also....I have Bob's tune through every mod. Never had the first issue. Car runs smooth as silk all the way to around 6800 rpm. After that. You feel the slight drop off because of the intake.

The N54 intake would carry you to 7K RPM or better, but it trades off a little low end power from graphs I have seen.

For what it is, the little car screams! So I'm happy with where I'm at.
      04-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #406
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
The tool makes everything so much easier. Milvs are a must. They do for your lower - mid range performance as much as headers do for the upper rpms.

I could immediately tell a difference.

This car with all the bolt-ons and the 3:73 rear diff is a blast to drive.

I've got the same exhaust as you I believe....AA catless headers, stock secondaries, Magnaflow resonator and catback.

Perfect sound in my opinion.
I've got the 3.73 rear end as well. So awesome. It looks like the MILVS are really the only thing left on the table (well, plus the accompanying tune).
      04-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #407
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a MAF-delete (Euro IAT) tune from Bimmerlabs but they're really busy and a bit more experimental/DIY (my cruise control doesn't work). Car runs great, no idle hunting.
Incidentally, how are you running a MAF-delete with headers? I thought since the header tune bypassed the O2 sensor you needed the MAF, or else your fuel tables would get jacked up?
      04-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #408
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Yeah, I saw he offered the tool, which you can return after use, essentially making it a $75 rental. I would probably go that route, as I find using the right tool for a job can save a lot of frustration. I'd welcome anything that would make the job a little easier, especially after wrestling with the valve cover.

So, how do you like the MILVs now that you've lived with them a while? Is it worth doing? Would have been a no-brainer while changing the VCG...
Quote:
Incidentally, how are you running a MAF-delete with headers? I thought since the header tune bypassed the O2 sensor you needed the MAF, or else your fuel tables would get jacked up?

MILVS are great! Little hard to tell you EXACTLY how they feel, since I did a few upgrades at once (got my tune to account for both headers and MILVS at the same time). But it's like adding 10% to your gas pedal, and getting the extra power that comes with "pushing it down further". Definitely worth it.

The tune I have doesn't bypass the O2's - the opposite really. Like I said in Europe a handful of years/trims for E90 got an N52 tune/setup that doesn't even have a MAF. It uses the primary wideband O2s for a closed, fast feedback loop to monitor AFR, and adjusts its fuel trims based on how close it is to the target AFR at a particular engine load.

To account for headers, Hassmachine (BimmerLabs) looked at the O2 sensor data differences between the US and Euro E46 M3s (see: their exhaust header differences and their ECUs are similar in design) and extrapolated/interpolated values to work for the N52 header upgrades. The ECUs actually have an adaptation for O2 sensor distance/placement. We watched the fuel trims for a bit and were happy with how close it stuck to the target values. Then the header codes were told not to send a SES light to the cluster

Sadly this has the effect of breaking cruise control. No one really knows why and no one feels like digging into it . My guess is there's something inside the DME tune that talks to the DSC unit, identifying itself, and they're not 100% on the same page. I get a DSC code that talks about a DSC-DME CAN communication error (5E18) but no leads on the fix. ABS/traction/DSC works perfectly fine otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #409
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Stage FP is currently the top for tunes - I think the only "official" tune that supports MILVS. I have a MAF-delete (Euro IAT) tune from Bimmerlabs but they're really busy and a bit more experimental/DIY (my cruise control doesn't work). Car runs great, no idle hunting.
Not debating top tunes, but AA now has a MILVS tune, just have to ask. I did before/after tune tests at a dyno and saw ~6hp gain, so it's doing something, though no idea how comparable it is to StageFP.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      04-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #410
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Just re-read your whole thread. Makes me want to pick up another e82 so bad.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #411
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
Just re-read your whole thread. Makes me want to pick up another e82 so bad.
Hahaha...that's commitment!
      04-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #412
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Not debating top tunes, but AA now has a MILVS tune, just have to ask. I did before/after tune tests at a dyno and saw ~6hp gain, so it's doing something, though no idea how comparable it is to StageFP.
Interesting... I might have to contact them. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #413
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did a thing....(don't worry, I still have the 1er):
Attached Images

Rmtt8206.00
      05-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #414
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Very nice!
      05-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #415
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Quote:
Very nice!
Thanks! I've admired these cars for a long time, especially this color combo (dark green with tan leather interior and tan top). And I sold some other toys, so of course I had an itch to scratch. I was originally looking at Porsche 914s and MB R107 and R129 SLs (I know, all very different) but it's a lot of money to get something nice, and not just up front. Then I found this 2003 MR2 with 40K miles on it and couldn't say no. Running costs are dirt cheap, mods aren't too bad, it's totally autocross-able, and I've never owned a 'vert or a mid-engine car. Plus I'm moving to San Diego next month, so it's gonna be perfect. Stoked!
      06-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #416
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I've had my 1er for a little over 10 years, and it's got a little over 60K miles on it, so it was time for some maintenance. Nothing sexy, but a lot of TLC this weekend: oil change, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, new cabin air filter, and power steering fluid drain and fill with replacement of reservoir/filter.

I've said it before, but one of the things I like about working on the car, even doing routine maintenance like this, is the opportunity to get up and close with the car, and lay eyes on things I haven't looked at in a while, and maybe catch something small before it becomes a big problem. I thought I'd mention a few things I found, just for posterity and to compare notes with some of you:

(1) Noticed some crud collecting on the resonator. A closer look revealed that the forward part of the rear differential was damp, and there was fluid splattered on both differential mounts, and up onto the chassis above the drive shaft. It looked (and smelled!) like gear oi, and the only logical explanation is a pinion seal leak. This is kind of a bummer, since my LSD is only about 4.5 years old. I've been in touch with my diff builder and he agrees with my diagnosis, and it sounds like he is going to work with me on a solution. There haven't been any strange sounds or anything from the rear end, and I topped off the diff with some fresh Red Line 80W-140 (it took about 4 or 5 pumps).

(2) I noticed some oil splatter on the right rear portion of the splash shield, and found some more on the transmission bell housing. A closer leak revealed a damp oil pan on the rear, especially the right side. I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with an oil pan gasket leak. I think it's pretty minor, since I'm not losing an appreciable volume of oil between changes, but it's annoying nonetheless - this is not a small job.

(3) Coolant level was low, a little bit below the MIN mark. Last coolant flush was two years ago, at which time a leak was discovered where the water pipe joins the engine block. The water pipe was replaced, and this time, no visible leak was found. No oil in the coolant or vice versa, so I'm not sure where it's going. Gonna keep my eye on this one, and scan the ECU for any stored codes in the meantime (I suspect there will be a "low coolant volume" code, at least).

(4) Power steering fluid was also a little low, a few millimeters below the MIN mark. No obvious leak or issues from behind the wheel. I've never topped off the reservoir before, so maybe this is normal after 10 years?
      06-08-2020, 09:00 PM   #417
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Do you have graphs? Is it 6hp peak?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #418
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
Quote:
Interested as well. I have milvs in a box and the aa tune ready to install soon
Appreciate 0