BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #23
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

My software update took nearly 24 hours. Also I believe the engine was running during this period of time, because the fuel gauge was down.

Anyway, with the computer grinding away over this period time, what in the Hell was going on? This is an awful expensive fix for BMW to pay for if it doesn't do anything?

I don't see how the PPK, tune upgrade, would solve the problem. If it did, then BMW should give it to us free as the fix!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
My software update took nearly 24 hours. Also I believe the engine was running during this period of time, because the fuel gauge was down.

Anyway, with the computer grinding away over this period time, what in the Hell was going on? This is an awful expensive fix for BMW to pay for if it doesn't do anything?

I don't see how the PPK, tune upgrade, would solve the problem. If it did, then BMW should give it to us free as the fix!
Are you kidding!?! They charge for everything. They are still charging $1500 for the PPK, even though my service rep didn't know anything about it. It seems everything she knows about the 135 is what I tell her. She, and another service rep I talked to, had no idea there was a problem like this, or that SIB 12-14-15 would fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #25
alias747
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
Are you kidding!?! They charge for everything. They are still charging $1500 for the PPK, even though my service rep didn't know anything about it. It seems everything she knows about the 135 is what I tell her. She, and another service rep I talked to, had no idea there was a problem like this, or that SIB 12-14-15 would fix it.
Really?? I can get the PPK installed at my dealer for $700 and some change. Sounds like they are taking you for a ride... I still think $700 is too expensive for a few HP. However, if it certainly does fix the throttle issue then is is worth the price all day. However, I have no way of knowing it will fix it and there are no "returns".

Same thing with my SA. He's a nice guy but they never gets 1 series cars at their shop and never have any other cars with DCT either. So they are pretty much guessing at everything. That's why I love forums, it gets down to the real story when before you only got the smoke that was blown up your butt at the dealer.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #26
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Well my car is still running fine. I had it out today for a long run, and the car is blazingly fast. In fact, faster than when I first got it.

Someone mentioned the PPK tune solved the problem for them. I'm wondering if BMW solved the issues by simply giving the engine a hotter tune? Whatever the hell they did, I really recommend it.

I'll have to ask the tech next time I'm there just what the prescription was!
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #27
wiscogirl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias747 View Post
Really?? I can get the PPK installed at my dealer for $700 and some change. Sounds like they are taking you for a ride... I still think $700 is too expensive for a few HP. However, if it certainly does fix the throttle issue then is is worth the price all day. However, I have no way of knowing it will fix it and there are no "returns".

Same thing with my SA. He's a nice guy but they never gets 1 series cars at their shop and never have any other cars with DCT either. So they are pretty much guessing at everything. That's why I love forums, it gets down to the real story when before you only got the smoke that was blown up your butt at the dealer.
It's refreshing to know it's not just my SA. I just picked up a 2013 135i about a month ago and was having the DCT stalling and lagging issues and scheduled it to go in, prepared with the SIB 12-15-14 information, etc. You should try walking into a dealership as a woman in heels and talking about this. My SA actually argued with me that my car has the Auto Start/Stop as his explanation to the stalling...nice try genius. Needless to say I corrected him swiftly (which he didn't like), shared the SIB info, and then it started to sink in that I'm not an idiot! I'm pretty sure they don't see many 1's in my dealership!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #28
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscogirl View Post
It's refreshing to know it's not just my SA. I just picked up a 2013 135i about a month ago and was having the DCT stalling and lagging issues and scheduled it to go in, prepared with the SIB 12-15-14 information, etc. You should try walking into a dealership as a woman in heels and talking about this. My SA actually argued with me that my car has the Auto Start/Stop as his explanation to the stalling...nice try genius. Needless to say I corrected him swiftly (which he didn't like), shared the SIB info, and then it started to sink in that I'm not an idiot! I'm pretty sure they don't see many 1's in my dealership!
Sounds to me like the SA is the idiot. I'd say try to find a SA at the dealer who is not a misogynist and that will treat you with respect, like all car owners coming in for service deserve. My daughter had to go through that until she finally found one she liked.

Last edited by Esteban; 06-09-2016 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #29
Cars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi MGM

If anyone can do their own coding or can find someone to do it for them, you should try a shot at the INPA software. All last year my car was plagued with this dreaded issue. Last month my buddy did some coding on my car, and just for the hell of it, reset both IDLE FLUCTUATION and THROTTLE ADAPTATION. I've heard in the past that resetting throttle adaptation by the book (putting pedal to floor, etc) will help with the issues for a short period of time before returning, but this was never the case for me. I really think resetting the idle fluctuation through the software might have been the ticket because I haven't had a single problem with the dct since and I drive it with the a/c on every day. If someone else could verify this for me, this could either be the solution, or me just getting lucky. Hopefully the former. Hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #30
Obagam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport

135i N55

Hello everyone. Totally new to this space. I wound up picking up a used 2012 135i N55 M Sport for a very nice price. I plan to use it for tracking purposes once I’m done with the warranty. Surprisingly I noticed I had the stalling with AC on issue and laggy acceleration in stop and go California traffic. 7 years old and it still had this problem...crazy. I don’t know how the previous owners suffered through it. I wound up taking it to a stealership and they told me I needed a software update to fix the issues. They needed it to stay overnight to complete the installs. I picked it up today and it runs PERFECT. It’s like a completely different car. It literally reads my mind when it’s in full auto and it seems way more powerful. The upsetting part is thinking I probably could have saved myself a ton of brake and tire wear if this wasn’t an issue to begin with. This needs to be fully addressed by BMW if it hasn’t been already. My car is under an extended warranty and software update was not covered and I wound up paying $215 for the fix. BMW I demand my money, time, brakes and tires back for this silly inconvenience. It seems to be a common headache with this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #31
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagam View Post
Hello everyone. Totally new to this space. I wound up picking up a used 2012 135i N55 M Sport for a very nice price. I plan to use it for tracking purposes once I’m done with the warranty. Surprisingly I noticed I had the stalling with AC on issue and laggy acceleration in stop and go California traffic. 7 years old and it still had this problem...crazy. I don’t know how the previous owners suffered through it. I wound up taking it to a stealership and they told me I needed a software update to fix the issues. They needed it to stay overnight to complete the installs. I picked it up today and it runs PERFECT. It’s like a completely different car. It literally reads my mind when it’s in full auto and it seems way more powerful. The upsetting part is thinking I probably could have saved myself a ton of brake and tire wear if this wasn’t an issue to begin with. This needs to be fully addressed by BMW if it hasn’t been already. My car is under an extended warranty and software update was not covered and I wound up paying $215 for the fix. BMW I demand my money, time, brakes and tires back for this silly inconvenience. It seems to be a common headache with this car.

Hey, Welcome!

Might be nice if you could log your experience and maybe provide some additional info on what the dealership claimed they did (via the ticket or receipt) for the forums record.

The following are a couple threads in the drivetrain section that have been stickied:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1402323
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1251909

It's been a long debated topic so it's nice to hear your issue was resolved, it doesn't seem like the fix works for everyone though.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #32
Obagam
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Hey, Welcome!

Might be nice if you could log your experience and maybe provide some additional info on what the dealership claimed they did (via the ticket or receipt) for the forums record.

The following are a couple threads in the drivetrain section that have been stickied:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1402323
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1251909

It's been a long debated topic so it's nice to hear your issue was resolved, it doesn't seem like the fix works for everyone though.

Not a problem! And thank you! The ticket said a software update and adaptations reset was completed. I tried some of the methods mentioned in the forum by DIY software update and resetting but it didn’t work so I bit the bullet and took it to the BMW dealership in South Bay (Torrance, CA). Other issues they found were two leaks - one from my oil filter housing and one from the dct mechatronics which will be addressed at a different approved repair shop. I know for a fact those leaks weren’t a cause of the issue since the stalling and jerky acceleration was completely fixed after the update and reset.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #33
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Does it specify what software update it was?

Most people have seen SIB 12-15-14.
Others swear that the adaption reset is what really solves the problem. It seems like dealers always do both, If I had to guess, the Software update instructions probably requires them to also do an adaptation reset.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #34
Obagam
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Does it specify what software update it was?

Most people have seen SIB 12-15-14.
Others swear that the adaption reset is what really solves the problem. It seems like dealers always do both, If I had to guess, the Software update instructions probably requires them to also do an adaptation reset.

I checked everywhere and I couldn’t find that listed anywhere. It just stated what my problem was with the car and their solution to fix it.

I originally stated that the car was lurching dangerously forward when the ac was turned on. I didn’t even mention the hesitation in stop and go traffic and that was also fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #35
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Old thread but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias747 View Post
Yep, same here. I'm seriously thinking about shelling out the cash to get the PPK. Did you try that? Seems the results most people say help fix it most of the way. But there are others that say it didn't do much of anything.

How can there be such a large amount of people with the same issue and BMW doesn't even act like it's an issue? How do they release a software upgrade specifically for the problem and it doesn't actually fix it?

:mega frustrated:
Getting PPK does fix it but allowing BMW to flash an update after you get the PPK will ruin it. Beware.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #36
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
Getting PPK does fix it but allowing BMW to flash an update after you get the PPK will ruin it. Beware.
Some would argue that the fix isn't really the PPK, but the fact that the car resets adaptations when you do the flash.

I tend to agree that resetting adaptions is most likely the real "solution", in quotes because it's only temporary and will have to be done again at some point to refresh back to that smoothness we all seek.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #37
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Talking Life is Wonderful!

I was having coffee with Mr Rooty Von Tooty the other day, and I asked him how the fix the dealer did to his ride worked out. You might recall the fix was a software update to deal with the car's bad behavior like stalling, lurching, unable to maintain an idle, etc. He said his car's performance has remained great without any problems.

So there is a solution to all things in this world, even BMW maladies!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #38
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
Some would argue that the fix isn't really the PPK, but the fact that the car resets adaptations when you do the flash.

I tend to agree that resetting adaptions is most likely the real "solution", in quotes because it's only temporary and will have to be done again at some point to refresh back to that smoothness we all seek.
In my case the PPK fixed it. 25k miles or so & still going strong.
      06-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #39
adrianconst76
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55

I know this is an old thread but I want to share my latest experience with my software update in case it helps somebody in a similar situation.

I bought my car used at 30k miles about 2 years ago. Didn't know its history. At first I experienced only the occasional stalling when trying to accelerate from a rolling stop. Later I started to see jerkiness when stopping, mostly when the AC was on. Recently I also noticed the oscillation in rpm when coming to a full stop with AC on. The oscialltion in rpm didn't cause an obvious engine sound, so I don't know when that started. Maybe it was there since I bought the car.

As many probably know, there is an SIB on the rpm oscillation 12-15-14. This SIB says to install integration level E89X-14-07-501. There is a revision of this SIB that says to do DME adaptions reset. It's very clear about it.

I took my car to the local BMW shop today and I asked for a software update, at least E89X-14-07-501. $170 later they tell me they installed E89X-18-07-520 and that my integration level before the update was one from 2015, post E89X-14-07-501. That puzzled me, especially that after the update I don't get the rpm oscillation anymore. That was a very constant symptom before the update.

The people at the front desk were not very knowledgeable and didn't let me to talk to the mechanic. They couldn't even tell me if the DME adaptations got reset.

So, there are 2 possibilities.

1. I had the version they said (before the update today), so that version doesn't fix anything. In this case the adaptations reset makes the difference. That's bad because it means there is no real solution from BMW.

2. The version I had before the update was actually prior to the version from the SIB which means there is a software update that may fix the problem but the guys from the BMW shop have no clue what they're talking about. That's also bad because this is the only BMW shop in my area.
Appreciate 0