BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #23
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Congrats, looks great
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmicj View Post
Thanks for posting the followup. Now I've got to start saving up for one. Love the way it looks in the engine bay too. Nice.
I finally installed this intake over the weekend and I must say, the difference in throttle response and torque delivery is actually quite noticeable.

There's not a significant power boost, but what I feel is that the power that is already there, seems to be "free" and delivered a lot more smoothly. I'm really happy with this mod.

Kudos to BMW for actually making aftermarket performance products.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #25
Last NA 6
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I had the BMW Performance intake and short shift kit installed yesterday. Here are my impressions after a day and about 100 miles.

Overall, the car is a lot snappier, for lack of a better word. Throttle response is quicker and easier, shifts where the revs don't match just right aren't as jerky. It does have more power, but not much, and it doesn't seem to show until you're above 3500 rpm or so. It seems that it likes more rpm than it used to also, and I'm shifting 500 to 1000 rpm higher than before simply because the engine seems to naturally like that speed now. Speeding through turns you definitely notice a difference.

It has made the exhaust a little deeper and high rpm's more refined sounding, I guess. But really all that's done is make me want a better exhaust system even more. You can hear the intake itself with the windows down in first and second gear, but after that there's too much wind noise. Its sort of like background engine noise, and is not intruding at all.

Was it worth it? If you're on a budget probably not. I'm personally happy with it, but keeping my warranty was more important than a few extra hp. Its also very professional looking, as opposed to some others that look like something strapped onto a Honda Civic. The car drives much better with it installed even if it doesn't make much more power. I think this coupled with a good exhaust will make me happy.

The short shifter is awesome, everyone with a 6 speed should buy it. I always felt the engine was faster than the gearbox, but now its perfect. Pictures are below; apparently there was a squirrel or something that invaded my airbox...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #26
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

If mine is close to what it looks like in the last picture, I really need to clean mine this weekend, I can't sleep if I leave it like that.
      05-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #27
Last NA 6
Rep

It was insulation and pieces of leaves. The leaves I understand, just from driving. But the insulation, my garage is pretty tight and I'm surprised a rodent could get into the garage let alone through the small opening on the old intake. With that stuff in there though I'm sure it wasn't helping the power.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #28
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
LOL, love the stuff in your airbox. Enjoy the new intake man! If it's anything like the Injen CAI, you'll definitely continue to love it. Power delivery is felt most in 3rd gear i find
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #29
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Hey there is a benefit of that crap. 230 horses + 1 chipmunk. I won't upgrade to PS Intake, chipmunk power is better!
      06-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #30
comics69
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

are you sure bmw perf intake increases power from 4 to 8 hp?? because i have not noticed any difference with and without, contrary to a simota intake which is much better!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

You gotta get the perf exhaust. In combination with the intake you will be even more satisfied with the sound and acceleration!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #32
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

I'd imagine installation is rather easy and plug and play, like the stock intake system???
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #33
Last NA 6
Rep

Performance exhaust is going on Friday!

I had the dealer install the intake since it was in there for some other work, including the shift kit. The shift kit required them to drop the transmission, since apparently there is no way to get at the top of the transmission without lowering it, so that was not something I wanted to attempt myself. After looking at the intake installation, I would have had to buy a couple of tools but could have done it within probably a few hours. It just bolts on to where the old one was. There are no sensors that far from the manifold, the only one is on the big tube that comes out of the bottom of the airbox, so you don't need to worry about getting those right.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #34
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I have this intake as well. It looks great.

But... I have two pieces from the kit that I could not find a place to install. They were smaller plastic bits. Can anyone explain where they go, or pm me with a PDF of how to install the intake? Also, what about the filter looking thing near the mass airflow sensor? I left that alone.

The intake seems to be working fine without the extra parts, but I'd still like to know where they go.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
Sdracing
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

The fit and finish of the intake looks great! In the video you can hear the difference inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #36
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
I have this intake as well. It looks great.

But... I have two pieces from the kit that I could not find a place to install. They were smaller plastic bits. Can anyone explain where they go, or pm me with a PDF of how to install the intake? Also, what about the filter looking thing near the mass airflow sensor? I left that alone.

The intake seems to be working fine without the extra parts, but I'd still like to know where they go.
Hey, I had the same issue. Those two pieces (one rubber, one hard plastic) go in the upper right corner near the intake's exit/mouth area. You have to remove the stock rubber rain guard and replace it. Search for a few of my posts about this, a member posted the PDF for the intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #37
Frack
Euro Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM e46 M

Garage List
did anybody try to carbon fiber film the upper section of intake filter housing so it matches carbon intake channel?? if so, which film is the closest color, pattern match??
      02-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #38
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaVinci View Post
did anybody try to carbon fiber film the upper section of intake filter housing so it matches carbon intake channel?? if so, which film is the closest color, pattern match??

Funny you ask; I just saw this two days ago:
http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=7867

Looks pretty good, but doesn't match well enough to be worth the effort, IMO. Plus I don't really like the idea of faking carbon fiber, just on principle.

I do think BMW should have made both covers CF, but God knows how much the thing would cost then.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #39
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Did this install about a week ago. Overall pretty straightforward and DIY'able with hand tools (metric sockets, torx drivers, and a flathead). One thing is that the instructions seem to be omitting a couple of steps - you do have to remove the entire airbox, which necessitates removing the downstream hose that leads to the engine plus the attached MAF. No big deal.

Fit and finish is great - the carbon fiber sure is purdy. Driving impressions? Unfortunately, not much difference that I can tell. I feel like the engine note is enhanced at higher RPMs (4,000+), like the engine sounds even more mechanical turbine-y or something. Of course, you're also dealing with higher wind and road noise at those speeds.

My main reason for getting this is that I'm also fitting the BMW Perfomance exhaust soon (just came in the mail today!) and I sort of feel like the two pieces should work well in harmony. Obviously I'm not talking huge gains, but I think performance and aural gains should be better than with either part alone.

Is this thing worth $700? Honestly, I don't know. I haven't driven my car very hard in the last week. I sort of feel like it's more responsive and slightly growlier, but that could totally be the placebo effect.

I'd say if you have the money and you don't mind spending it, sure, go for it. But if you're pinching pennies and saving up for mods, your money is probably better spent on the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #40
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

Pleased with this Performance Intake

I know I am VERY late to the party on this, but I just had the Performance Intake installed this week.

It has definitely given my 6MT Sport the extra little pep it needed to feel right on the money. Had I ordered the car without a 35 lb sunroof I feel like it probably would have already been spot on.

The car doesn't seem noticeably faster, but it seems to have lost some vague sense of sluggishness that it had before. Taking off seems easier and the car definitely cruises more freely.

It looks nice under the hood and although not cheap, it seems fair game price-wise for this low cost Bimmer while keeping it covered under warranty.

I would go for the Performance exhaust too but I already like the stock exhaust caps...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #41
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Add the Performance Exhaust and you won't regret the combo!
      12-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Add the Performance Exhaust and you won't regret the combo!
+1

Did this combo on the car and wow. Not to mention the sound combined from both of them

Well worth it I say
      12-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #43
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
whats the cheapest place to get a performance intake from? also anyone has any experience with these: aFe Intake Stage 2 Si 51-81012-C - looks neat and apparently fits our cars..
      12-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #44
hongi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' 128i Alpine white

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.bmw View Post
whats the cheapest place to get a performance intake from? also anyone has any experience with these: aFe Intake Stage 2 Si 51-81012-C - looks neat and apparently fits our cars..
I would like to know about the new AFE intake too. I don't know whether BMW or AFE one is better. Any suggestion?
Appreciate 0