BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
tm30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what does this do to your warranty? One could argue you're making a significant structural change to the car by permananently eliminating 70lbs and certainly altering the weight distribution that these cars are designed around. Weight distribution was important enough for BMW to locate the battery underneath the trunk compartment, I would be concerned that they'll look at this and say, "you have an entirely different car than what BMW built for you, therefore, the warranty is void."
      11-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #24
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I'll still build something to close off the trunk but actually my emphasis will be blocking flying trunk debris (my donut) in case of an accident.
Not to rain on your parade, but that plywood is not going to stop that spare tire from shooting into the front of the car in the event of a front end collision.
Other than that oversight...this is an interesting idea for the weight conscious.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #25
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

wow.

I'm really surprised at how anti-mod some people are on this forum. he shaved 60lbs, and it's not like he has bare metal exposed. especialy for a mod as common as this is.

I'm sure he's storing the seats in a safe place, and when he re-installs them when he's ready to get rid of the car, they will look pristine with no sun or wear and tear damage. so if anything, he's keeping the seats nicer.

finally...his setup is now ready for a roll cage!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
It's is funny huh Xyloft, but it is interesting to see how many hate this mod that I love. Of course if you bought your One to have a sporty car with a backseat then this mod is not for you. My second choice to the One was a Cayman, I'm accustomed to driving two seaters. I chose the One because I can make it much faster and I've had a daily driver Porsche before and knew I couldn't afford another.

I leather treated my seats, wrapped them in a sheet, and then boxed them up and put them in storage. The few that might need to ride briefly in the rear of my car probably won't be bothered riding in it as is. Plus passengers make my tires rub..lol.

TP135i, I didn't even use plywood, it's even thinner, and only barely held with two wood type screws (ie not bolts with nuts and washers). I did say I wanted to build something for safety but this was much easier. It should stop or at least slow my jack and tools in an accident. I'm planning to figure out a better way to secure my donut if I still with this current panel. I need to keep the panel quick to remove in case I'm hauling something too long for the trunk.

Tm30, my dealer has already documented my mods. They'll probably just laugh at this mod but it wont effect my already strained warranty. BMW advertises batteries in the back for weight balance, etc but I'm sure the batteries are put in the back largely because they don't have room in the engine compartment.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
wow...this is pointless, why destroy the car like that?
Reading comprehension fail. He didn't destroy anything. I'd say its a great mod for a certain kind of driver. I would never keep anything in the trunk, like a tire, but beyond that, its pretty much win.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

60lbs is A LOT of weight off a car...With lightweight wheels (which he has), he probably shed close to 100lbs, if not more.

His TE's are probably 18-19lbs each, vs. the stock 25lbs (if im not mistaken), plus non RFT tires(if he has em)+60lbs seats...Thats a significant reduction.

Good job bro!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
MadDad exhaust dropped a lot of weight too, probably 25lbs. The stock muffler is very heavy. Unfortunately I am soon adding an 8lb heavier FMIC (ETS) and a cf lip, and that's all front weight..lol.

Yes I do have non RFT's and have researched my next set. It appears the General Exclaim UHP's are the lightest by a few lbs in my sizes.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #30
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I don't hate this, but I don't understand it.

Why buy a car that's as compromised as this one is if you don't have any need at all for the backseat?

Also, why pay for the level of fit and finish of a BMW if you're just going to remove so much of it? I don't think you've ruined the car or anything, but it certainly takes away from the interior of the vehicle.

Why not just buy a more focused sports car? You could go a lot faster for the same money if you're not worried about what the interior looks like or a back seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Some people eat their scrambled eggs with ketchup. I'll never understand it. Just like I'll never understand people who buy any beautiful street car and ugly it/bastardize it up with all kinds of ridiculous modifications. But the great thing about living in a free country is that you can remove the back seat of your indulgent $50k twin turbo motorcar whilst being misunderstood by the masses if you so choose to.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #32
SPEZNAS92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
If only some of these people were on other boards or saw other modifications to e46, e36, etc crowd. Great job on the weight savings! Looks like turned out good, now throw a cage in there!
+1 and I come from the e46 crowd and have supercharged e36 m3's.

Weight reduction is key element if your going to see track use. The theory is that for every 100 lbs removed .1 or a 10th of a second is shaved off your acceleration time and this does not account for the added benefit of removing reciprocating weight such as adding lighter wheels.

A mod like this will also allows a roll bar to be tied into the rear shock mounts creating a higher level of rigidity in the car, if properly done.

In the end there is a purpose to these types of modifications

and well done!
E92 BMW 335i
E82 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #33
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
I can see doing this for the track, but wouldn't do it for the street myself. The coupe's folding seat must be much heavier than the vert's fixed back seat because I've removed mine a couple of times to install the smarttop and it's nowhere near 60 pounds.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #34
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
BlackJack, the seats are probably the same and we are both mis-estimating.

Jeremyc74, I think you underestimate the performance value of a modified 135. About the only thing that beats it is a Vette. I've had a Vette and they are just plain fast but really not in a fun, tossable way. Plus I like the sleeper quality of the 135. Further, the back of my car can still very much be used for carrying passengers. Strange enough I've had many people lay in the back of 240Z's and Vettes that I had in the past, even hauled someone a short distance in the trunk of my 968. The main thing I lost is I can't quickly fold down the rear and have that longer storage area.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #35
tranzlucent
where did I park my car last night?
Rep
Drives: 2 x M3s: an E92 and a Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
If only some of these people were on other boards or saw other modifications to e46, e36, etc crowd. Great job on the weight savings! Looks like turned out good, now throw a cage in there!
totally agree. one of the first things I did to my e36 m3 was to lose the backseat and spare tire. Taking out 100 lbs (60lbs for rear seat, 40 for wheel and tire) makes an instant butt dyno improvement.

Also, keep in mind, there are cars which cost more for taking weight saving measures like back seat removal (i.e. Porsche GT3)

I wonder, could a harness bar be fit back there without marring the paint at all? Can't remember how those attach. Would finish off the backseat area nicely to put in a bar and a harness.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #36
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Hey is looks like somebody just stole your back seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
Have you considered removing the paint and taling it down to bare metal? You can also remove the floor mats, visors, passenger seat, trim pieces, glove box, headliner, grab handles and most importantly, hire a 110 pound jockey to do the driving. You may also want to drain several Qts of oil, some antifreeze, and keep the gas at the 1/8 mark.
^ This just about summed it up!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:40 AM   #37
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Hey BTW, might want to get rid of the spare now, because IF you get rear-ended, that spare tire will join you up front in a big way!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #38
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Great work eyeman. Don't worry about haters. We all have different agendas for our cars. I think we should get cf covering made. Would look cool and weigh next to nothing. I would be in on that if anyone ever makes one!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #39
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

his contribution to 1addicts,
always nice to see people trying out new mods to their car
I had the deleted back seat on my rsx, hated riding friends home lol
i also deleted passenger seat whenever i went track... so ghetto
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #40
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
some people act like this the most horrific thing done to a 1er but this type of mod is so common in other platforms

i would just find a better way to secure the spare for safety reason, other than that. this is a great mod!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #41
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Dude I just wanna say this.

You buy a 3.0L twin turbo bmw, yet value fuel efficiency?

nice......
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #42
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

nice mod, ignore the 'haters'. keep it up, might end up doing this myself sometime down the road....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #43
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jb 135i

lunacy

I love how this mod separates the "lions" from the "sheep".Weight is always the enemy! I thought this site was devoted to people who wanna get the most out of their 1er.If you don't wanna carry people in the back seat,then that's yer rite!I had a rear seat delete in my last car.I say make it racey!Stick a cage in their too!

question for OP:
Do you think removal is easily reversed?In my Mini it was fairly simple.
ps
If there is anything this car needs,it is LESS WEIGHT!

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #44
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RäDIOCLäSH View Post
I love how this mod separates the "lions" from the "sheep".

People are "sheep" because they think it's sort of dumb to strip the interior out of a $40k car?

Hell, why stop at the seats? Pull the door panels off, and the headliner. Carpet? Who needs that stuff?! Scrap all that plastic trim around the console as well!
Appreciate 0