BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Noob Questions What is a charge pipe? and what is a Diverter Valve?

I know I know, completely noob questions, but ive tried to search and all I can find are thread about people buying them and instal and such.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'll tackle "Diverter Valve".

Diverter valve: A vacuum-operated valve in an air-injection system that directs air-pump output to the intake(bypass valve; BPV) or atmosphere(blow-off valve; BOV) during high-vacuum deceleration to eliminate backfiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
I'll tackle "Diverter Valve".

Diverter valve: A vacuum-operated valve in an air-injection system that directs air-pump output to the intake(bypass valve; BPV) or atmosphere(blow-off valve; BOV) during high-vacuum deceleration to eliminate backfiring.
So what does that mean for performance? Why do so many people replace theirs? And is this the thing that a lot of Evo owners have that makes that obnoxious pssshhhh sound?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

It's what 'holds' the boost. A stronger, better diverter valve handles higher boost. Most of the chips etc deliver higher boost, especially at the highest stages or maps. So a diverter valve that can handle it is a must/good idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
It's what 'holds' the boost. A stronger, better diverter valve handles higher boost. Most of the chips etc deliver higher boost, especially at the highest stages or maps. So a diverter valve that can handle it is a must/good idea.
Is this only for the manual cars? To my understanding you dont need one with the autos because you dont pull off of the gas during shifts.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
BoostedCosta
SUPERMAN
Rep
Drives: AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Is this only for the manual cars? To my understanding you dont need one with the autos because you dont pull off of the gas during shifts.
that doesnt matter, b.c AT still holds boost just like MTs
and the psh sound that comes from evos is called a blow off valve. (not so sure if im right) but a blow off valve acts the same way as a DV but instead of recirlcing like a DV the boost goes to open atmosphere
      03-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

To better understand a "Diverter Valve" think of a Y-pipe. In the Y there is a valve. Normally you want the flow of air to go to the LEFT. Under normall circumstances it does. BUT... when the boost levels go up, inside the vavle is a spring loaded diaphram. As boost levels build... they press against the valve's diaphram and bleed off air. Also under high boost levels the valve is slow to close fully.

When you lift off of the gas like to change a gear... the divirter valve will open and the air flow will 'dirvert" off to the RIGHT of the Y valve. When the valve closes it has to work against the flow of air pressure (boost level).

Now... with an aftermarket diverter valve... the inner spring is stronger. So... it does not bleed off any air pressure (ie boost) and when it opens and closes it is faster than a stock valve. This is where the gains are. None to little bleed off and better cycling of teh valve from open to closed positions.

Hope this helps you better understand the diverter valves.

bye,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i82108 View Post
that doesnt matter, b.c AT still holds boost just like MTs
and the psh sound that comes from evos is called a blow off valve. (not so sure if im right) but a blow off valve acts the same way as a DV but instead of recirlcing like a DV the boost goes to open atmosphere
correct, BOV's release into the atmosphere creating that whoosh sound and DV's divert the air back into the system. there's no performance gains from either other than holding boost better than the stock plastic ones, so basically it's user preference.

and the chargepipe is the pipe that's connected to the intercooler piping and intake manifold and that's what either the DV's or BOV is connected to, our stock chargepipe is rubber so with higher boost they can bend and squeeze. all aftermarket pipes are either SS or aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

So heres the 60K question. I should seriously consider changing the stock parts out since ill be running a Dinan Stage 3 tune right?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
BoostedCosta
SUPERMAN
Rep
Drives: AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
So heres the 60K question. I should seriously consider changing the stock parts out since ill be running a Dinan Stage 3 tune right?
not really?
im running stock DVs and stock charge pipe with the jb3( pushes more boost than the dinan) and its holding boost fine. if you really want to spend more than 500 on the dv& charge pipe combo then go ahead but i rather do others mods before that
      03-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i82108 View Post
not really?
im running stock DVs and stock charge pipe with the jb3( pushes more boost than the dinan) and its holding boost fine. if you really want to spend more than 500 on the dv& charge pipe combo then go ahead but i rather do others mods before that

however some people on here have had issues w/ the charge pipe popping off etc. i think its more of a precautionary mod since you can have all the power in the world,but if your losing boost etc. that all goes to waste.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

I've had the dinan 2 tune for almost 2 years now with no problems. But recently (about 6 months ago) my car began making a constant whining or whistling noise during WOT above 4K rpm. The sound is of constant pitch and volume. It is quite obvious from inside the cabin and outside. At the track, my car sounds like a jet plane taking off. Could this be a bad DV valve?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Possibly. Retighten your DV. Mine was loose after installing the JB+ and had the Nerf football whining noise. The odd thing is one end of the chargepipe tightens clockwise while the other counter-clockwise. After I realized this... it's back to normal. No problems since.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

In theory a DV valve is better since it recirculates generated boost back into the turbo inlet thus allowing the turbo to remain (partially) spooled. Since the turbo inlet is at a lower pressure than one atmosphere, a DV can feed the turbo(s) by keeping air flowing through them during decel.
A BOV just releases the excess pressure to the atmosphere which is slightly less efficient.

Now, I'm not saying that a BOV vs DV is going to be night and day, but you may get a few milliseconds less lag with a DV.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Possibly. Retighten your DV. Mine was loose after installing the JB+ and had the Nerf football whining noise. The odd thing is one end of the chargepipe tightens clockwise while the other counter-clockwise. After I realized this... it's back to normal. No problems since.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
I've had the dinan 2 tune for almost 2 years now with no problems. But recently (about 6 months ago) my car began making a constant whining or whistling noise during WOT above 4K rpm. The sound is of constant pitch and volume. It is quite obvious from inside the cabin and outside. At the track, my car sounds like a jet plane taking off. Could this be a bad DV valve?
Quote:
mine made the same nerf whistling noise but with my AA BOV?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Ive read threads of people aftermarket DVs and BOVs poping of, is that just a bad instal?

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Mostly its a bad design because the clamps that often come with them are not up to the task.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Mostly its a bad design because the clamps that often come with them are not up to the task.
+1 my AA BOV popped off where it connects to the intercooler piping, tightening it up with a ratchet took care of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
mine made the same nerf whistling noise but with my AA BOV?
Are you saying your AA BOV has corrected the whistling?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #21
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Pkcormier, did you hear a loud pop one day while driving and the whistling started in result?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #22
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Pkcormier, did you hear a loud pop one day while driving and the whistling started in result?
No recollection of a pop or other noise, but I went from quiet to riot overnight. I track (road course) my car often so I'm WOT above 4K rpm regularly.

I had the dealer look at it but they claimed the other used 135i on their lot made the same noise so for them it is normal. They looked at me funny what I suggested the other car might also have a similar defect.

I'm prepared to replace parts if necessary to solve the problem but need some help with a starting point.
Appreciate 0