BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
36_chambers
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

Exhaust Options

Hi, looking for a little advice. I recently purchased a 2013 135 convertible and the previous owner installed a Remus axle back. While a quality system it’s a little on the mild/quiet side for me. Not that I want something super loud but I’m trying to explore some options to get a little more sound. Hoping someone may have some input.

I’m thinking of either leaving the Remus in place but removing the resonators. I know cp-e has midpipes that eliminate the resonators. I’m just not sure how much difference or sound this will make but it may add enough sound to satisfy me.

Or just replacing the system with something like a Berk street performance or
cp-e catback, or Corsa as those I believe are more aggressive than the Remus.

Anyway any input would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

What I did was get on Youtube and researched different sounding exhaust systems on the 135i. I personally ended up staying with stock exhaust and putting in a VRSF DP as this sound was what I was looking for. As you may already be aware, there are probably a couple hundred different variations when it comes to an exhaust setup. Things like drone, partial and full throttle, and even cold start are things people tend to focus on when it comes to the sound of their exhaust. Also, are you looking for performance or just a more aggressive sound? Again listening to different setups people have already shared may be the best solution for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Instead of replacing the whole midpipe, you could also have someone just remove the resonator and make a performance exhaust y-pipe copy.
Appreciate 1
JM98391.00
      02-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Instead of replacing the whole midpipe, you could also have someone just remove the resonator and make a performance exhaust y-pipe copy.
I had an exhaust shop delete my secondary converters and do this and my car sounded like a clapped out Honda civic. I ended up installing a Vibrant resonator and it fixed things right up.

In retrospect I would have just deleted the cats and left the stock resonator.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:58 PM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Quote:
I had an exhaust shop delete my secondary converters and do this and my car sounded like a clapped out Honda civic. I ended up installing a Vibrant resonator and it fixed things right up.

In retrospect I would have just deleted the cats and left the stock resonator.
OP has an N55 so no secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
justjohnny135i
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw 135i

I just did the vrsf downpipe on my car, I live the the Charlotte area if you ever want to get together and have a listen!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
36_chambers
Rep

Thanks for all the advice, I’m still thinking this over. Overall I’m not doing this for performance but more just for driving enjoyment, I already have the car tuned making decent power.

For me I just get a little more driving satisfaction from being able to hear the car roar a little more especially when running through the rev range.

I think the Remus (muffler) exhaust is just on the mild side, just a little louder than stock.
I’m looking for something in the moderate range, not super loud but something that has more volume such that you can hear it more when driving in the car.

Being a convertible and not wanting to deal with other issues I don’t really want to switch out the downpipe.

A little nervous that the resonator delete may just make the car louder but not in a good way plus may drone, but I could be wrong.

So kind of thinking that my best choice is just going with a different either catback or axleback that is just a louder setup.

If anyone is running a stock downpipe with different exhaust that you really like I would appreciate your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
36_chambers
Rep

Update, anyone running the ‘M performance exhaust’?

Tuner Motorsport has it for $778 (which seems like a great price)

It comes with the Y pipe section so I get that with the more aggressive muffler.

I’m pretty sure this is the I’m going to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36_chambers View Post
Update, anyone running the 'M performance exhaust'?

It comes with the Y pipe section so I get that with the more aggressive muffler.

I'm pretty sure this is the I'm going to go.
I had the Performance exhaust with y-pipe on my N55 1er for 8 years and was very happy with it. I say "had" because I no longer own the car. Nice, sporty sound. Not too loud. If you want really loud you should probably get something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I had the Performance exhaust with y-pipe on my N55 1er for 8 years and was very happy with it. I say "had" because I no longer own the car. Nice, sporty sound. Not too loud. If you want really loud you should probably get something else.
You're not going to be able to really get a loud "aggressive" sound unless you get rid of the stock dp its super restrictive I believe it's 800 cell if I remember correctly. Where if you get a sport dp you'll go down to the 200 range. Which will give you better sound and better throttle response without the fumes filling your cabin.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado82 View Post
You're not going to be able to really get a loud "aggressive" sound unless you get rid of the stock dp its super restrictive I believe it's 800 cell if I remember correctly. Where if you get a sport dp you'll go down to the 200 range. Which will give you better sound and better throttle response without the fumes filling your cabin.
Except that the OP said he doesn't want something "super loud."

I was responding to his question about the Performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Except that the OP said he doesn't want something "super loud."

I was responding to his question about the Performance exhaust.
Just debating the other side of your comment is all. OP is going to find it hard to find what he want's because I'm not sure if he knows. Y pipe a little bit more sound, DP a lot more sound especially FOT. I just know what I have and I love it. No drone, cold starts are a little nuts, and warm engine is a nice little purr until I open it up then she's a banshee. As I stated before Youtube will be his best friend lots of stuff out there for both N54 and N55.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado82 View Post
Just debating the other side of your comment is all. OP is going to find it hard to find what he want's because I'm not sure if he knows. Y pipe a little bit more sound, DP a lot more sound especially FOT. I just know what I have and I love it. No drone, cold starts are a little nuts, and warm engine is a nice little purr until I open it up then she's a banshee. As I stated before Youtube will be his best friend lots of stuff out there for both N54 and N55.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #14
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Update, anyone running the ‘M performance exhaust’?

I’m pretty sure this is the I’m going to go.
Yup, I had it installed maybe 6 months ago, previously had either stock M exhaust, or stock exhaust with no-cat DP.

Noticeably a bit louder, better tone overall.
Once in a while these come up for sale here so keep an eye out if you got the time/patience to wait.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43673.00
      02-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #15
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I had it installed maybe 6 months ago, previously had either stock M exhaust, or stock exhaust with no-cat DP.

Noticeably a bit louder, better tone overall.
Once in a while these come up for sale here so keep an eye out if you got the time/patience to wait.
Glad you're enjoying it...

Was a pleasure doing business with you.

Brand new still in the box Performance exhaust.
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      02-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
36_chambers
Rep

Thanks for all the input. I pretty much agree that doing something with the DP is probably the way to go but I’m a little hesitant because I don’t want to deal with emissions.

Not sure the M performance exhaust is going to give me exactly what I’m looking but hopefully it will be pretty close. I like the tone/sounds it makes but I agree the volume may still be a little on the low side.

Overall I just want something that sounds good and that will have enough sound that you will be able to hear it in the car without being crazy loud. Kind of looking for something in the happy medium which is why it may be a little tough to dial in. But being a daily and a convertible I’ll probably error on the side of more conservative.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #17
36_chambers
Rep

Just to note to anyone who may be interested, I had the BMW PE installed today. I’ve only driven it this afternoon but so far I love it. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It has a great sound, much more of a performance exhaust type of sound without being super loud. But enough volume to hear in the car while driving especially when pushing it a little.
Overall I think it just has a great sound, the type of sound I was going after.

Took the girlfriend for a drive and she thought it sounded really good as well so that’s a big plus.

I’m sure there are several solid exhaust choices out there but I will give this one a thumbs up.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43673.00
Petro135452.50
      03-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #18
0nePutt
Rep
Drives: 135is, GS430

Quote:
Just to note to anyone who may be interested, I had the BMW PE installed today. I’ve only driven it this afternoon but so far I love it. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It has a great sound, much more of a performance exhaust type of sound without being super loud. But enough volume to hear in the car while driving especially when pushing it a little.
Overall I think it just has a great sound, the type of sound I was going after.

Took the girlfriend for a drive and she thought it sounded really good as well so that’s a big plus.

I’m sure there are several solid exhaust choices out there but I will give this one a thumbs up.

Best move you could have made IMO. Better than Dinan exhaust and always feels good knowing its OEM. Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Good choice and glad you're enjoying the PE.

It will sound better as it ages!

At least that's been the case with my 135s.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:05 AM   #20
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

The PE was my favorite upgrade.

I miss my old girl now and then.

But happy with my new (to me) ride.
      03-19-2020, 12:44 AM   #21
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I'm not sure who, but I've read from someone on this forum that this combo has received a lot of compliments and is a perfect combo for a daily driver without being too "hot boi" loud:

Catless downpipes + Berk midpipe + BMW Performance Exhaust (real or modded stock muffler)
      03-28-2020, 11:57 PM   #22
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

So I have an N54 and I have quite a few mods on mine. Keep in mind I do track my car. I run Berk Racing Rull Race Exhaust and Midpipes as well as VRSF Catless Downpipes. The car sounds like a pure Track Monster in person. In person my car sounds a lot like an R35 GTR. My setup has no grasp. If you dont want a lot of drone and dont want to be overwhelmingly loud I'd recommend getting Berks Axle Back Race Exhaust, Keep Your Stock Midpipes on and install VRSF Catless Downpipes. The Berk Midpipes made the car sound like a monster but the axle back and Downpipes with stock midpipes sounds great to. Here are two very short clips of my car with Berks Full Race Exhaust, Berk Midpipes and VRSF Catless Downpipes, but again videos dont do it justice. It sounds like a monster in person. But I have bald tires so I also get no traction in the videos.

Appreciate 0