BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Need help deciding between a 128i and 135i!!!

I've recently fallen in love with the 1 series BMWs, but I need help deciding between the 128i and the 135i models! I have 20k absolute max to spend on a 1 series which has to be purchased from a registered dealer (or else my financing is invalid) but I'm torn between the easier 128i or the more fun/more expensive over time 135i

My research to date has said that the 128i will be the easier to maintain and will make it to higher mileage better than the twin turbo models. I like the extra power that the 135i has though, and I would be looking to put a performance tune as well as some aftermarket parts to sweeten it even more and bring it to about ~400hp when I'm done. The 128i would only just about break ~300hp with the same mods, although it would be a little less expensive to do so.

I had a chat with a local independent BMW service shop that gets great ratings. The main guy says to be careful of the 135i's because when they hit between 80-100k miles the turbos WILL fail with the waste gates getting stuck open so they don't produce any boost. He states on the 1 series, the replacement is very involved because the entire engine block has to be dropped in order to do work on the exhaust manifold, which would bring the price up between 5-6k for replacing the turbos when they go bad. On top of that, I also wanted to upgrade these cars with aftermarket parts from the headers all the way back to the exhaust, would it be a good idea to have that done at the same time that the turbos get replaced?

1. Is it really as bad as the guy says, where the turbos definitely fail with a strong degree of certainty?

2. Let's say that we have a 135i with two failed turbos, is the engine tuned down from factory so low that the car would be undriveable until the turbos are replaced? Or is it just a case of a less fun vehicle until which time they are replaced? Does the engine know to throw up a code when a turbo fails?

3. As for an aftermarket performance tune/aftermarket parts that are a straight upgrade over stock but without making the car road-illegal or a track-only car, is ActiveAutowerke a good bet?

4. How are both of these cars on general maintenance? Will I be in the shop multiple times per year? Is the 135i appreciably higher maintenance than the 128i or are they more or less the same?

5. Sorry for all the brain vomit

Last edited by BMW135pls; 08-09-2014 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW128pls View Post
I've recently fallen in love with the 1 series BMWs, but I need help deciding between the 128i and the 135i models! I have 20k absolute max to spend on a 1 series which has to be purchased from a registered dealer (or else my financing is invalid) but I'm torn between the easier 128i or the more fun/more expensive over time 135i

My research to date has said that the 128i will be the easier to maintain and will make it to higher mileage better than the twin turbo models. I like the extra power that the 135i has though, and I would be looking to put a performance tune as well as some aftermarket parts to sweeten it even more and bring it to about ~400hp when I'm done. The 128i would only just about break ~300hp with the same mods, although it would be a little less expensive to do so.

I had a chat with a local independent BMW service shop that gets great ratings. The main guy says to be careful of the 135i's because when they hit between 80-100k miles the turbos WILL fail with the waste gates getting stuck open so they don't produce any boost. He states on the 1 series, the replacement is very involved because the entire engine block has to be dropped in order to do work on the exhaust manifold, which would bring the price up between 5-6k for replacing the turbos when they go bad. On top of that, I also wanted to upgrade these cars with aftermarket parts from the headers all the way back to the exhaust, would it be a good idea to have that done at the same time that the turbos get replaced?

1. Is it really as bad as the guy says, where the turbos definitely fail with a strong degree of certainty?

2. Let's say that we have a 135i with two failed turbos, is the engine tuned down from factory so low that the car would be undriveable until the turbos are replaced? Or is it just a case of a less fun vehicle until which time they are replaced? Does the engine know to throw up a code when a turbo fails?

3. As for an aftermarket performance tune/aftermarket parts that are a straight upgrade over stock but without making the car road-illegal or a track-only car, is ActiveAutowerke a good bet?

4. How are both of these cars on general maintenance? Will I be in the shop multiple times per year? Is the 135i appreciably higher maintenance than the 128i or are they more or less the same?

1- Turbos are warrantied until 82k and they will probably fail before that. I would not be too worried about it. Even if they fail after warranty expires you can get stage 1 Vargas for cheap and you are good.

2- Yes it will throw a code if turbos fail and you can still drive it but it will obviously have no power.

3- Yes AA is a safe bet

4- Maintenance on BMW is generally high

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

Here is an example, I have had mine for about 2 months now. Bought an 09 135 with 68k for $17.5, it has a CPO on it til this October. Within the first few days my water pump failed which they do at this many miles, covered under CPO. Spend $600 on walnut blasting and $150 for power steering flush. Started complaining about the a/c not working properly, they found out that my evaporator was leaking. Replaced it with a new one. Car had a hard time starting, found it to be an injector so they replaced all injectors and plugs, and a window regulator.
That being said, I now have most faulty items addressed before my CPO expires so when it does hopefully the only problems I have are turbo or HPFP related.
On a side note, this car DRINKS gas. I go through a tank in 160 miles. Although my drive to and from work is only 5 miles each way and it is light to light.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:

If you need to mod the 300HP 135 to 400HP, you're likely someone who isn't going to be happy with the 128. Even though the 128 definitely has an advantage in the reliability department. Even though a 400HP 135 will surely be more unreliable than a 300HP.

But, to own a 128, you need to be a person who can be happy with something less than awesome power. Some of us find the 128 to be as much fun as we want, but we're looking at the overall experience, not pure acceleration.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 08-09-2014 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
1- Turbos are warrantied until 82k and they will probably fail before that. I would not be too worried about it. Even if they fail after warranty expires you can get stage 1 Vargas for cheap and you are good.
Sounds good, I didn't know the turbos were warranted, I'll have to ask the shop about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebimmer09 View Post
Here is an example, I have had mine for about 2 months now. Bought an 09 135 with 68k for $17.5, it has a CPO on it til this October. Within the first few days my water pump failed which they do at this many miles, covered under CPO. Spend $600 on walnut blasting and $150 for power steering flush. Started complaining about the a/c not working properly, they found out that my evaporator was leaking. Replaced it with a new one. Car had a hard time starting, found it to be an injector so they replaced all injectors and plugs, and a window regulator.
That being said, I now have most faulty items addressed before my CPO expires so when it does hopefully the only problems I have are turbo or HPFP related.
On a side note, this car DRINKS gas. I go through a tank in 160 miles. Although my drive to and from work is only 5 miles each way and it is light to light.
Man that sounds like a rough time... at least you have a maintenance plan though, I'm definitely factoring that in as well.

The gas mileage thing doesn't scare me really. My bucket gives me 19mpg effective now based on my everyday driving needs, and I don't have near the power nor fun level of a Bimmer. As long as the Bimmer gets 20mpg for me it would be a straight upgrade really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
If you need to mod the 300HP 135 to 400HP, you're likely someone who isn't going to be happy with the 128. Even though the 128 definitely has an advantage in the reliability department. Even though a 400HP 135 will surely be more unreliable than a 300HP.

But, to own a 128, you need to be a person who can be happy with something less than awesome power. Some of us find the 128 to be as much fun as we want, but we're looking at the overall experience, not pure acceleration.
Yeah something tells me if I get the 135i I'll get mod happy with it and have to use it as a money sink. I think if I get the 128i I could probably be happy with it stock or with a few small tweaks, they're wholly different vehicles. My current ride gets to 60 from a stop in just under 15s, so... do the math. The 128i is a supermodel next to my current bag lady of a vehicle.

The 128 I tested put a smile on my face, but my friend said that I'd get bored with it down the line cause it's not a powerhouse. I do appreciate the overall experience of a 1 series though, very nice feeling cars overall, brilliant handling. Do you think that with just a computer performance tune I could be happy with the 128i? The tune I think is mandatory because I hate the hesitation from full stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Is your friend going to buy the car for you?
      08-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Practice self help, drive both and make your own decision.
      08-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
If you decide on the 128i, you'll also want it with the manual tranny.
      08-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
socal135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 135is

Very short and simple to explain this. If you already considering the 135, then get the 135. You can't compare the 2 cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Murph
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

I have the base 128i with an automatic & no sport anything...with a sunroof. If you spend any time on this site at all, my car is the least desirable among enthusiasts. I read these posts and I laugh at myself because I think I'm driving around in fancy sports car. I put the BMWPE on it and it sounds killer. I'm zipping around town like a teenager. I'm not shopping for Piloti racing shoes at this point, but I keep the rims real shiny and drive around like a bad ass. The 1 series cars come in several levels of awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I have the base 128i with an automatic & no sport anything...with a sunroof. If you spend any time on this site at all, my car is the least desirable among enthusiasts. I read these posts and I laugh at myself because I think I'm driving around in fancy sports car.
You are. Real tires, and tighten up the suspension to match, and you've got a car which will run rings around classic BMWs like the 2002/E21/E30.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My wife also loves her 128i convertible automatic. The convertible weighs about 250 lbs more so it is fractionally slower than the coupe. She still thinks it is fast. Of course she also claims it is faster than my 128i convertible manual. BMW says otherwise. The conventional automatic in the 128i is a GM unit used in the CTS, a bigger car with a more powerful engine. It isn't anything exotic but should handle all the power the 128i has easily.

The nice thing about the 128i is the avoidance of turbo issues and the nice linear way it builds power. It does not have 300 ft. lbs of torque at 1500 rpm but when you keep it above 3000 rpm you are moving along quite quickly. If you want to go around racing people, the 135i will loose less races. If you just want a quick car that has the power to stay up with even quick traffic, the 128i will fill the bill nicely.
      08-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I currently drive a 09 135i as my dd. At 121k miles the waste gates are starting to rattle a little when cold (start-up) The upcoming $$$ in repairs are going to take their toll (new charge pipe with BOV's too)...until I drive the car again! You still have to deal with wp/thermostat, serpentine belt/pulleys, carbon cleaning, and fuel delivery issues of sorts in this series. At the end it's your choice; I'd still get my 135i again.
t
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Occasionally most 128 drivers will wish they had more power.
No 135 driver ever wished he had less power.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Occasionally most 128 drivers will wish they had more power.
No 135 driver ever wished he had less power.
Occasionally most 135 drivers wish they had more reliability. No 128 driver wished he had less reliability.

Ill tell you the truth nobody else on here will. The 1 series is a fantastic car in both trims...BUT, get the lightweight reliable 128i manual and you get the best of both worlds...it looks and drives like a dream, cheers my friend
      08-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

It depends on how long you plan to own the car. I know many guys who have had 135i's and 335i's and while they are certanly fun, they all had major problems arise after certain milage and IMO aern't worth the hassle. Many 135i owners on here with probably disagree with me, but there are better/ more reliable options over the 35i's that BMW offer. I have a 2010 370z TT'd making just over 500hp 550tq and have had zero issues except for a small issue with the BOV and it is a total blast.

Now, the 128i is a great balance and has been proven to be very solid. I just hit 105,000 miles and have only replaced a exhaust timing sensor. I also drive the crap out of it and it just keeps going without any hesitation. Drive both, and weigh the pro's and con's before jumping into a 135i. I'm thinking you'll greatly regret it later down the road
      08-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #17
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have owned both. Modded 128i, and modded 135i. Just buy the 135i. trust me. Spend the money on suspension and brake upgrades instead of power and you will have a very fun car to drive on the track or street. Everyone is always worried about power, and when they mod, the car becomes too powerful for the suspension and brakes. I drive the Nurbergring regularly. Elsabor87's FBO with Meth 135i is slower on the track than my stock powered 135i with suspension and HP+ pads.

You cannot compare the 128i and 135i. they are two completely different cars to drive. Reliability will be determined by the previous owners maintenance records and driving habits. If your really worried about the 135i's turbos, remember they are warrantied to 82k miles.
      08-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #18
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Did anyone read the part where he has $20k to spend at a dealer?

Pardon my frankness (and this is only my opinion), but you're not getting a nice enough 135 for $20k from a dealer to even consider one.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #19
slickman
Best Made Winner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

I would not take what the dealer told you to heart. Replacing the turbos I don't think you need to pull the engine. I'm in the process of replacing the entire exhaust from he turbos back in my garage so, if your mechanically able, not a big deal.

Your price range is there just shop around and don't jump at the first one you see. I just got a 2009 135i convertible with 24,000 miles for $19.500 (Not a dealer).. $20k is a bit low for a low mileage BMW 1 series but if you keep looking, you will find one but not an easy thing. Good luck with your search.

Quote:

Last edited by slickman; 08-11-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #20
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Okay forget what I said about the price then. I didn't realize these cars had gotten so cheap.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
Occasionally most 135 drivers wish they had more reliability. No 128 driver wished he had less reliability.

Ill tell you the truth nobody else on here will. The 1 series is a fantastic car in both trims...BUT, get the lightweight reliable 128i manual and you get the best of both worlds...it looks and drives like a dream, cheers my friend
You have a point, but we don't buy BMWs for reliability. It's nice when it happens (my 2012 135 has 32k miles with zero issues - not even rattles, but then again, it is bone stock so far), but reliability isn't the point of these cars.

And I'm not knocking the 128 either. It's a fine car. If I got a 128, I would probably go with the 'vert. 135: go coupe. The 128 for tooling around in a nice, fun car (preferrably a 'vert), or the 135 for pure smile-inducing performance.

IMHO, unless you have a physical issue that makes it impossible, I think it's a crime against humanity to get any tranny other than a 6MT in either car. I know some will disagree, citing traffic and the like, but I commute in stop-and-go traffic every day, and I wouldn't have an automatic tranny if you GAVE me one. It's a non-issue if you are used to it (every car I've ever owned has been a manual - I even took my driver's license test in a manual at age 16, 25 years ago). To me it's not a chore-it's just driving.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either car. You just have to decide what you are buying it for.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Modding the 128i to 300hp will be very expensive. You WILL need catless headers and a tune along with the DISA manifold. The headers will run you close to 2k. If you get a 135i, you can easily get 50hp/tq from a tune alone.

I love the 128i I have, but if you're talking power, don't even kid yourself, just get the 135i. Thinking you can get the 128i up to the power levels the 135i has stock is just crazy and you'll never come close to the torque of the 135i. There are a few 128i owners on here who have gone all out but there is no way they are comparable to what the 135i can put down.
Appreciate 0