BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
frankalope
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Clearing FRM short circuit counter

Hey all,

This is my first post here, pretty much only because I havnt found the answer anywhere else. So here we go.

My girlfriend has an 09 135i that has passenger headlight out. It was flickering for quite some time and it eventually just fully went out. I replaced the balast with a new one and dried out the headlight assembly. It was leaking from the seal on the back ( original covers I believe). Put it back together and then well, of course it didnt just start back up.

I then started researching my options, replaced the bulb, which did not work of course.I found out about tool 32 and finally got my cable today. I can communicate with the software just fine for most thing, but when I load FRM 87 it shows me how many short circuits i have on the counter job, but on the reset job it always comes back with some error saying that The ECU is not compatible.

FRM_70 comes back with no errors or short circuits in the lighting system options

This is the error i get:ERROR_ECU_SUBFUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED__INVALID_F ORMAT

Anyone had this issue before, or is well verse in Tool32?

Much appreicated,
Frankalope
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

not sure if this helps but,

I'm guessing you went by this 'guide' --> http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=866044

Try going by this one to see if you can come up with a specific bulb error --> http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=bulb+guide

It might give something more to Google research and come closer to a solution.

I don't know the software well enough to be much help otherwise, and I'm still rebuilding all my BMW software after laptop failure.
And I'm about 30min south of you. ... have a white car by chance?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
frankalope
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've been googling like crazy! I usually do before I ever post, but once I get stumped I try to reach out and see what I can figure out. I'll check that other link you posted. Yeah white Msport . You have a black one then right?

*Update*
That post looks like it'll be alot of help! Shows the FRM modules that control the headlights, I think I was just in the wrong module! Gonna give it another try here on Thursday when I do a rear brake job and I'll post an update.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankalope View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've been googling like crazy! I usually do before I ever post, but once I get stumped I try to reach out and see what I can figure out. I'll check that other link you posted. Yeah white Msport . You have a black one then right?

*Update*
That post looks like it'll be alot of help! Shows the FRM modules that control the headlights, I think I was just in the wrong module! Gonna give it another try here on Thursday when I do a rear brake job and I'll post an update.

Thanks!
Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm having exactly the same issue with my passenger low beam. Were you able to fix this issue? Am I able to access this counter reset with Carly? I could really use some advice on how to fix this..its getting annoying driving around with one headlight.

thanks in advance