BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #23
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I'm shocked at the Koreans' performance in this study

The second link Jason posted has the ratings after 3 years of ownership
Ya and the Koreans got our old M division lead engineer too..
That's because... Money talks !
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #24
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Iono why JD Power is getting flack in this thread. They are making it clear that they're reporting Initial Quality, not "best" or anything else that would be interpreted as subjective.

And then they use hard data on reported problems per 100. If you want to look at their methodology, it's posted on their site. JD Power knows how to conduct surveys.

If you want to split hairs, I guess you could allege response bias - does a certain group tend to respond more or less? But if that were the case, then Porsche should be last...that group is the pickiest group of mofos
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #25
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Iono why JD Power is getting flack in this thread. They are making it clear that they're reporting Initial Quality, not "best" or anything else that would be interpreted as subjective.

And then they use hard data on reported problems per 100. If you want to look at their methodology, it's posted on their site. JD Power knows how to conduct surveys.

If you want to split hairs, I guess you could allege response bias - does a certain group tend to respond more or less? But if that were the case, then Porsche should be last...that group is the pickiest group of mofos
They only survey the silly people who have time to take it.

The people sitting around doing nothing is where they get most of their data.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:

They only survey the silly people who have time for that crap.

The people sitting around doing nothing's where they get most of their data.
Like me? I've filled out a survey or two.

Point taken about the length of the survey, but even if there was that type of bias, it would affect every manufacturer. So it's still a level playing field.

JD Power isn't perfect but it's probably the best we've got. In my former job I had to analyze their scores for my company (not auto). Really the biggest critique I have of them is that they kind of bury the fact that a lot of their performance gaps are not statistically significant. Also, the way I understand this particular survey, a blown engine counts just as much as a complaint about iDrive being hard to use, so that's not too great either.

But still - this data is the best I've seen. It certainly beats anecdotal input like "well, my M3 has been perfect so far"
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      06-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #27
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They only survey the silly people who have time for that crap.

The people sitting around doing nothing's where they get most of their data.
Like me? I've filled out a survey or two.

Point taken about the length of the survey, but even if there was that type of bias, it would affect every manufacturer. So it's still a level playing field.

JD Power isn't perfect but it's probably the best we've got. In my former job I had to analyze their scores for my company (not auto). Really the biggest critique I have of them is that they kind of bury the fact that a lot of their performance gaps are not statistically significant. Also, the way I understand this particular survey, a blown engine counts just as much as a complaint about iDrive being hard to use, so that's not too great either.

But still - this data is the best I've seen. It certainly beats anecdotal input like "well, my M3 has been perfect so far"
I understand.

If they paid me I'd gladly take time to maybe fill one out.

I don't buy a BMW because of any data JDPowers provides us.

However it's clear they're an upstanding sources to consider when buying a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #28
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I'm pretty much sure no one here bought their E9x because of initial build quality. If you bought used, you totally threw caution into the wind with all the RB talk on the interwebs.
      06-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #29
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Why shouldn't their cars rank so highly now? Fact is South Korea is a powerhouse full of highly-educated STEM workers. Heck, they get faster LTE speeds underground than most of us in America can get through Spectrum, Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc! But I guess what is shocking is how quickly they changed from putting out crap to world-class products that really are just darn good.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #30
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Porsche is killing it.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      06-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
BEST has a completely different meaning to each and every one of us.

You should maybe change your name to Asianauto !!

Loll.

I don't think there's any denying the Asian makes are more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Otherwise they've got nothing on the Germans.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #32
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Glad to see BMW isn't half bad! Actually better than some big names! Those Korean brands are kicking some butt!
      06-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #33
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
Quote:
Why shouldn't their cars rank so highly now? Fact is South Korea is a powerhouse full of highly-educated STEM workers. Heck, they get faster LTE speeds underground than most of us in America can get through Spectrum, Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc! But I guess what is shocking is how quickly they changed from putting out crap to world-class products that really are just darn good.
Basically, because they were total crap around a decade ago. They must have invested billions to completely retool and redesign processes in all their factories. Worst to first in such a massively equipment intensive industry is truly shocking.

I'm not with you on "world class" just yet though. This study only says they have the least defects within 90 days. More to being world class than that...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #34
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Basically, because they were total crap around a decade ago. They must have invested billions to completely retool and redesign processes in all their factories. Worst to first in such a massively equipment intensive industry is truly shocking.

I'm not with you on "world class" just yet though. This study only says they have the least defects within 90 days. More to being world class than that...
I was talking more about their products in general though - cars, TVs, appliances, smartphones, etc. I was shocked how high-tech Seoul was when I visited.

As for cars being world class - well, yes, they don't make Ferraris yet. But they keep doing well on JD Power's 3-year reliability report, as well as Consumer Reports these days. Their vehicles ace IIHS safety ratings, they are built well, they tend to be reliable now, they offer lots of content for the price, AND they have a better warranty than anyone else - if that's not world class for 2 mainstream brands, than I don't know what is IMHO.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #35
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

11th ain't so bad. I'd have figured must worse with my experience from my one 650.

i changed jobs and went to a new dealer for service, and the SA visibly reacted when he saw the service record come up on screen
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #36
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

and Buick?? It'd surely drop if they sold more than the two cars that went to centenarians
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #37
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Not surprised to see Porsche make top 5
      06-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #38
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

Toyota really down that far?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #39
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Show me a 10 year old Korean car that doesn't look like crap with 75K+ miles.

Not convinced!

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #40
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalpinoy911 View Post
Toyota really down that far?
Overrated makers of penalty boxes and beige toaster appliances with 4 wheels.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #41
Dieselunlimited
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post

Not convinced!
Oh but the stinger GT is an exception...... lol

Their Korean effort to replicate mcb was a fail with the one stinger gt I've seen in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #42
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselunlimited View Post
Quote:

Not convinced!
Oh but the stinger GT is an exception...... lol

Their Korean effort to replicate mcb was a fail with the one stinger gt I've seen in person.
I want to see a Stinger after several years of use and thousands of miles to see how these present day Korean starions really hold up...

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #43
RedGT3RS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:

Not convinced!

You can say the same about all the German/euro cars after 10 years (if they last that long haha) 75k+ Miles 😂

Of course there’s always an exceptions but not the rule
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #44
RedGT3RS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Loll.

I don't think there's any denying the Asian makes are more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Otherwise they've got nothing on the Germans.
The Lexus LC500 And the LFA has something to say....

My point being saying it’s got nothing on the Germans is not true

That being said I’d rather live in japan than Germany given the choice 😂

Last statement is completely irrelevant, I know haha
Appreciate 0