BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Lightbulb DIY - BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap Install

Hi everyone!

I just thought that I would share my experience with you guys regarding my install of the BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps.

There is a video of an install posted on YouTube however that video and some others I have seen show or talk about removing the actual mirror in order to remove the mirror caps. There is a much easier way.

Removal

1. Take both hands and place them around the back of the OEM factory mirror cap. If your hands are sweaty, wear some latex gloves or something.

2. Pull forcefully with even pressure applied to your fingertips to both the top/bottom and inside/outside of the mirror caps . As you pull, you will hear an unnerving sound that sounds like plastic breaking however do not fear, this is only sound of the clips releasing. Refer to my pictures below of what the clips look like.

Once you have removed the OEM factory mirror cap, you are now ready to install your shiny new BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps.

Install

1. Line up the CF mirror cap to the back of the exposed side mirror. Make sure that the clips on the inside of the mirror cap line up with all of the clip inserts on the mirror. This is important as it is possible for you to line up some of the clips but not all 4 and the mirror will not sit properly, will be loose and risks falling off. You can use a torch to look inside as you're trying to line up the clips.

2. Push in the mirror cap gradually and evenly using the same technique as when removing the factory cap. Make sure that the inside edge of the mirror cap near the hinge does not get stuck on the inside of the exposed side mirror. This is likely to happen if the mirror cap clips aren't pushed in evenly together. If this happens, just pull it off and start again. It is preferable not to do this too many times as the clips are quite a soft plastic and wear down with each removal and you risk the clips becoming too loose.

3. Repeat on the other side

4. Stand back and admire your new sexy mirror caps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

looks good.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Maconer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i AW/CORAL RED MT

Very sexy. Nice post.
Cold Weather Pkg / Sport Pkg / Active Steering / Comfort Access / Prem Hi-Fi / Bluetooth / Rear PDC / BMW Perf 313s wrapped with Michelin PSSs / Dunlop Winter Sport 3D (winter) on 17'' Motegis / Blacked Out 135i badge / BMW Performance Grills / BMW Performance Power Kit Stage 1 / BMW Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List

You have everything i love in the BMW i want to own oneday!

White colour Bmw Vert! Dig the black magz and Carbon Fiber mirrors!

is it just me or does your side windows look tinted? oh i cant see the backlights but did you do add the LCI backlights cause that would make it looks sweeet!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looks all very nice! I think your next mod should be black performance grills or maybe CF ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDoNiOn View Post

You have everything i love in the BMW i want to own oneday!

White colour Bmw Vert! Dig the black magz and Carbon Fiber mirrors!

is it just me or does your side windows look tinted? oh i cant see the backlights but did you do add the LCI backlights cause that would make it looks sweeet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Looks all very nice! I think your next mod should be black performance grills or maybe CF ones.
Thanks guys!

MaDoNiOn you're right, I have tinted my side and rear windows. I got a 35% 3M Carbon Tint installed.

I actually ordered the Blackline LED LCIs as well as the BMW Performance High Gloss black kidney grills and the BMW Performance CF Rear Spoiler from Germany a few weeks ago. Just waiting for them to arrive. I cannot wait!

The DHL tracking numbers say they've been in Australia for about a week already but I don't have numbers to track their whereabouts in Australia . Hopefully they'll arrive very soon!
      08-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
RLighty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 120D SE Coupe

Thanks for the post!
I think I saw the same video.. didn't seem too keen myself on ripping out the mirror! Your technique is much better. Will try it.

...though unnerving to think that anyone can come up to you're car and pull off the Carbon Fibre mirror caps (considering they've seen this thread haha) :/ *ghetto problems
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
froop!

awsomeeee!

Dont you want to take a few more pix of your car with top down and then top down with windows up oh and of the back with your LCI tailights ?

And the 35% tint...is there no signs of peeling or any signs of bubbles?
im always on the fence wether or not i should tint my windows.

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

RLightly, Yeah it is kinda unnerving parking it overnight in places I don't know so well but so far I've been ok haha. Touch wood =P

Mad, no bubbling or peeling. It's only about a month old but the install comes with a lifetime warranty so no need to worry about it. If anything happens, you can always take it back and get them to re-install it.
      08-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLighty View Post
Thanks for the post!
I think I saw the same video.. didn't seem too keen myself on ripping out the mirror! Your technique is much better. Will try it.

...though unnerving to think that anyone can come up to you're car and pull off the Carbon Fibre mirror caps (considering they've seen this thread haha) :/ *ghetto problems
I had the exact same thought process. I ordered some CF mirrors for my car that are on their way and I didn't think it was that easy to remove them xD.

Thanks OP, they look great
      08-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Moreeeee pix!

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #12
RLighty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 120D SE Coupe

I tried this last night.. It works!
It's pretty darn easy I must say. Just wiggle here, wiggle there and hey presto you have removed the cap without any tools what so ever.
Just make sure to pull off evenly, bit by bit.

I'm going to *try* to wrap mine with Black Vinyl... save a few ££.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Thank you for making this thread. I spent a good 10 minutes looking the housing over trying to figure out how to remove the caps!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
Thank you for making this thread. I spent a good 10 minutes looking the housing over trying to figure out how to remove the caps!
Haha no problem! Did you install CF caps?
      02-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i e82

nice DIY

looks great!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Anyone tried this with the larger LCI wing mirrors, is the removal just as simple?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #17
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Anyone tried this with the larger LCI wing mirrors, is the removal just as simple?
Yep. Exactly the same.
      03-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #18
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

i cant get them off..... they are stuck well have to use a screwdriver or silimer to get it off z
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #19
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berne
i cant get them off..... they are stuck well have to use a screwdriver or silimer to get it off z
If you take a screwdriver to it you'll definitely damage something. Honestly, just grip and pull. Maybe try to pull the outside a bit, then the inside one click at a time.
      03-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #20
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by berne View Post
Mine were easy to do on the 135i but on the 1M one of them didn't want to come off...

I dropped in at my dealer and they had it off in 3 seconds... Didn't cost a thing...
      03-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #21
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
Quote:
Originally Posted by berne View Post
Mine were easy to do on the 135i but on the 1M one of them didn't want to come off...

I dropped in at my dealer and they had it off in 3 seconds... Didn't cost a thing...
Us owners are afraid to pull so hard. Dealer just does it with some extra oomph and if it breaks, they'll cover a new one. But they knew it wouldn't break.

I'm gonna do this so I can get some paint cleaner and wax on the inside portion of the mirror cap! Spring is coming to Toronto late this year. But spring detailing is coming soon!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0