BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #23
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

One of the guys in the local BMWCCA club bought a GTI and really likes it. He still has his 135i too. My daughter thinks my e88 is too small for her kids car seats plus it's 10 years old now so I have been thinking. I like the X2 but the GTI or R may be at least as practical and possibly cheaper - GTI should be for sure. I used to drive a small SUV and like the higher seating position, however. Not sure what I will do - or when. Probably wait until the e88 does something I don't like.
      07-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #24
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Lots of torque, yes. Lightweight, no. It weighs about 100lb more than a 128.

I actually think our engines have surprisingly good mid-range torque, but they are lacking slightly on the low end - but still miles ahead of N/A VTEC Hondas and the Toybaru twins. It's a personal preference, but I like winding an engine out for full power. That's where the N52 comes up short for me. I'm hoping to free up the top end power on mine with some engine mods soon. Otherwise I'm happy with the power.

My Mustang has all the torque I could want, but it handles like a pig. Even if the skidpad numbers were higher, that's not a true indicator of how a car feels behind the wheel. My 128 strikes a nearly perfect balance between feeling nimble but still solid
I agree...it's the low end TQ that is all that's missing. I don't need much more, and I hope the MILVS solve that. My Corvette is the same as your Mustang...TQ for days.

I like revving the engine out as well, and in the Vette that isn't happening without a loss of traction..or a ticket.

I will say that Headers made a huge difference on the top end for my 128i...more so than anywhere else. Adding them along with the tune and the car pulls effortlessly and hard to 7K.