07-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #199
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
no need to be a smart ass about it. it's all good. i can totally see your point of view; i just disagree. :drinking:
Differences of opinion is what makes the world go round. :drinking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
OT, but let's hope the M1 will give a sweet six rendition of the M3 V8 sound in this video:
http://www.windingroad.com/multimedi...24/2008-bmw-m3
Continuing the OT M3 engine sound, this is great for that as well http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...d_nurburgring/

God I could listen to that all night.... If you haven't listened to this clip, I HIGHLY suggest checking it out. 8 minutes of V8 M3 goodness.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #200
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Alpine Weiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
Differences of opinion is what makes the world go round. :drinking:

Continuing the OT M3 engine sound, this is great for that as well http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...d_nurburgring/

God I could listen to that all night.... If you haven't listened to this clip, I HIGHLY suggest checking it out. 8 minutes of V8 M3 goodness.

nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #201
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:

Wow... definitely not my father's V8!!! :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #202
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post

lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #203
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
Not sure who posted the comment earlier about ///M standing for solely marketing, well those ///Marketing guys know how to make 1 HELL of a motor. What's an absolute shame though is that you can tell from the winding road video they insulate the cabin very well and a lot of the engine sound is lost. Well at least pedestrians get to enjoy it.

Does any1 know of a way to save the audio clip from the automobile website??? PM me, I need that on my Ipod so I can use it as an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #204
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Won35i View Post
at least it doesnt sound like a typical American V8..

Nope, it sounds like a NASCAR V8
      07-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #205
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Not sure who posted the comment earlier about ///M standing for solely marketing, well those ///Marketing guys know how to make 1 HELL of a motor. What's an absolute shame though is that you can tell from the winding road video they insulate the cabin very well and a lot of the engine sound is lost. Well at least pedestrians get to enjoy it.

Does any1 know of a way to save the audio clip from the automobile website??? PM me, I need that on my Ipod so I can use it as an alarm.
heh. that was me. and i agree with you!

at the time i was being critical of some people's blind devotion to the M brand without really backing it up with facts... also pointing out how important the M brand and its marketing is to all of bmw. no disrespect meant for their obviously top rate engineering team!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #206
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Hi I take the name Scott from the famous "Explorer" not my real name as I am born with a German name and German identity. I work in marketing within BMW especially "Creative Marketing"which goes on everywhere - Wherelse do you expect to find "insider"info regarding latest strategies ? There is no official inside sources in these automotive businesses because it is senior management letting you know through sanctioned leaks the score because it generates maximum publicity for the company.

It is true we mix things up to continue the debate by ading fiction to fact which only increases the appetite for debate. Some of my latest examples in media creation and presentation including the M3 presentation and the X5 which was a very exciting concept and recently worked on the MINI Clubman which officially arrives next Tuesday.
I did not work on the 1er Coupe but will shortly commence on the 1er cabrio which will be the polar opposite of the Coupe's Intensity concept - Think the Coupe towards male buyers and the Cabrio with female buyers.

I think we have about 18 months before the M1 debut as BMW are planning an extensive development programme.
Many within BMW see the 1er Coupe as such an Emotional response to what BMW achieved with their small cars from 1600- E-30 M3 cars that officially over generations created the excitement and success within BMW today.
There is an opportunity to engage the tri-color entry coupe segment now that the 3er and M3 has moved upwards.
And there is great support and enthusiasm to make this happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #207
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I think we have about 18 months before the M1 debut as BMW are planning an extensive development programme.
awww crap. god this makes for quite a difficult decision. but one i'm pleased to deal with.

oh yeah :respekt: to scott and the entire alternative marketing team of bmw
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #208
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

^That's absolutely wonderful, "Scott".
      07-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #209
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Damnit Scott. I hope this isn't one of your creative marketing scheme because it's affecting my decision to buy a 135i. I really like to have the M1 but I am not sure if I can wait another year and half. The decision is depended on weight/engine/cost. Please flow that up to the engineering department and keep us informed.
      07-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #210
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Quote:
Many within BMW see the 1er Coupe as such an Emotional response to what BMW achieved with their small cars from 1600- E-30 M3 cars that officially over generations created the excitement and success within BMW today.
WE LOVE YOU SCOTT!:wub:

Now I will save my pennies......

The 135i didn't convice me to buy, but a M1 will!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #211
trahsub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' ///M3

Well I guess I'll be buying that used Integra Type R afterall and I'll hold my breath to see what happens with the ol' 1er models :smile:
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #212
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
It is true we mix things up to continue the debate by ading fiction to fact which only increases the appetite for debate. . . . SNIP . . .
Quote:

So 'Scott', is the M1 fiction added for the debate or does it have a 'green light'? Or is that asking too much? ; -)

Thanks!!

- Hugo
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #213
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post

So 'Scott', is the M1 fiction added for the debate or does it have a 'green light'? Or is that asking too much? ; -)

Thanks!!

- Hugo[/SIZE][/FONT]
good point. you've earned your sig line tonight! and i really hope scott responds to this question. that line about adding fiction to fact to increase debate seemed a bit out of left field to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #214
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

so i assume scott means 18 months from now and not 18 months from the 135i launch? and would the launch be worldwide or europe or us? so many questions!

it will be interesting to see what information comes to light over the next few months about this. as of now i'm rather unsure how to proceed... if i had to make a decision now i'd probably finance the 135i for 36 months so there's no chance of being "upside-down" were an M1 to come along. hmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #215
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
so i assume scott means 18 months from now and not 18 months from the 135i launch? and would the launch be worldwide or europe or us? so many questions!

it will be interesting to see what information comes to light over the next few months about this. as of now i'm rather unsure how to proceed... if i had to make a decision now i'd probably finance the 135i for 36 months so there's no chance of being "upside-down" were an M1 to come along. hmmmmm
He wants to create the buzz It's his job. 18 month after the 135i is too long for me I am getting the 135i first.
      07-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #216
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
good point. you've earned your sig line tonight! and i really hope scott responds to this question. that line about adding fiction to fact to increase debate seemed a bit out of left field to me.
Nah - it's not. Car companies do some really fun things to journalists at times - they play them like toy drums. I thought I had met Scott (having met a BMW PR person at the US X5 launch that had a typically American name) but it wasn't 'Scott' after we exchanged messages. 'Scott' has a job to do and as far as I can see he's doing it very well.

I meant my comment in fun since we aren't suposed to know what's real and what isn't. There are still almost 8 months to go for the US launch. Car companies often release 'specials' (SVT comes to mind) when sales are past their peak. That 'revitalizes' the line (usually).

Will we see an M1? Would BMW really tell us before the launch of the 128/135i? ; -)

Now if 'Scott' can tell me if Sedona Red is more red than orange, I'll buy him a Bier!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #217
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Will we see an M1? Would BMW really tell us before the launch of the 128/135i? ; -)

Now if 'Scott' can tell me if Sedona Red is more red than orange, I'll buy him a Bier!!
true true. However, it does seem odd though to be talking about something _better_ down the pipe ... whether true or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #218
Robert
Major General
Rep

Here is something Scott wrote about 4 months ago regarding the M1

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...70&postcount=1
      07-27-2007, 12:19 AM   #219
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep

Quote:
[font=Garamond][size=2]

Thanks!!

- Hugo
My sentiments exactly!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 02:51 AM   #220
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

OK this is causing me some serious stress!!!!!! 18 mos from today or 18 mos from Nov, I don't want a 135 if there will be an M1. Period. Goin back and forth with my SA here and he vehemently denies there will be an M1. Quick copy and paste from the email he sent me this morning. His English isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than my German :biggrin:, you should be able to get the idea. I rarely trust my SA's though, because we usually know more than they do. I'm seriously thinking of going to a plan B again and getting something used at a good price, so when it comes time to swap I'm less upside down.

Good morning,

talking to the m-gmbh right now:
-there is no plan to do a m1 in the moment!!! There are many speculations in the internet or magazines but they are all not right!!!

The manager of the m-gmbh thinks that there will be no m1 but even if they decide to do it will last mind. 4 years from now on.

The reason is that the m-cars depend mostly of the us-market and the Americans don’t like small cars. That is also the reason why there will be no m3 touring, even it was said in a serious magazine like auto-motor-sport.
Another reason: a m1 would be to near to the 135i and so they will get problems with the development/producing costs!

regards
Appreciate 0