BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Kussarev
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupe

Exclamation I drive 6.5" upgrade/retrofit ? (E82)

Hey guys, I need some help here.

Although I'm new to the forum, I've extensively searched for some info about this specific topic here in the forum and I couldn't find anything similar.

My car is a BMW 2010 135i E82 that has the 6.5" idrive and I wanted to upgrade it to the 8.8" idrive that came in the LCI e82s.
The biggest issue I have, is because I want to keep it OEM instead of getting aftermarket screens.

I'll leave some pictures here so you can understand the situation and maybe help me out.
If you know any place that sells those, or even the part number for it would help a lot.

NOTICE: the TOP screen is the one I have, and the BOTTOM one is the one I want.

Also do you know if it requires any kind of coding?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

The website "realoem" might help you locate part numbers. You can use those to search google / ebay / etc. for parts.

You may be replacing a lot more than the screen and housing around it, you might have to replace source units, cables, and so on, some of which are the brains of the car and control a lot of other things as well.

If you search for "CIC retrofit" you should find some threads to get you started.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...ystem-retrofit
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 03:42 AM   #4
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

As you already have CIC you "only" need a new Headunit and the Display with housing.
Cables are the same.
As you mentioned the issue is to get a proper housing, as they where pretty rare sold.
Even here at europe they are hard to get and pretty expensive (>500€ for Display with housing)

The 8.8" display itself is the same as from the E9X CIC 3-series, which are sold rather cheap.
So a cheaper workaround would modifying a business display housing to fit in a E90 8.8" Display.

Same with headunit, the HU from E9x 3-series is the same.

And last but not least, yes changing to professional requires proper coding.
when have a good coder he also can code the Unit completely to your car, so you don`t ned a Can-Filter.

Kri

Last edited by Kri; 02-15-2020 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 2