BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #23
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Sorry for the delay. Been dealing with emissions testing issues and home issues. My settings. My button mapping is the same as yours.

Weird. The place I'm hosting has these upright. If you right click and open these in a new tab they are upright. But you can see how I have it set.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #24
thataverageguymike
Rep
Drives: 2009 E82 128i

Thanks for posting those! I finally figured out what was wrong with my steering wheel controls and having the correct CANBUS setting from that menu helped.

On the back of the head unit, apart from the wiring harness than connects to the CANBUS adapter, there are 4 sets of wires coming out from where the Bluetooth and WiFi antennas are: they are labeled CAN OUT, CAN IN, IR, and KEY. When opening the unit from the factory they had the CAN OUT and KEY wires connected. I played with the different combinations and when I connected CAN OUT and CAN IN the steering wheel controls worked!

Also, about the celsius/farenheit and km/miles conversion when the CANBUS first connects: there's an app on the head unit called Car Info I believe. If you open it up you can get to this screen where you can set those and it will change the dash and HVAC setting as well. You can also activate seat heaters from that app (although it doesn't change the "C" on the notification bar of the head unit which is kind of funny. I doubt it's 64C in my garage).

Thanks for your help! I hope you get yours working the way you want.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #25
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Haven't been back in a while. Thanks for the info. The units have been annoying me but I haven't delved into the settings much. I've been pretty happy. It's nice to have a backup camera and retain SWC. For some reason my HU seems to reboot sometimes, and sometimes not. It doesn't lose settings just doesn't fast reboot.

I'd do it again if I had the chance. I might see if this will work in my daughters 2008 Mini. Can't find much info on that Canbus but she could really use a backup camera and Waze.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #26
danny8787
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
After reading Stubbie Blue’s excellent installation instructions, I decided to install the Latest 7 inch universal head unit.

I looked on YouTube and noticed an installation in an e90 with the e90 specific head unit and wiring harness and reached out to Joying to see if I could purchase the e90 plug and play harness separately. The video showed a plug and play Canbus solution and working steering wheel controls.

The owner also showed another video where he upgraded the head unit with a newer Joying and the harness still worked.

Since the professional e88 and e90 head units are the same and the harness worked for both old and new Joying units, I speculated the Canbus harness would work for the e88 too. The Joying rep Candy sold me the universal head unit for 20% off and charged me $44 for the Canbus plug and play harness. The harness also comes with the antenna adapter. I installed it and fired it up and everything worked right off the bat. It got cold so I haven’t messed around or hooked up the camera yet but figured I’d post and add when I start messing with it more.

I had to go to the link on joying‘s website that showed the E90 specific head unit and in one of the photos I was able to find the Canbus wiring harness. I sent that picture to the rep and they worked with me to get it to me for $44.

I will update this when I get some more time with it.

So basically for $44 you can delete the PAC adapter and antenna adapter and not have to program anything.
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing all information! I am about to buy 8.8 wide screen joying head unit and I would like to know what other parts do I need other then head unit?

Please let me know!

Thank you,
Danny
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #27
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

I used this rectifier for the camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This mount:

The CANBUS adapter from joying for the 3 series, and I got this generic backup camera that attaches to the license plate since the convertible (mine) has a different trunk handle than the coupe so the trunk handle backup cam that Stubbie Blue used doesn't fit.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #28
SubyMike3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT, 2007 STi

Went ahead and finally installed my Joying 8.8" unit over the weekend along with the e90 CAN adapter and the trunk handle backup camera. As expected, already running into a few small issues.
  • CAN adapter detects steering wheel controls, but FWD/Back and Volume Up/Down are reversed. Steering wheel control menu will not allow programming for some reason.
  • Didn't get the included spacers that some of you did, so the unit is sitting far too low and to the left for my liking. Will most likely have to 3D print a solution for this.
  • Vehicle settings from the unit restart every time I key off (changes back to degrees C, Kms, etc.) Will also need to code out the SOS error.
  • Static at low volumes is quite loud, and even the volume at 3-5 is very loud. Guessing this is because my car had the Euro Alpine amp/speaker kit installed. May be a good excuse to unload it and upgrade to some Bavsound components fed right off the SPDIF.
  • Wasn't able to finish the backup camera wire from the RH side of the car up and through the grommet for the trunk. May have to revisit this later or find an extension so the junction of the signal wire and power wires doesn't have to come through.

Overall still getting used to it, and dialing in the settings. Any pointers / recommendations are always welcomed. Adapter cable to route USB from the original location is on the way, and I've already wired up the OE AUX port. I'll try to get some pics up to help those trying to keep these functional.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #29
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyMike3 View Post
Went ahead and finally installed my Joying 8.8" unit over the weekend along with the e90 CAN adapter and the trunk handle backup camera. As expected, already running into a few small issues.
  • CAN adapter detects steering wheel controls, but FWD/Back and Volume Up/Down are reversed. Steering wheel control menu will not allow programming for some reason.
  • Didn't get the included spacers that some of you did, so the unit is sitting far too low and to the left for my liking. Will most likely have to 3D print a solution for this.
  • Vehicle settings from the unit restart every time I key off (changes back to degrees C, Kms, etc.) Will also need to code out the SOS error.
  • Static at low volumes is quite loud, and even the volume at 3-5 is very loud. Guessing this is because my car had the Euro Alpine amp/speaker kit installed. May be a good excuse to unload it and upgrade to some Bavsound components fed right off the SPDIF.
  • Wasn't able to finish the backup camera wire from the RH side of the car up and through the grommet for the trunk. May have to revisit this later or find an extension so the junction of the signal wire and power wires doesn't have to come through.

Overall still getting used to it, and dialing in the settings. Any pointers / recommendations are always welcomed. Adapter cable to route USB from the original location is on the way, and I've already wired up the OE AUX port. I'll try to get some pics up to help those trying to keep these functional.

would like to see how you attached to the oe aux port.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #30
SubyMike3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
would like to see how you attached to the oe aux port.
Alright, so a bit of an update:
  • Still cannot manually configure the steering wheel controls, but within the settings menus, I was able to locate options to reverse the volume and the FWD/Back.
  • Still cannot figure out why the CAN settings keep reversing when the car is turned off. If it is a short amount of time, it keeps the MPG, *F, and Odometer mileage. If it sits overnight, it'll lose the settings. Super annoying.
  • Backup camera has been routed with a 4 pin extension cable. I used the following and was able to fish it through the trunk and the grommet. I also used a relay on the power side of the camera per Stubbie Blue's picture.
  • For the adapter cable, I used a youtube video comment for my pin out along with the following connector. On the green connector, pin 4=tip, pin 3=ring, pin 2=sleeve, pin 1=not used.

Here's the youtube video (video is incorrect, check pinned comment):

Here's the connector:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61132359994/

Still waiting on the adapter cable to connect the OE USB to the headunit to come in from China. Haven't gotten around to shifting the screen over yet either. If I can't get the CAN issue sorted sooner than later, I'm tempted to unload this for a name brand non-android unit along with conventional steering wheel adapters. The settings not saving along with the cheap gong sounds are beginning to wear on me.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #31
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

thats really odd on the canbus controls. Also, do you have the constant power tapped into constant fuse?

You don't hear of people having issues with the steering controls on the dedicated units and the harness they provide is supposed to remedy that for the universal units.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #32
SubyMike3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
thats really odd on the canbus controls. Also, do you have the constant power tapped into constant fuse?

You don't hear of people having issues with the steering controls on the dedicated units and the harness they provide is supposed to remedy that for the universal units.
I'm not sure what is wrong. I haven't gone at the harness with a multimeter yet, but the radio powers on when the vehicle is turned on, and shuts off when the key is removed, so I was under the assumption that the Joying harness is pinned correctly for 12v and accessory. I can even watch the dash change from US to Metric when the car turns on after being left sitting for some longer amount of time. This leads me to believe its something with the unit not holding the app's settings.

In regards to the steering wheel controls, I wasn't sure if the CAN settings inside the radio for BMW forces certain options, but the flexibility to map them to my liking would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #33
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyMike3 View Post
I'm not sure what is wrong. I haven't gone at the harness with a multimeter yet, but the radio powers on when the vehicle is turned on, and shuts off when the key is removed, so I was under the assumption that the Joying harness is pinned correctly for 12v and accessory. I can even watch the dash change from US to Metric when the car turns on after being left sitting for some longer amount of time. This leads me to believe its something with the unit not holding the app's settings.

In regards to the steering wheel controls, I wasn't sure if the CAN settings inside the radio for BMW forces certain options, but the flexibility to map them to my liking would be nice.
Sorry, I didn't understand. Did you take the yellow wire from the joying unit and fuse tap a constant 12v in the fuse box? You might need to do that to retain settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #34
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

Quote:

Did you take the yellow wire from the joying unit and fuse tap a constant 12v in the fuse box? You might need to do that to retain settings.
Yeah that could be it. My joying wire harness came with the yellow wire connected in the BMW quadlock connector. I had to remove it from the connector and connect to constant power in the fuse box.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Vd1YnhBD/20190419-163411.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #35
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks to these posts that sparked my idea about using a joying unit. I did a quick DIY as my way of giving back. I have a more in depth review I will post soon too. Thanks to everyone who has shared their info!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...6#post26341566

Direct Youtube DIY below.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #36
thataverageguymike
Rep

I've been messing with my Joying head unit a bit the last week or so and ironed out some issues I had with it.

First, what isn't working - every time I turn on the car it still changes miles to kms and Fahrenheit to Celsius. I don't think this is lack of power to the head unit but I suspect has something to do with the CANBUS adapter? When my CANBUS adapter wasn't working or wired correctly (with steering wheel controls and whatnot) it didn't change the units on startup. As soon as it was connected correctly the problem started occurring.

I finally have my backup camera installed - that went pretty smoothly and works really well. I had to wire it to constant 12v from the battery (whatever came from the head unit wasn't sufficient) but the backup camera I ordered from Amazon actually had the relay with it so I didn't have to buy one separately. The CANBUS even curves the reverse lines with steering inputs as if it was OEM.

Using the ZLink app on the head unit to launch Android Auto doesn't give you full screen on my unit because the screen is too wide (running Android Auto natively does the same thing). In addition, you can only launch it on ZLink through USB. After a lot of Googling I found that Android Auto is scalable to any size screen but it's up to developers/manufacturers to implement it correctly, which Joying hasn't done here. It leaves a "window" off to the side that just shows the Android Auto logo which is a waste of space and just doesn't look great.

However... There is an app on the Google Play store called "Head Unit Reloaded" (HUR) that was developed on XDA Developers and is a container to launch Android Auto like you would on any other head unit - that is, it runs everything through the phone including the GPS, audio, phone calls, messages, internet connection, etc. This developer has also created a companion app for Android phones so you can wirelessly run Android Auto. It's a little involved to set up and get working but now that it works I'm loving it. As you can see from my picture it scales to use the entire screen now! As soon as you launch the HUR app it senses the phone and then launches Android Auto.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #37
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

I haven't been back to this thread a while. My only real issues are still the units always switching back to metric issue. All my SWC worked from the getgo. The unit seems to sometimes keep it's memory, and sometimes not but it's no big deal. By that I mean it quick boots to where I left off sometimes, and others it seems to go through a full boot. No real problems I just wait another 20 seconds before I start driving.

On rare occasion my camera will have a blank screen but it might happen 1 out of 10 times driving it. Lastely, the iPhone mirroring through USB or BT works well and I usually connect via USB so my iPhone will charge.

Overall, I can't complain. Thanks again to Stubbie Blue and others input.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #38
danny8787
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

HI there,

Where can i buy the can bus decoder?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #39
thataverageguymike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny8787 View Post
HI there,

Where can i buy the can bus decoder?
I sent an email to Joying customer service and on confirmation on me owning a Joying head unit (sent them a copy of my Amazon receipt) they sent me a payment page for like $20 or so and then sent it to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #40
burger
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hi, I'm in the process of ordering the Joying 9" unit with the E90 canbus harness and was wondering is it straight forward hooking the harnesses up together, ie which wires go with which and what about the canbus in/out plugs on the back of the unit.
Thanks for all the information you've posted on here, I'm sure I'm gonna need it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #41
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger View Post
Hi, I'm in the process of ordering the Joying 9" unit with the E90 canbus harness and was wondering is it straight forward hooking the harnesses up together, ie which wires go with which and what about the canbus in/out plugs on the back of the unit.
Thanks for all the information you've posted on here, I'm sure I'm gonna need it.
Watch PORTMOODY's video. It covers everything. About as plug and play as it gets. I put a Jensen in my daughters Mini and had to use $100 steering wheel control unit and splice everything in. The Joying probably woulda worked for that too with the BMW Canbus decoder.
Appreciate 0