BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Question Need help with OEM used / Valeo new Euro headlights

Hey guys, I need some help here.

I want to buy a pair of Euro LCI Xenon/AHL headlights.

There's a listing on eBay for a new Valeo unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-Headli...FV6AWC&vxp=mtr

There's also a company in Europe selling the same kind of headlight, OEM used here:

https://www.autowin.eu/en/product/bm...?s=63117273837

What is the difference between the OEM BMW / Valeo units? Why is the OEM used headlight around the same price as the Valeo new headlight?

Any help would be appreciated!

- Chris
      02-16-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
Why is the OEM used headlight around the same price as the Valeo new headlight?
Because they are used? jesus lol

Quote:
What is the difference between the OEM BMW / Valeo units?
Valeo is the supplier of E82 LCI xenon headlights. There is no difference between OE and Valeo as far as I know.

Google these Valeo part numbers for better search results:
3276420446187 (art. nr. 044618)
3276420446194 (art. nr. 044619)

BMW part numbers:
63 11 7 273 837
63 11 7 273 838

One OE headlight goes for 900ish Euros in Germany, it seems. Valeos tend to be 300-400 cheaper.
      02-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Lol

Maybe I should've asked if I'm sacrificing anything going with a valeo unit over the oem used unit. They only difference is that it won't have the original BMW part number sticker?
      02-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The valeo light is hundreds of dollars cheaper (new vs new) only because it doesn't have the BMW logos and stickers?
      02-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
The valeo light is hundreds of dollars cheaper (new vs new) only because it doesn't have the BMW logos and stickers?
I've personally seen and compared OEM stuff to OE - Mahle, Meyle, Bosch etc. and compared to the old OE parts pulled from the cars they looked identical to me. Ask other people on here, they'll most likely tell you the same thing.

One infamous example: TRW makes the E9x ///M3 suspension components. TRW sells them on Amazon for less money. The control arms have the M logo grounded off.

If you have a look around your car, you'll see logos of various brands. BMW and others switch between their suppliers all the time. E8x headlights and ballast come from Valeo, tail lights are from Hella, bulbs might be from Osram, etc.

OEMs might produce more parts than e.g. BMW wants so they are able to sell the products without the Roundel. Though those products do not have to come through the BMW QC process.

There are things that I'd only buy straight from BMW. I wouldn't worry about headlights, though I'd rather get them from Western countries than from Latvia and the whole ex-Soviet part of Europe. I know for a fact that VW AG motor plants, located here in Europe, send the better-performing and more quality parts/ engines to Audi. Or at least they did a number of years ago. They put them on the dyno and if a particular engine made more power, they sent it to Audi and/or Western Europe.

Just my 0.69 cents. There are people who know about this more than I do, just sayin lol

Have a look around on Ebay and the like, compare prices and especially shipping. I have managed to cop a used set of LCI xenons for 300 bucks.