BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #67
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
their target was not anything near the standards you'd find in a BMW (or any other make for that matter)
Wow that sounds harsh - and you know this how?
Quote:
Mitsu could increase all those things 10-fold and still only be on-par with your average mid-size sedan.
Is this hyperbole coming from actual experience driving an Evo 9 or are you simply parroting others' views? None of the preliminary reviews of the Evo I have seen have made any comparative statements about ride quality.

At this point all the reviews of both vehicles have been brief "first drives" anyway so snap judgements now would be premature to say the least. The nitty-gritty tends to get revealed later in the reviewing cycle.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #68
Sigma
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Is this hyperbole coming from actual experience driving an Evo 9 or are you simply parroting others' views?
I've owned an Evo VIII plus spent a lot of time on the track in my buddies Evo IX.

The comments weren't meant to be "harsh". The Evo sacrificied interior amenities to acheive its' ultimate performance goal and interior quality to achieve its' price goal. There's nothing wrong with that route; an Elise has a decidedly lacking interior as well for largely the same reasons. When looking at just the Evo it's not a fault. It becomes a substantial fault the moment you try comparing it to just about anything else, particularly when you bring semi-luxo-coupes into the mix. I wouldn't complain about the Lotus' interior quality or lack of amenities either; unless someone wantd to know whether they should get a 911 or an Elise -- at which point those differences become noticeable and (depending on the buyer) important.

I haven't sat in an Evo X, but I've seen it at 3 auto shows and have spent quite a bit of time driving the new Lancer. Unless Mitsu went through and replaced every single component of the interior of the new Lancer (and they haven't), it's not up to the par of your average automaker thesedays. That's not surprising considering the Lancer is a $14K car and that's what the Evo is working with interior-wise. I obviously haven't sat in the 1-series either, but I'm going to have to presume that in proper BMW-fashion, it might be lacking in style, but it will be well-made and certainly at least up to the standards of other automakers at a similar price-point.

I could be completely wrong and the Evo X will have an amazing interior and great driveability and actually be something worth comparing to similarly-priced vehicles. But it would take a massive improvement over the existing model to do it. And what I've seen personally hasn't made it look that way, and the initial reviews (while praising the improvements) haven't really seemed to be completely blown away by the improvements, only noting that there has been some.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #69
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Is this hyperbole coming from actual experience driving an Evo 9 or are you simply parroting others' views? None of the preliminary reviews of the Evo I have seen have made any comparative statements about ride quality.

At this point all the reviews of both vehicles have been brief "first drives" anyway so snap judgements now would be premature to say the least. The nitty-gritty tends to get revealed later in the reviewing cycle.

Almost every review mentioned ride-quality. They forgive Mitsu because thats not what the EVO was all about. It was such an issue that the new EVO will have alot less "feel" and more refinement in the chasis.

Thus, many are already complained that with trying to increase the quality of the EVo ride, they inadvertantly removed some of that awsome feel...!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #70
bobajoul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Smile what is market?

It seems that the market BMW is going after is not rice rocket- that is ably filled by EVO and STI, it really looks like they are going after nostalgia and cruiser market. My previous summer BMW was an M3Ci, wonderful car, fast and very exciting to drive, but after four years, it got too much to drive daily. I am getting a 1 because it seems to provide a nice transition between the M and a five series. I want a small, tossable fun car that is comfortable to drive daily- getting too old to deal with the road noise on the convert and the 3 has grown a lot in size- to a size near an old 5 class. This car reminds me more of the Mustang and the new Camaro- going for an emotional market as much as anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #71
EniLab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

BMW CFO, Michael Ganal, said BMW were expecting to sell approx. 25,000 of 1er coupe per year, at least half of them in US.

Only 25,000 coupes per year worldwide???

At least 13k units per year in US - that's about 1,100 units a month.

And I guess it is expected that more cabrios will be sold than coupes in US.

So, 2,500 of 1er cars (coupe + cabrio) per month sold in US market ... approx 30k annually?

Btw, BMW expect to sell 40k of X6 per year globally, more than half of them (20k) in US market.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #72
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
My question is even more apropos after the prices have been revealed?

Will it be a success???
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #73
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
My question is even more apropos after the prices have been revealed?

Will it be a success???
Their sales target is a little underwhelming. It does beg the question, "What is the purpose of the 1er coupe" besides the obvious "Expand BMW's market share by a relatively minute amount"?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #74
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

My opinion is that BMW is not very serious about 1-series. If it becomes an unexpected hit the company would not mind. If it does not, it does not matter to the company either. Either way, they won't lose money nor significant portion of sales on 3-series. The main purpose of this car is to compete lower market WITH 4-cylinders and diesels, which the company is not doing in the US. Meant for Europe and Asia where people are more serious about environment and find values in small cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #75
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJackM View Post
My opinion is that BMW is not very serious about 1-series. If it becomes an unexpected hit the company would not mind. If it does not, it does not matter to the company either. Either way, they won't lose money nor significant portion of sales on 3-series. The main purpose of this car is to compete lower market WITH 4-cylinders and diesels, which the company is not doing in the US. Meant for Europe and Asia where people are more serious about environment and find values in small cars.
I agree that BMW's marketing of the 1er coupe seems more niche oriented than that of the 1er hatches in Europe. It's a shame that BMW appears to feel that the US market is so different from the rest of the world. I would love to have the option of a 123d M Sport, but I won't hold my breath.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #76
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
Will the 1 be a success in the US?

Everyone on THIS board will probably answer yes.. but consider the following:

Cost
Size
Niche market
Value/Price ratio

So. Do you think it will be a success?

Are there enough enthusiasts like to keep sales numbers up?

Will it sell enough to keep BMW interested, or will it suffer the same fate as my beloved Ti?

Cost - I don't think it is too expensive .. but will reserve my opinion until I test drive ..

Size - Again .. I don't think this will be an issue .. it is small, but I don't think it will affect sales

Niche Market - ... I would consider anything a sport coupe to be in this market including the GT500 and New Z28/SS when it is out as well as any other 2dr rwd coupe ... I think the Evo and STi (4 door AWD) cars would be in another market ..

Value/Price ratio .. again .. I'll wait until I drive one

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0