BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #353
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Starck Hood

So, I have tried for ages to find a M3 style hood for my 1M and wonder if you are able to source that. The Starck Concept hood with hump and vents is much like what I want. Can you find/do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #354
BILLY MEIER
Rep
Drives: 1995 gti vr6

Im a new member here, and im looking to get in touch with gloss man, The auto body owner that repaired the 1m's.... For some reason i cant pm, Maybe becuase im new? There is a bmw 1 series on ebay that i would like to buy if it can be fixed for a fair price. I hope i get a pm from glossman, Or anyone that knows his shop number

I googled his shop name but the phone number does not even work?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #355
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY MEIER View Post
Im a new member here, and im looking to get in touch with gloss man, The auto body owner that repaired the 1m's.... For some reason i cant pm, Maybe becuase im new? There is a bmw 1 series on ebay that i would like to buy if it can be fixed for a fair price. I hope i get a pm from glossman, Or anyone that knows his shop number

I googled his shop name but the phone number does not even work?
Just go make a few more posts on threads. After 5 posts you should be able to PM.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #356
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
So, I have tried for ages to find a M3 style hood for my 1M and wonder if you are able to source that. The Starck Concept hood with hump and vents is much like what I want. Can you find/do this?
Try Slek designs

PM me for contact info if you cant find it
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #357
BILLY MEIER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Just go make a few more posts on threads. After 5 posts you should be able to PM.
Thanks the car im interasted in buying is this one wish glossman could fix it for somewhat cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-Series...US_Cars_Trucks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #358
BILLY MEIER
Rep

Guys and moderators, please don't get mad at me for bumping this thread, someone on here has to know gloss man phone number?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #359
dandandk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 1m ; 10 135i conv.; 88 m5

Quote:
Guys and moderators, please don't get mad at me for bumping this thread, someone on here has to know gloss man phone number?
hey, look up highline auto body located on flushing ny. that s his shop! good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #360
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

pm sent
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #361
BILLY MEIER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW 1M View Post
pm sent
THANK you , will hopefully buy this car and have him fix it, waiting for an email from gloss man
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #362
BILLY MEIER
Rep

Emailed him and got nothing in return, any one have his cell or work number? pm me if u do, thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #363
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

$50k buy it now for a salvaged 1M?

No freaking way
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #364
fireroasted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

He folks that are selling 1ms, are able or willing to hold on to them and wait for the 60k buyers. I have been shopping for a while and all the same cars are still for sale since June. Even these salvage ones are not selling, as those sellers seem to want 50k for a salvage version.

I saw several auctions go into 38k for a salvage without meeting reserve. I thought 35k was good value to offset the title issue, but was willing to go 40. However now the last several sees the eventual price to market correction happening, as the last two only got a 34k VO and a 32k Black highest bid. I think the new M2 and M4 announcement has buyers re evaluating the salvage hit when 45 or 50 gets them a new one of those.

There was even a scammer add on CL for 20k.

Some of those folks that are flippers and not drivers/owners may be sorry if they don't adjust their expectations in pricing soon. Some however are just fishing ads because they don't really need or want to sell anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #365
dandandk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 1m ; 10 135i conv.; 88 m5

Quote:
Emailed him and got nothing in return, any one have his cell or work number? pm me if u do, thanks again
Hey, i m telling you again, contact highline auto body located on flushing-ny. That s glossman repair shop. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #366
BILLY MEIER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandk View Post
Hey, i m telling you again, contact highline auto body located on flushing-ny. That s glossman repair shop. Good luck!
Thanks again, Will call him today,
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #367
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Update....it been quite a while...how did the cars turn out and were you successful in bring all four back to life? Any sold?
      09-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #368
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

Wow, thanks for reviving this thread Rikx1M. It's been a fascinating read about how cars can be repaired properly. Glassoman seems to have stopped visiting the forum, his last post was more than a year ago. From what I can gather, Glassoman probably made this thread as a way to document the repairs that he has done, and prove that it was done properly, so as to justify the high price that he wanted for them.

His attention to detail seems to be very good, but at the end of the day, a heavily repaired car can never be as good as one that has been taken care of and has not been in a smash. I have a feeling that people's expectations of the price of an ex-salvage car are far too low for the cost and amount of effort of properly repairing a car. I mean, he bought those wrecks for about $20k and people only expect to pay $10-15k more than that for a completely repaired one! I can see that parts alone could easily be that difference!

However, at the other end of the spectrum, the price he was asking for was getting close to what a non-salvaged, accident free car is worth. This makes sense, because there is no greater efficiency than a mass manufacturer churning out cars, and the sum of the assembled parts will be sold for far less than the high markups for each spare part. This means there is very little incentive to repair a car to proper procedures, since it will never be worth it compared to just getting one that has not been damaged. In other words, it's highly likely that any car with salvage title would have had shoddy repairs done on the cheap to make it economical to sell.

I have a few questions though, that hopefully someone who's familiar with repairing cars can answer.

1) How long do manufacturers keep making spare parts, sheet metal bodywork(fenders, roof, bumpers etc), chassis rails, etc, after a car is no longer in production? Would it be a lot harder to repair cars when new body parts are no longer available? (I would assume you would then need chop up other donor cars)

2) Are manufacturers obliged to sell EVERY part of a car as spares? Is it possible in theory to complete build a brand new car from new parts? (I realize it would probably cost 200%++ of a new one due to parts price markups)

3) Is it inevitable for the joins to rust or weaken first over time (considering the heat-cycle of welding, impurities in the joins etc)

4) What are the key ways to tell that a car has been repaired (whether done well or not) and is it possible to hide it well? I want to know so that I don't get burned again buying a repaired car that has been priced as a mint car.

(I bought a car 10 years ago that looked great but turned out to have been in a big accident in the rear left. I only found out many years into the ownership when I pulled some of the interior out to fit some wires. The repairs were crap - all the welds and repair joins were rusting on the inside, including repairs to the chassis rail. The exterior looked fine, although some rust spots were starting after a few years. It was a used car that was brought into the country from Japan, so probably was repaired there and exported without being declared that it was a salvage title. Really sucks, cause I lost a lot of money on that. Car seemed to drive ok, although I never tracked it, which if I did may have revealed chassis problems.)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #369
Teqnik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Wow, four 1Ms? That's pretty awesome! Keep up the great work.

I'd love to know how much they'd sell for after you've fixed them up.

The stripes don't do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #370
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by acediac View Post

1) How long do manufacturers keep making spare parts, sheet metal bodywork(fenders, roof, bumpers etc), chassis rails, etc, after a car is no longer in production? Would it be a lot harder to repair cars when new body parts are no longer available? (I would assume you would then need chop up other donor cars)

IIRC from many years ago: minimum of 15 years after end of sales by law of most EU countries. Perhaps longer nowadays?. Afterwards some brands voluntarily keep stock or even outsource stock parts as a business to 3rd parties. Do not know what the BMW policy is yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #371
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Sad to see this thread just die...all that love and effort to restore these cars and then like a poof of smoke, Glassoman55 is gone...
Is there anyone else restoring 1Ms?
      08-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #372
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
IIRC from many years ago: minimum of 15 years after end of sales by law of most EU countries. Perhaps longer nowadays?. Afterwards some brands voluntarily keep stock or even outsource stock parts as a business to 3rd parties. Do not know what the BMW policy is yet.
This bothers me also...what happens in 15-20 years when parts start drying up and the car can't be repaired as all the salvage cars are premium priced and BMW is no longer making 1M parts....
      08-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #373
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Sad to see this thread just die...all that love and effort to restore these cars and then like a poof of smoke, Glassoman55 is gone...
Is there anyone else restoring 1Ms?
Did he close his shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
This bothers me also...what happens in 15-20 years when parts start drying up and the car can't be repaired as all the salvage cars are premium priced and BMW is no longer making 1M parts....
The good part is many mechanicals pair up with M3 products. Sheet metal might be a problem, though.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #374
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Did he close his shop?

The good part is many mechanicals pair up with M3 products. Sheet metal might be a problem, though.
Maybe I should buy a couple of fenders to future proof repairs ;-)