Sorry just seen your post!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #46
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

Jason also reported the exhaust drone between 2000 - 3000 RPM in his 1M review. I'm curious to know what's causing it as well. Hopefully BMW can get it fixed ASAP if it really is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #47
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

maybe the exhaust is just louder, period? i mean, it's not supposed to be as quiet as a 135i...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #48
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsfb View Post
The outcome is that they swopped the exhaust from their demo onto mine and they say It's now ok. They also said my original exhaust didn't drone on the demo.
Great, off to an unsuspecting new customer (who will likely be charged over MSRP for the drone 'privilege')
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #49
johnsfb
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Great, off to an unsuspecting new customer (who will likely be charged over MSRP for the drone 'privilege')
I said the exhaust taken off my car DIDN'T drone on the demo!!
Also, nobody is paying over standard BMW price here.

Last edited by johnsfb; 05-23-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #50
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

I really don't understand the "drone" complaint. I have 650 miles on mine, the drone is nothing worth complaining to the dealer about, I strongly feel that this is due to the horizontal positioning of the rear muffler assembly.

As was in the E46 M3, and if my memory serves me correct the E46 M3 had smaller diameter piping, but still had a distinct volume of sound at lower RPM's.

I used to sell BMW's at Paul Miller in 2004, and never had a customer complain about exhaust resonance in the vehicle, and several test drives were on car's with under 50 miles on them.

I seriously think to much time is being spent on over analyzing what is probably just a characteristic of design, and not a potential issue.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #51
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
I said the exhaust taken off my car DIDN'T drone on the demo!!
Also, nobody is paying over standard BMW price here.
They swapped your exhaust cans with ones on another car???? What is your dealers name?

It is really strange that it stopped on both vehicles... No comment on that other than a poor installation from factory (poor may not be the correct word... Perhaps incorrect). If this is case then it is an installation issue we are looking at can be corrected easily.

It appears that reading a lot of the reviews and comments something like 80% of these cars are displaying the characteristic that you are describing (including mine).

Full review, full review, full review.

Take your car for a spin and let us know ,
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #52
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
I wish to clarify something with this drone. This isnt just a drone at a certain RPM. There is a (BOOOOOOM) change of volume and tone under light load around 60-70mph (usually crusing) at random times. It almost 3x louder what it was just driving at that moment before. You would think something broke on your car all of the sudden, or ur exhaust had unbolted. I thought my car broke, put it on a lift, all was well, idk wtf causes it because I can not seem to control it coming on, but if I mash the gas it seems to go away for a few min.

This "boom" is loud and annoying and it screws with ur mind while driving, cuz its loud and unexpected. Other people in my car have asked me "wtf just happend to ur exhaust?". I sort have come to the conclusion that it originates somewhere in the engine, because JB3 fixed it, but JB4 broke it again. And a muffler is just a muffler, but the OEM obviously had a feature to hide this noise.

I've learned to deal with it, but it still annoys the hell out of me.
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #53
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hind View Post
I wish to clarify something with this drone. This isnt just a drone at a certain RPM. There is a (BOOOOOOM) change of volume and tone under light load around 60-70mph (usually crusing) at random times. It almost 3x louder what it was just driving at that moment before. You would think something broke on your car all of the sudden, or ur exhaust had unbolted. I thought my car broke, put it on a lift, all was well, idk wtf causes it because I can not seem to control it coming on, but if I mash the gas it seems to go away for a few min.

This "boom" is loud and annoying and it screws with ur mind while driving, cuz its loud and unexpected. Other people in my car have asked me "wtf just happend to ur exhaust?". I sort have come to the conclusion that it originates somewhere in the engine, because JB3 fixed it, but JB4 broke it again. And a muffler is just a muffler, but the OEM obviously had a feature to hide this noise.

I've learned to deal with it, but it still annoys the hell out of me.
This does not address why some cars have the drone and others do not
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #54
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
This does not address why some cars have the drone and others do not
Well if I were a master automotive engineer or a BMW Engine designer I could address it, but sadly... I'm neither...
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #55
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
They swapped your exhaust cans with ones on another car???? What is your dealers name?
Why, are you planning on taking you car to Scotland to get it fixed? ;-)
      05-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #56
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
Why, are you planning on taking you car to Scotland to get it fixed? ;-)
I will likely not take my car to Scottland

However, the reason I would like to know which dealership the vehicle has been taken to is so that my dealer and other dealers can call in to share information about the solution to the exhaust drone problem.

That said, because this exhaust drone is something that is heard and perceived by many of the owners it would be best to facilitate the exchange of information so that the problem can be diagnosed and correct easily while the vehicle is under warrantee.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #57
Boxercup
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Now, I love my driving but I'm a naff mechanic, so please don't slate me....

Could the intermittent drone be something connected to 'whatever it is' that makes the exhaust so loud on cold start up.

There must be a flap or whatever that opens/closes on start up to make the superb warble. If that somehow operates intermittently at certain revs by mistake, maybe a drone....?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #58
johnsfb
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

It is really strange that it stopped on both vehicles... No comment on that other than a poor installation from factory (poor may not be the correct word... Perhaps incorrect). If this is case then it is an installation issue we are looking at can be corrected easily.

It appears that reading a lot of the reviews and comments something like 80% of these cars are displaying the characteristic that you are describing (including mine).

I’ve now been for a run with the other exhaust on and the drone is ALMOST completely gone. It now comes in about 200 rpm higher but compared to before, the difference is like chalk and cheese. I can get along with the way it is now.

Yes, the dealer put the one from the demo on mine and tested it, finding it to be ok.
They expected mine to cause problems on the demo but that didn’t happen so they had a quick fix although they don’t know how/why.

They also said that if mine did cause problems on the demo, it would have had to go back on my car and investigations started again from there, so I think I’m very lucky indeed.

I’m sorry this doesn’t help others who have this drone but the dealer said they have informed BMW about it because this was all warranty work.

With so many people getting this I would say there has to be some underlying problem though.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #59
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve now been for a run with the other exhaust on and the drone is ALMOST completely gone. It now comes in about 200 rpm higher but compared to before, the difference is like chalk and cheese. I can get along with the way it is now.

Yes, the dealer put the one from the demo on mine and tested it, finding it to be ok.
They expected mine to cause problems on the demo but that didn’t happen so they had a quick fix although they don’t know how/why.

They also said that if mine did cause problems on the demo, it would have had to go back on my car and investigations started again from there, so I think I’m very lucky indeed.

I’m sorry this doesn’t help others who have this drone but the dealer said they have informed BMW about it because this was all warranty work.

With so many people getting this I would say there has to be some underlying problem though.
I will take my car to the dealership this afternoon and report what they are saying about it as well.

Reading the thread it does not seem like others are taking action, ie. going to the dealer to determine if there is a problem or not, as much as you and I.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #60
johnsfb
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I will take my car to the dealership this afternoon and report what they are saying about it as well.

Reading the thread it does not seem like others are taking action, ie. going to the dealer to determine if there is a problem or not, as much as you and I.
Yes, I took my car back to the dealer the second day I had it and they immediately accepted it shouldn't be like that and booked it in as soon as they could which was a week later.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #61
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Quote:
IÂ’ve now been for a run with the other exhaust on and the drone is ALMOST completely gone. It now comes in about 200 rpm higher but compared to before, the difference is like chalk and cheese. I can get along with the way it is now.

They expected mine to cause problems on the demo but that didnÂ’t happen so they had a quick fix although they donÂ’t know how/why.

They also said that if mine did cause problems on the demo, it would have had to go back on my car and investigations started again from there, so I think IÂ’m very lucky indeed.

IÂ’m sorry this doesnÂ’t help others who have this drone but the dealer said they have informed BMW about it because this was all warranty work.

Just wish I had mine but keep up the good work and maybe by my October allocation it will be ironed out at the assembly line . Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #62
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxercup View Post
Now, I love my driving but I'm a naff mechanic, so please don't slate me....

Could the intermittent drone be something connected to 'whatever it is' that makes the exhaust so loud on cold start up.

There must be a flap or whatever that opens/closes on start up to make the superb warble. If that somehow operates intermittently at certain revs by mistake, maybe a drone....?
In that other recent thread, the M Chassis Engineer said that there weren't any valves or flaps on the Exhaust. IIRC there is one on the RS3, maybe you were thinking of that?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #63
VO1M
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

Mine certainly does it, but it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the car at the moment - but it does get annoying at steady speeds on built up motorways.

As you say, it must be installation. The adjustment of the brackets and/or rubber hangers must be critical and affecting the resonant frequency of the system. Perhaps a case of loosening all the brackets/joints and re-tightening in a new position.

Anyway,I suppose it's a problem for the dealers to solve!

Last edited by VO1M; 05-24-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #64
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO1M View Post
Quote:

Mine certainly does it, but it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the car at the moment - but it does get annoying at steady speeds on built up motorways.

As you say, it must be installation. The adjustment of the brackets and/or rubber hangers must be critical and affecting the resonant frequency of the system. Perhaps a case of loosening all the brackets/joints and re-tightening in a new position.

Anyway,I suppose it's a problem for the dealers to solve!
Took a ride with BMW tech this afternoon who heard the droning exhaust and said that it was the natural sound of the engine under load.

They have documented that my vehicle is making the noise and have recommended to re-visit the issue once the vehicle is completely broken in. They added that much may not change in the tone but they need time to collect info from BMW.

Complicating the issue is that they do not have an opportunity to compare the vehicle's exhaust tone to another one on their lot... as they do not have any other 1m's in stock. The best that I can do is to meet up with a local 1m owner (Toronto) and we can go for test rides with each-other to see if there is a difference between models.

JohnSFB: If swapping the exhaust was enough to fix your issue then that is really amazing, however it does not address or identify what is causing the drone tone to be amplified when the vehicle's engine is on a heavy load in 6th between 2200 - 2800rpm. If you can hit your dealer for more information or have them call BMW Germany to find out more information that would be helpful to identify the problem.

Last edited by rapter; 05-24-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #65
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Took a ride with BMW tech this afternoon who heard the droning exhaust and said that it was the natural sound of the engine under load.
I would have responded with "This is the natural sound of your nose breaking under my fist".
      05-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #66
johnsfb
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

They have documented that my vehicle is making the noise and have recommended to re-visit the issue once the vehicle is completely broken in. They added that much may not change in the tone but they need time to collect info from BMW.
I had my 1200 mile service done while the car was in (at 1117 miles) and that drone was exactly the same right up till then from day one.
Appreciate 0