BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
zeljko
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: Bmw e87 116i

I bought a lemon - E87 116i help troubleshooting problems

Little backstory. I was in car search when this BMW popped up near place that i live. Went to a person to check car. Non of this problems (except heating) was existent at a time, problems was there but i did't noticed them. Car is with 116i n45 engine

1st problem with car that i didn't noticed was engine noise, like valve rattle. But problem occurs only on highway when car is not on load. f.e. when driving highway downhill around 3000 rpm. Problem occurs occasionally, can't hear it everyday. Loose chain, vanos? Is there way to check loose chain without opening valve cover? Can i test chain tensioner somehow? Test from ista+ vanos test (in attachment 1)

2nd one is with white-blueish smoke from exhaust. Again, it occurs occasionally f.e. city driving or when misfire than i get cloud of smoke behind me. and i got to add 1l of oil for around 800km. Found out that it could be oil separator, but i could not find anything on google about it

3rd is that misfires when driving slow. After misfire cloud of smoke is produced

4th and most annoying is blower direction and heating. Blower direction doesn't work, nor seat heating nor air recirculation, but i blower speed works, i can set it to any speed, but blows air(hot) only through defrost. I have manual controls with ac. Checked all fuses checked wires to FSU, nothing. and cold weather is coming fast. Can it be that FSU is faulty?
only shown errors on ista+ (in attachment 2)
Attached Images

Last edited by zeljko; 10-22-2019 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Re-teach the flap motor positions and run a flap calibration. It sounds like someone has fiddled around before
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
zeljko
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: Bmw e87 116i

Update - things that i done:

First tried to delete errors, with no success. Error just pop back,
Control panel responded to ISTA functions (turn all lights, can read potentiometer angle, ...), checked that out
flaps stuck at 255%
Tried to readdress motors position, no changes,
Checked all fuses, all good,
Battery was around 12.4V, so i checked that out
According to newtis.info documentation flap motors are connected in line so if first motor fail rest wont work. So i put 2nd and 3rd in place of first flap motor. No good
Checked all cables for open circuit or high resistance, all looks good
Bought new fsu, no changes,
Bought used klima control panel, no changes
I have run out of ideas what to look.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

You might have to pull the heaterbox or at least inspect what you can of the wiring to the flaps. Usually you cannot plug them in incorrectly as the wire length dictates logical position.

You may also have mechanical damage to the flaps - eg. jammed or driven past their normal range of movement
Appreciate 0