BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Another example of government regulation back firing

https://cdllife.com/2019/truck-fatal...elds-to-blame/

Eld was purpose as a knee jerk reaction over a celebrity getting maime due to someone violating HOS rules so now with ELD truck accidents are up possible due to the driver being distracted by the eld device.

I figure if the ecig ban occurs ecig will have a similar story as that blantly looks like a knee jerk reaction by state and federal officals.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Iíve been thinking about this for hours. I donít think I agree on the increase in accidents being due to ELDs. I imagine youíre in the business too being you posted a CDL life link. Weíve been on ELDs for almost 20 years and did it for safety reasons and to eliminate the chance of running over HOS. With the technology today, you can monitor speed, sudden decelerations, all kinds of stuff. Most big companies use this info to identify problem drivers. Anytime a driver has a violation it affects the companyís safety stats. Cant have that. Insurance is a fortune.

Iím not sure whether the number of small carriers or one man carriers that donít necessarily care about safety versus making a buck would drive the percentage up on accidents. Possible? Maybe. I think the HOS rules probably have more of a link to accident rates. Drivers can no longer take breaks when they want. Maybe theyíre not tired when they must take their break. The laws should be written by people that understand the business and have actually driven a truck.

I love the technology. All our tractors are speed governed. We also have drive cams which have had a huge impact on BS claims. Someone calls to complain or file a BS claim, we say let me check the camera and tell them what really happened. Crickets.

Years ago, there were companies that would load on the east coast friday night and be in LA Monday. Thatís pretty scary and with ELDs that can no longer happen. Iím typing on my phone so forgive any typos.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Iíve been thinking about this for hours. I donít think I agree on the increase in accidents being due to ELDs. I imagine youíre in the business too being you posted a CDL life link. Weíve been on ELDs for almost 20 years and did it for safety reasons and to eliminate the chance of running over HOS. With the technology today, you can monitor speed, sudden decelerations, all kinds of stuff. Most big companies use this info to identify problem drivers. Anytime a driver has a violation it affects the companyís safety stats. Cant have that. Insurance is a fortune.

Iím not sure whether the number of small carriers or one man carriers that donít necessarily care about safety versus making a buck would drive the percentage up on accidents. Possible? Maybe. I think the HOS rules probably have more of a link to accident rates. Drivers can no longer take breaks when they want. Maybe theyíre not tired when they must take their break. The laws should be written by people that understand the business and have actually driven a truck.

I love the technology. All our tractors are speed governed. We also have drive cams which have had a huge impact on BS claims. Someone calls to complain or file a BS claim, we say let me check the camera and tell them what really happened. Crickets.

Years ago, there were companies that would load on the east coast friday night and be in LA Monday. Thatís pretty scary and with ELDs that can no longer happen. Iím typing on my phone so forgive any typos.
I'm leaning towards it a factor as it second guess individual operator judgement, sort of what occured in NJ with red light camera causing a higher rate of accident at intersection because you don't know if the person infront is going to pass the yellow or suddenly slam on his breaks. I do agree that the law had good intention as the walmart driver show obviouse abuse in that industry but plenty of independent drivers and business clearly stated the blanket eld manadate was not the ideal method. Just like right now the purpose ecig ban is completely ignoring industry/individual input and just reacting to emotions and pushing to outlaw legal and legitimate business due to individual purchasing products from questionable places.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Don’t even get me started on the red light cameras in NJ. They installed one at an intersection where I made a right on red. I got three f’ing tickets in one week for not coming to a complete stop before making the right on red at 6:30 in the morning. I’m talking a slow roll, not a complete disregard. There is a red light cam on my commute. So yes, if I see I’m not going to make it across before the number countdown, I’m stopping. Such stupidity.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 10-28-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

We killed the fucking red light cameras here in Missouri. It was glorious.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Same in jersey
Appreciate 1
NickyC5329.00

10-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Same in jersey
Good people!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Lucky me, I got in before they killed it. The new thing here in NY is the expansion on speed cameras. Until recently, they were only in school zones during school hours. No mas. Then they changed it to all hours and increased the distance from schools. Now they are going up everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

ugh yellow lights tickets; revnue harvesting at its finest. 100% safer to blast through intersection than slam on brakes. welcome to america where all rules are backwards.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lucky me, I got in before they killed it. The new thing here in NY is the expansion on speed cameras. Until recently, they were only in school zones during school hours. No mas. Then they changed it to all hours and increased the distance from schools. Now they are going up everywhere.
Off course because NYC government never has enough money to piss away.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Off course because NYC government never has enough money to piss away.
Quite the opposite. The cameras are being installed for free by private companies, and NYC gives them a cut of the fines that they collect from the cameras.

Between the anonymous whistle-blower and speed/red light cameras, I guess that the right to face your accuser is only a memory at this point.....
      10-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

cant blame this on ELD. you can blame it on an increased number of contract drivers and small freight companies whoring themselves out for bottom dollar.

over the last 10 years or so, and significantly in the last 3-4, ive seen a jump in the number of independent contract haulers that undercut each other till there is barely any money to be made. So how do they make their money? Cutting corners. Safety, Quality, Cost. You cant have all 3, and these drivers cant sacrifice cost or quality in this market, so Safety gets sacrificed.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Well, at least we have the safety that comes from random large vehicles stopping at green lights at CONTROLLED railroad crossings. Because those arms/lights fail ALL THE TIME - smh
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
cant blame this on ELD. you can blame it on an increased number of contract drivers and small freight companies whoring themselves out for bottom dollar.

over the last 10 years or so, and significantly in the last 3-4, ive seen a jump in the number of independent contract haulers that undercut each other till there is barely any money to be made. So how do they make their money? Cutting corners. Safety, Quality, Cost. You cant have all 3, and these drivers cant sacrifice cost or quality in this market, so Safety gets sacrificed.
It's coming from both ends. The big boys are doing the same stupid thing they do every time the market gets soft and cut rates $0.30, $0.40, $0.50 per mile to make sure their trucks are rolling, which causes the downward rate spiral. Then you have the really small guys being pressured by the big brokers to do loads for less so the brokers don't loose their margins or their market share.

This worries me. Although the economy is doing well, trucking saw the downturn with a soft market before the recession back in '08.
      10-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Donít even get me started on the ted light cameras in NJ. They installed one at an intersection where I made a right on red. I got three fíing tickets in one week for not coming to a complete stop before making the right on red at 6:30 in the morning. Iím talking a slow roll, not a complete disregard. There is a red light cam on my commute. So yes, if I see Iím not going to make it across before the number countdown, Iím stopping. Such stupidity.
Quote:
Quote:
Same in jersey
Quote:
Good people!
We still have them but even the cops say don't worry about paying them. Such BS.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Fair and objective hearings don't take place in secret.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
Dagamus_NM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 x1, '10 m3, '91 332iC

Quote:
Same in New Mexico. Parasitic waste. Ours gave speeding tickets too. The money all went out of state. There was no benefit to it here.

Yet there is always some dumbass pol that wants to bring them back. Most people have short attention spans and forget things easily but BS tickets that you cannot challenge and go on your credit if unpaid are not likely to be forgotten by the public here.

The vaping regs will push people back to smoking. Nasty industry all around and the targeting of kids is really sleezy.

ELD is just modernization as far as I see it. I have a class A with all of the endorsements. I don't use it but I have it just in case times get tough and I need to provide for my family. I would have no problem with ELD.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #17
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
We still have them but even the cops say don't worry about paying them. Such BS.
I learn log ago that your expected to either keep quite or tell the truth to an officer, the officer is under no obligation to be truthful or honest with you.
Appreciate 1