BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #67
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Did anyone get word from the dealer/BMW on this being a recognized issue. I'd be interested in the related PUMA number.

This being a 1M dedicated part (plus e82 M mirror retrofits), a possible design flaw, might sooner or later reach a lot of us.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #68
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

For those of you who had the mirrors replaced by the dealer, have the cracks reappeared?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #69
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

No cracks on mine. Probably the dude/dudette in charge of torquing the 1M mirrors was on holiday, sick or already dispatched to another department the day of my 1M production (June 2011).
      06-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #70
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

The dealer just ordered me a new passenger mirror as it had the same crack as everyone else reported , thought I would get it replaced before my warranty expires
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:55 AM   #71
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

Both of mine. Discovered it a month ago.
I think it has to do with driving too fast. The mirrors can't handle warp speed...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 05:49 AM   #72
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Just checked my car and it has this on both will be asking bmw about it on friday when its in for a fault with the lights

Have the replaced ones cracked ?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 05:53 AM   #73
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I had both mine replaced under warranty some 6 months ago, and so far no cracks.. I believe the initial issue was from over tightening the internal torque screws.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:23 AM   #74
Chrish
Registered
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Mark,

Had both of mine replaced under warranty about 6 months ago by BMW dealer - no questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #75
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I'm guessing this is what everyone is talking about? Looks like a crack is forming. My question:

Is this easy for the dealer to replace? Will they cause a larger issue? Is this a known issue or will I need to fight with the dealer for warranty?

Only seems to be on my driver side:
Attached Images

04-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #76
GAZ 345
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 1M

i think this must be a known issue with bmw,mine went in for the passenger mirror & they changed both,no problem's after change

Last edited by GAZ 345; 04-26-2015 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 04:39 AM   #77
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

BMW said its not a problem they know about LOL

I will have to take it up with BMW Customer services on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #78
PeterSharon
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Hi guys
my baby is having exactly the same issue
my 1M is in Madeira only use it on holidays noticed last Christmas that i had a big crack on both mirrors contacted Bmw Madeira and in turn they contacted BMW Portugal and they totally refuse to change the mirrors under warranty no reason was specified on their email
They insist i have to pay for it even after i pointed them on to your forum to see the amount of people that have had the same problem and everyone was replaced under warranty
I wonder if its worth it trying to find out the email and get in contact with BMW Germany
Any help will be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 03:59 AM   #79
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

It's a result of the factory over torquing the internal holding screws during assembly.

Had both mine replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #80
Lauting
Rep
Drives: Searching for 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSharon
Hi guys
my 1M is in Madeira only use it on holidays noticed last Christmas that i had a big crack on both mirrors contacted Bmw Madeira and in turn they contacted BMW Portugal and they totally refuse to change the mirrors under warranty no reason was specified on their email
They insist i have to pay for it even after i pointed them on to your forum to see the amount of people that have had the same problem and everyone was replaced under warranty
I wonder if its worth it trying to find out the email and get in contact with BMW Germany
If you don't mind me asking could you share the cost of this replacement?

Thanks,
Alex
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:38 AM   #81
Lauting
Rep
Drives: Searching for 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSharon
Hi guys
If you don't mind me asking could you share the cost of this replacement?

Thanks,
Alex
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #82
PeterSharon
Rep

Hi guys

just to share my experience with you

Since BMW Portugal would not replace my mirrors went on holiday last month and on the last the day decided to remove my mirrors so i could bring them back to the UK and try a fix reinforcing the specific piece that just cracks

Removing them is pretty easy there are you tube videos about it just remember a 3rd screw that`s underneath the rubber have to lift rubber to remove 3rd holding screw

None of the mirror 3 holding screws are actually attached to that bit that keeps on breaking and actually that bit is a separate bit all together that is just held in place by 1 little screw on the middle and 2 little plastic pins to keep it in place from the inside i personally still dont understand how it breaks neither does my father as there is absolutely nothing doing any pressure on it the bit is actually reinforced on the inside i suppose is just bad plastic bad bunch and they just break with heat or something

Brought the bits with me and im planning on filling them up with glue to reinforce it all round and have them resprayed so i can put them back next year hopefully wont happen again

All the best everyone
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 04:46 AM   #83
PeterSharon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSharon View Post

Since BMW Portugal would not replace my mirrors went on holiday last month and on the last the day decided to remove my mirrors so i could bring them back to the UK and try a fix reinforcing the specific piece that just cracks

Removing them is pretty easy there are you tube videos about it just remember a 3rd screw that`s underneath the rubber have to lift rubber to remove 3rd holding screw

None of the mirror 3 holding screws are actually attached to that bit that keeps on breaking and actually that bit is a separate bit all together that is just held in place by 1 little screw on the middle and 2 little plastic pins to keep it in place from the inside i personally still dont understand how it breaks neither does my father as there is absolutely nothing doing any pressure on it the bit is actually reinforced on the inside i suppose is just bad plastic bad bunch and they just break with heat or something

Brought the bits with me and im planning on filling them up with glue to reinforce it all round and have them resprayed so i can put them back next year hopefully wont happen again

All the best everyone
Morning

after close inspection and testing the small screw holding the bit on place is actually the guilty party
BMW used a self tapping screw when the screw is in i can see the crack very easily it sort of lifts up when its out crack almost disappears
easy fix is just a smaller screw
will post some pictures but i have to resize them
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #84
PeterSharon
Rep

Quote:

All the best everyone
Morning

after close inspection and testing the small screw holding the bit on place is actually the guilty party
BMW used a self tapping screw when the screw is in i can see the crack very easily it sort of lifts up when its out crack almost disappears
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
eeghie299.50
      09-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #85
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Morning

Would be interested in what size screw you ended up using. THX
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #86
PeterSharon
Rep

hi
took the bits to a friend of mine that works in a high end paint garage in Park Royal London
he used some sort of flat zigzag piece of steel that that is actually pushed in the plastic with heat inside where the screw pushes up to reinforce the all piece
he said to me they used them a lot to fix cracked bumpers
put them back last year with same screw and no crack ever since
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      04-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #87
Holly White
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Mirror cracks

Have found the same cracks on both sides... A bit late for a warranty claim though.

My first post on this great forum! So much knowledge. Will tell about the car somewhere in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #88
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Uh oh. I'll check my tonight when I get home. If it's a torque issue on the retaining screws, then simply backing them out a half turn or so would sufficiently reduce the pressure on the part and eliminate FUTURE cracks, or widening of the current cracks.
Appreciate 0